Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FUEL LEAK
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CTNL74914
first time I've posted on here is over a year but now I need help.
I've got a 74 - 2.0 with original D-jet system and have suddenly developed a fuel leak on #3 injector. All clamps are tight on the fuel feed line and it appears to be seeping fuel between the body of the injector and the plastic (green) part where the wire plugs in. Gas pools up on the tin below it within minutes of startup. Sound common?
Also- do I need to park it for fear of fire? Replace injector?

Need some opinions.

THANKS confused24.gif
dlee6204
Its a common problem, you will need to replace the injector. Park it. Don't drive it.

You don't want your car looking like this do you?

Click to view attachment
speed metal army
Yep, new injector time.
CTNL74914
OK - I ordered a rebuilt injector from AA and installed it today. No more leak but now I have a bad miss- presumably from the #3 cyl which got the injector.
I have rechecked both inj connections on that bank but the miss is still there.

What to check next?
Can those injectors be tested when pulled from the manifold but still hooked up?

Looking for ideas.

confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
You can swap the injectors around and see if the miss follows the injector.

You can pull the injector out of the manifold and stick it in a jar to see it work. You usually have to do both on one side unless you find really small jars. It might be worth unplugging the points wire at the coil just to make sure there's no spark.

--DD
914_teener
QUOTE(CTNL74914 @ Jun 7 2012, 09:34 PM) *

OK - I ordered a rebuilt injector from AA and installed it today. No more leak but now I have a bad miss- presumably from the #3 cyl which got the injector.
I have rechecked both inj connections on that bank but the miss is still there.

What to check next?
Can those injectors be tested when pulled from the manifold but still hooked up?

Looking for ideas.

confused24.gif

Yes they can.

You can search for that.

put glass jars...disconnect the dizzy....and measure the output over time...Witchhunter has their output. I don't know off hand.

Why do you assume a miss is the injector"
CTNL74914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 7 2012, 08:47 PM) *

You can swap the injectors around and see if the miss follows the injector.

You can pull the injector out of the manifold and stick it in a jar to see it work. You usually have to do both on one side unless you find really small jars. It might be worth unplugging the points wire at the coil just to make sure there's no spark.

--DD

I am assuming the injector because though it had a slow leak before, it ran pretty good and that is the only thing I changed. Now it has a bad miss and I didn't mess with anything else.
rhodyguy
did you replace the injector seals? 2 per. do them all. should take 30 minutes or less to do all 4 injectors.

k
walterolin
If your fuel ring rubber hoses are old, you should think about replacing them with new high pressure hose while you're in there. Rubber cracks over time, and you are running about 29 lbs on the pressurized side, which can give you dlee6204's result above.
CTNL74914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 8 2012, 06:44 AM) *

did you replace the injector seals? 2 per. do them all. should take 30 minutes or less to do all 4 injectors.

k

I replaced the seals on the injector I replaced. Rubber fuel lines were all replaced within the past 2 years.
I guess i need to do the glass jar test.
JawjaPorsche
Just to make sure, you got a green injector not a yellow one.
benalishhero
You can also test the solenoid winding with a multimeter. Ohms test across the two terminals. IIRC these are low impedance injectors, so it should read around 2-4 ohms.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.