Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine bay seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschefile2010
There has to be an easy way. Knowing how Porsche think these things out it can't be that difficult but for the life of me they don't want to slide out.

So these are the four pieces of rubber moulding that seal the engine in engine bay. It looks like the two side ones should slide out to the rear but then they run into the strip that holds the rear moulding and there doesn't seem to be any room to slide them out forwards. The only possibility seems to be taking the rear curved one out first, but then that is the only one that is still any good.

Can someone tell me what the trick is?
Thanks.........again World! confused24.gif
jimkelly
if they are trash - thye get pretty brittle over time - just pull them out and pry out what remains.

but wait on this advice until others weigh in.

there is the section that runs along the fire wall, 2 that run lengthwise of the car and 1 that runs over trans. which ones can't you remove?

ww914
If they are old and brittle like mine were, just tear them out. Clean the slots and fix any dents. The new rubber will go in pretty easy.

Click to view attachment

At this point in the picture, I had not cut the ends yet.
JStroud
I used a small flat head to carefully pry one side of the rubber out that fits in the channel, to get the ones out to save, but if you're replacing them, just pull them out, no need to spend a lot of time if you're throwing them away.

I carefully took mine out thinking I would reuse them, but once I got them out I decided I didn't want to use old rubber and bought new ones anyway.

Jeff
Mikey914
Just pull them out. Take a vice grip, grab it, and pull. If it falls apart, you didn't want it anyway. By all means if the are in good condition re use them, but they are now cheap enough you can replace the whole set very inexpensively. Unless you plan to have the motor backout soon, this is really the best time.

-Mark
rhodyguy
get the old ones out and clean as mentioned above. get a 1" cheap paint brush and a bottle of glycerin (local drugstore). liberally paint the glycerin in the recess of the tin and the edge of the seal that goes in the recess'. start at with the front piece so you can get the front ends of the sides matched up. put the bottom edge of the seal in the recess. use a something thin, wide and not sharp to work the top edge in and work your way back. a paint stir stick works great, just ease the sharp edges on the stick a bit with a piece of sand paper. take your time. the glycerin does not deteriorate the rubber and is mentioned in the haynes manual as the preferred seal dressing for all seals.
porschefile2010
Thanks guys. The two side ones are history so I will rip them out and clean up. Speaking of which WW914, you have done a nice clean up on your chassis-I think I have MORE work to do!
Cheers
Richard
rhodyguy
this task is way easier if the engine is out. the one over the rear engine tin is a real hassle. actually, all of them are with the engine in.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.