Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Firewall blankie problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davidcalvin
Hi..

There is a blanket between my firewall and the engine. I suppose they all have this.. but mine appears to be falling and the wheel for the oil cooler (I think thats what that is) is burning a hole into the blanket.. ouch.

There are clips that appear to be there to hold the blanket up, but they arent really. There appears to once have been glue behind the blanket which may have been helping it to hug the firewall..

Can I fix this by just pouring some glue behind the blankie and pressing it back into shape?

If so.. what kind of glue should I use?

Photos follow :-)

Thanks,

David
davidcalvin
Nother one
davidcalvin
Checkout my dishpan hands!
davidcalvin
Dang it! Forgot the dishpan hand photo...
seanery
yank it!

early cars didn't have 'em.
I pulled it off my 74, too.

when painted it looks so much better, but more engine noise goes into the cabin.
SirAndy
they're water-traps!

usually, the firewall is rusted behind them because they trap water and it then just sits there for years ...

btw. this is not your oil-cooler biggrin.gif

and yes, early cars didn't have them blankies at all,
cool.gif Andy
davidcalvin
Gosh.. I hope mine isnt rusted. That would be a major drag.

So.. its cool if I at least cut a big honkin hole around the dang thing?

I wouldnt mind yanking it, actually, but how much more noise will it cause.. a hard question to answer, I know. But.. can you give me an idea?

Oh, and, if its not the oil cooler, what is it? I am so ignorant to car stuff. Thats one of the main reasons me an my dad never got along. pray.gif
bondo
looks like a smog pump.. yank that too! (unless it's a 76) smile.gif (it's more complicated than just yanking, but you can do it)
davidcalvin
Ohhh...

Bother. Its a 76. And I need to pass the smoggies.

bummer.

No matter. This car is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Maybe even since toilet paper.

David
davidcalvin
Okay..

I yanked almost all of it. I'll pull the rest later. At least I can drive the car now without the.. ahem.. smog pump catching fire.

I didnt see any rust behind the blankie.. but I did notice that my battery tray is pretty rusty.

Who would I get to replace the battery tray? A regular mechanic or a body person? Oooh that kind of sounds sexy.. I want to be a body person. Anyway.. who does that kind of stuff?

Thanks again for all your help,

David
nebreitling
if it's really gone, replace it. otherwise, just take a wire brush/grinder/POR15 to it. but check underneath the battery tray to make sure the car is still holding together!
McMark
David, how many times do I have to try and get your car up here? So on the list we have paint, stereo, rekeying your locks and now rust repair. lol2.gif

Rust Repair Thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.