Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dumped my garage door opener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I replaced the remote garage door opener with an aftermarket system called Flash2Pass. Cost $79.95. There system includes a new RF receiver that is wired to the terminals that the remote button is wired to. If the receiver still doesn't have enough voltage, a wall-wart can be plugged into the back of the receiver. I mounted my receiver and adapter on the ceiling near the garage door opener to take advantage of the plug outlet and short run to the motors terminals.
The RF transmitter can be wired to your hi/lo beam switch several ways depending on whether you have a fog flash relay installed or not. The f2ptechnologies web page has posted a complete list of car models and the normal installation. Since I have the fog flash option when the headlights are off, I wired the transmitter direct to the fog light wiring. Mounted the transmitter with a dot of velcro and that was it.
The RF transmitter is activated by flashing 2x, the range for my installation is excellent. The transmitter could be mounted in a more out-ofthe-way spot in the trunk.
The customer service is excellent too, Chris de Janasz responded to my email questions quickly and helped out. He's familiar with 914s too.

Here's some pics of my set up and what it looks like.

1. Package as it arrived

Here's som
jim_hoyland
2. The receiver:
jim_hoyland
3. Wiring to the motor
jim_hoyland
4. RF transmitter in car, doesn't need to be this far forward. It has plenty of range
bandjoey
Can a kid witha flashlight open the door? I like this but what's the security?
Richard Casto
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 17 2012, 01:44 PM) *

At first when I read the thread title I thought it was some type of photo sensor that detected your flashing your lights, but it still looks to be a an RF based system like a standard remote. But instead of a button press, it is wired into your car (in this case your headlights). So you flash your lights twice, the box in the car detects this and sends an RF signal to open the door.

In short, a kid with a flashlight, or a neighbor who watches you flash your headlights couldn't replicate and get in.

Richard
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 17 2012, 10:44 AM) *

As stated above, it's NOT the light that triggers the door to open; the RF transmitter ( see picture # 4 ) triggers the door to open, just like a remote does. The RF transmitter is wired to my fog lights. When the hi/lo switch is activated ( pulled back twice ) the transmitter gets 12 volts and send the RF signal to the receiver.

Kids with flashlights are not a problem smile.gif , or even adults with flashlights biggrin.gif
rnellums
This definitely has the cool factor. If only I had headlights...
jim_hoyland
Headlights are not required. Anything switched could be used or a momentary switch could be easily used. Just gotta give two bursts of 12v to the RF transmitter.
rnellums
But then why not just use the garage door transmitter.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(rnellums @ May 17 2012, 01:05 PM) *

But then why not just use the garage door transmitter.

Ever had a battery go dead? What about the time my dumbass left my opener in someone elses car?

Besides, its just cool.
GeorgeRud
I've installed some of these, and they do work pretty well. Sometimes you need an auxiliary power supply to the receiver, but the company was helpful when I needed help.
rnellums
I completely agree. It is super cool.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 17 2012, 12:22 PM) *

I've installed some of these, and they do work pretty well. Sometimes you need an auxiliary power supply to the receiver, but the company was helpful when I needed help.

agree.gif The older Genie garage doors require the auxilliary power, I have a pic of it . The receiver has a provision for a plug, also shown in a pic below. The company was very helpful and their web page provides good info. I'm going to do the Boxster next.
Justinp71
that is awesome, I'd like to put one in my dd, so that I don't have to worry about someone breaking into my car and stealing the garage door opener...
Rod
Thats very cool - are they available in the UK??!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Rod @ May 20 2012, 02:41 AM) *

Thats very cool - are they available in the UK??!

Go to the Fash2Pass website, you should be able to order. I can inquire from the person that helped me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.