Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: motor mount removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tommy914
I was just finishing up putting all the pieces on the front of the motor after re-sealing my oil pump, when I stripped the threads on one of the motor mounts. headbang.gif

Is there any way to get the motor mounts off without removing the fan shroud again!??

I can't seem to get a socket on there and have enough room to loosen the nuts. mad.gif

I'm real close to selling this thing and buying something that I can drive more than I work on it.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Oct 12 2004, 10:24 PM)

I'm real close to selling this thing and buying something that I can drive more than I work on it.

I've been there........
Just recently smile.gif cuz there's better times ahead.

Small open end & box end wrenches along with 1/4" drive sockets will fit (barely) and you oly get a slight amount of turn each time. With the engine out it's easier than with it in and I've done both however there's still not enough room to work but it can be done. Also, if you have a universal joint style extension you can sometimes contort it to work. If the mount is stripped it might not unscrew so try cutting through the rubber with a small bladed hack saw and you can just pull the nut/bolt out.

......b
SirAndy
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Oct 12 2004, 10:24 PM)
I can't seem to get a socket on there and have enough room to loosen the nuts. mad.gif

brad insists it can be done with the shroud on, but i couldn't manage to get a wrench or socket on there either.

for me, the solution was shroud-removal ...
smash.gif Andy
Root_Werks
I replace my broken 4cyl mounts with 6cyl engines. Problem solved. biggrin.gif
tommy914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Oct 13 2004, 11:01 AM)
I replace my broken 4cyl mounts with 6cyl engines. Problem solved. biggrin.gif

Sounds like a good idea. I'll see if the wife will buy it.

"yes dear, I broke the engine mount, so I'll need a whole new engine, and I need to upgrade to the 6 cyl since it has more safety features (as in it will get me out of the way of that SUV faster)"
ematulac
I had a similar problem this past weekend.

My motor mounts had both sheared in half. The bottom halves were easy to remove, but the top halves were a bitch. On the driver's side I removed the warm air guide to give me enough room to get a socket on the mount. I could only move the ratchet about 1 click or so each turn, so it took a while. But yeah, it can be done.

As for the other side, I drained the oil and removed the oil filter and was able to remove that one as well. This little 10 minute jobe took a lot longer than expected, but it was worth it.

Hang in there with the 914. When I feel like giving up on the darned thing I just take it for a drive and all is well again. wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.