Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is a 1974 euro GB 2.0 914 with A/c a rare find?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
project914s
I recently purchased two 914s, a 1970 914 and a 1974 2.0 euro motor. The 1974 914 2.0 has the GB motor in it with original A/c system, center console. Is this a rare 914 to find? If so how much should a good running one with normal battery area rust run for?
project914s
bump confused24.gif
SirAndy
no, the car is not rare, the case is, however. but then again, euro spec pistons are commonly used in rebuilds these days, so it's nothing special other than the "B" instead of the "A" ...

sorry, i don't think it'll buy you that beach front property you were looking for ...
biggrin.gif Andy
anthony
Is it really not rare? I've never seen a Euro "VW-Porsche" 914 other than in pictures. That said, I don't think it would get much of a premium over a us '74 2.0L in the same condition.
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 13 2004, 08:37 PM)
Is it really not rare? I've never seen a Euro "VW-Porsche" 914 other than in pictures.

yes, but that's because you don't live in europe ...

that's like saying that "SpƤtzle" are rare because you don't see them here that often ...
wink.gif Andy
anthony
But that would make it somewhat rare over here. Still, I think we'd be talking a $500-1000 premium if the car had all it's original Euro trim and was in really nice shape. If it's not all original and just in average condition then I wouldn't see it be worth any additional amount.
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 13 2004, 08:42 PM)
if the car had all it's original Euro trim

if it had all the original euro trim it might be worth more to someone,
but it would also be very unpractical because the car would NOT be streetlegal!

there's a reason why there's a US-Spec 914,
wink.gif Andy
bob91403
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 13 2004, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 13 2004, 08:42 PM)
if the car had all it's original Euro trim

if it had all the original euro trim it might be worth more to someone,
but it would also be very unpractical because the car would NOT be streetlegal!

there's a reason why there's a US-Spec 914,
wink.gif Andy

What's the "illegal" part? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Oct 13 2004, 09:15 PM)
What's the "illegal" part? confused24.gif

all the parts that are different just for the US market ...
Mueller
i think "Euro" gets thrown around too much with regards to our motors...even if the motor is really a true european 2.0, it's no big deal and worth nothing more than bragging rights.........

I've got a '74 2.0 GA motor with a/c....not worth much than '73 2.0....the a/c can make the car worth more or less, depends on the condition and the buyer.
anthony
all the parts that are different just for the US market ...

Andy, I'm sorry to tell you that you car is not street legal!

But really what's the primary difference on a '74? No bumperettes?
SLITS
I think he is alluding to the lack of side marker lights and the bumper titties. Which makes my car "illegal" as I removed the lights (hate the look).

I also don't think any DMV employee would know what the hell they were looking at anyway. When I registered my '73, I had to show them where the VIN #s were and the only remark was "Where's the emission sticker?". I looked at him and said "It's a fucking 30 year old car and you expect the emission sticker to still be there? It's smog exempt anyway."

At least he didn't ask me how I liked my Fiat.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 14 2004, 09:31 AM)
I think he is alluding to

Euro-Spec:

no sidemarkers
no bumper tits front/rear
amber/white turn signals
amber/red/white taillights
higher compression engine
no smog equippement
km/h speedo

i know there is more, just can't think of it right now.
all of the above would make the car illegal to drive here in the US.

oh, and btw. a US-Spec car would be illegal to drive in germany,
for some of the same reasons.

cool.gif Andy
Tom73
Isn't the glass also different in Euro cars?
Gustl
as far as I know, in europe there was no A/C available ... idea.gif

Gustl
markb
Isn't a GB motor a 75/76 version? No such thing as "original A/C". All of it was dealer installed, some at the POE, some after it got to the actual dealerships. Those badges are readily available,. Does it have the VW emblem on the horn pad? US cars came with a Porsche crest embossed in the pad, European cars came with the Wolfsburg crest. I have a couple of those F/S, BTW. As for emissions equipment, the only external smog gear in '74 was the evap canister and lines. The Cap'n
markb
Just to clarify the last post, The Cap'n used the same computer that I had signed on with. I think I agree with what he said, tho. He knows more about these things than I do. smile.gif
MattR
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 14 2004, 08:47 AM)
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 14 2004, 09:31 AM)
I think he is alluding to

Euro-Spec:

no sidemarkers
no bumper tits front/rear
amber/white turn signals
amber/red/white taillights
higher compression engine
no smog equippement
km/h speedo

cool.gif Andy

My car is going to be WAAAAY illegal then. No sidemarkers, no bumper tits, 9.2 cr engine, and no smog crap. What the DMV doesnt know wont hurt them.
McMark
A euro spec car would be worth an additional 10% here in the US.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.