Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replacing tail shift bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
If you know of a good thread for replacing the bushings for the tail shift linkage, please post.

Got the shifter bushing done. Need help with the rest. thanks, mark
falconfp2001
This helped me

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ift_improve.htm
luskesq
I referred to the Pelican article as well. It was helpful but really the job isn't all that difficult. I discovered that part of my problem (in addition to one of the bushings having fallen apart) was in the gear shift unit itself. The gearshift stop plate (part #90142401700) was worn (it looks like a reinforcing plate). You can buy a replacement for about $50.00, or if you have a welder, repair it yourself.

Installing the bushings wasn't too tough, I put into boiling water to assist in pushing them in. The most difficult part was installing the two pivot balls. Ended up putting them in some scrap wood where I had drilled a round indentation, used my drill press to push them on. Make sure you lube all moving parts while you are in there.

Have fun,

Keith
mepstein
Figured it out and got it done. Once I found the 2 nuts at the back of the trans, everything was easy. Nuts had so much junk on them that they were invisible at first. There was no firewall bushing so I put one in. Shifting wasn't terrible before but I'm hoping that the new bushings improve it some. I'd like to pull the engine over the winter and send the trans to dr evil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.