Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sound Options?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alphaogre
I just picked up a 1970 914-4 (my first) I trying to gather some general stuff to start the rebuild. I am looking for some sound options, and examples. I can weld and fabricate so I was thinking of making my own (i have done it before for other cars) but I am having some trouble finding some good references to what muffler or configuration would work best for these 914's.

It came with dual Webbers already on it, and what is on it seems louder then i would have expected but im looking for the old air cooled throtie sound...if that makes any sense. Obviously the 6's sound great but what options are out there for the 4's?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

Also looking for shock/suspension options (looking to upgrade to coil overs to lower and firm up the stance, also looking for good front and back fiber glass bumpers as well.

falconfp2001
I've always liked Elephant Racings packages here

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/c...loversleeve.htm

And Tarret Engineering as well.

http://www.tarett.com/items/914-products/9...prings/list.htm

The 914 suspension is pretty versatile but lowering the front can create problems if you don't do it right.

Consider a bump steer kit if you lower the front more than 1/2" because your geometry will change a lot.

If you do lower it post pics of your progress.
VaccaRabite
Dual webbers are LOUD in a 914, being that they are right behind your ears and the cabin tends to act like a drum, especially with the top on.

There are carb silencers that are commercially available but expensive. Members have made silencers and or modified bug or 912 air filter housings to do the same.

Zach
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Jun 1 2012, 12:20 PM) *

I've always liked Elephant Racings packages here

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/c...loversleeve.htm

And Tarret Engineering as well.

http://www.tarett.com/items/914-products/9...prings/list.htm

The 914 suspension is pretty versatile but lowering the front can create problems if you don't do it right.

Consider a bump steer kit if you lower the front more than 1/2" because your geometry will change a lot.

If you do lower it post pics of your progress.

agree.gif Good advice. As far as noise is concerned. I use these a lot. I also have dual Webers and these work great for engine noise but I use them mostly to stop road noise from other vehicles. If you have a radio in your car and use these they will actually allow you to hear the music better.
Harpo
What is a carb silencer?

Thanks

David
VaccaRabite
Think an airbox similar to the 911 carb air boxes. They house the filter and also muffle the roar that carbs make.
falconfp2001
He is talking about something like this. Webers create loud sonic pulses. The only way to make them quieter is to encase the top part of the weber in some kind of intake plenum that provides more divergent angles. That is why the FI engines are way more quieter. the intake runners are longer and have more angles to divert sonic pulses. Weber carbs are very open and the top filter elements usually enhance the pulse instead of quiet the pulse.
Steve
Webers are music!! I used to go back and forth through the Alameda tunnel just to listen to them with the top off. My current 3.2 with stock injection is noise in comparison.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
rfuerst911sc
I have a 3.0 six in my GT clone with Weber's and was running the open style K&N billet filter housings and the noise was more than I wanted. Recently picked up a 914/6 OEM air cleaner housing and installed it. Wow what a difference it really made the intake roar much quieter. Find something similiar for your four I'm sure you will be pleased with the results.
Alphaogre
My bad, I wasn't clear I want it loud. It was a good thing when it was louder then I thought. If I put a cage in it down the road the sound would resonate in the tubing anyway. This is going to be a Sunday/ auto cross type car. Hopefully down the road a track car. For right now I'm just looking to get it going and have some performance updates for it. I love the sound of the 6's but with it being a 4 I'm just looking for some sound options to try and get close to that sound.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.