Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil cooler in the fender well
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Title says it all, anyone ever do an oil cooler in the front passenger fender well like a 911? If so, got pics, results, etc?

Thanks!

And....if this has been discussed while I was away please just direct me to a linky. smile.gif
SLITS
You gonna drill the front fender for air flow like the 911?
seanery
I've been reading about the brass coolers used from 80-84, Bruce Anderson says that they dont need a lot of air flow to work. Especially compared to the trombone cooler. Thoughts?
hot_shoe914
My LE had one mounted in the passenger side rear fender when I got it.
jmill
Haven't done it but thats my plan. My 2.4 is small and I figure the loop cooler should keep temps in check.
GeorgeRud
I've always heard that the trombone type coolers had as much calling from the lines running up the side of the car, and the loop was mainly there to bring it back to the engine. Also, the 911 fender well is much more open than that found in a 914.
seanery
I've heard the same George, I'm interested in the brass coolers fitted in the fender well only used in US 83-84 and Euro 80-84 cars.
McMark
I would think that adding a vent/passage behind the fog lights would make this effective. I've always thought that the front fenders, under the turnsignals and/or headlights would be suitable, if done right. idea.gif
krk
QUOTE(seanery @ May 22 2012, 04:04 PM) *

I've been reading about the brass coolers used from 80-84, Bruce Anderson says that they dont need a lot of air flow to work. Especially compared to the trombone cooler. Thoughts?

I don't have too much to add. Some time back, I did an engine/tuneup class with BA -- he said pretty much exactly that. I have a 76 turbo carrera that came with the trombone -- the engine temps were barely acceptable in motion, and in a CA summer, at idle quickly go way too high. I swapped the trombone for a fan-driven radiator and the temp-life has been pretty good. If I didn't want to molest the front, I'd definitely be doing something to get more air in there tho.

hth.

--krk.
jim912928
I'm considering the same cooler for my 3.2....been considering passenger front and rear wheel wells...keep the thoughts coming!
pcar916
Hard lines do give off a lot of heat in addition to the cooler, but which cooler to use will depend on the engine. For 2.4L and above I'd not use anything short of the tube cooler and a 3.6 needs a "monster" because of the deletion of the engine cooler.

I have the tube cooler (can't remember the row count) from my '84 and I'll bring it to the 914 and see if it'll fit up there. 914's aren't as tall up there as the 911 is but it may work at a different angle. I'll shamelessly state it's for sale. PM me if interested.

Somebody may able to answer this before I can get to it early next week. I'll post if this isn't answered by then.

Good luck

Edit: Another thought, ignore if off-topic. To position...
There is a ton of space ahead of the right rear tire. I'm probably gonna put my transaxle oil cooler there and perhaps the auxiliary engine cooler too as it's getting beat up on the rear of the car. I know, the weight should go up front but I like short hoses.
zig-n-zag
I'll be using a 28-row brass oil cooler to cool my type 4.

Dimensions are about 4"x7-1/2"x19." Fins are around 1-1/2" wide.
And the cooler weighs some 8-1/2lbs.

I held it up in the front driver's side wheel well behind the blinker
just to get an idea. It's cramped in there. Not impossible tho.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.