Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributorless EFI Conversion on a Raby 2270.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
This should be fun.

Here is John Faure's Raby 2270 in for a conversion to stand-alone FI and distributorless ignition.

We'll be using an Electromotive TEC-S ECU and crank trigger kit from Clewett Engineering.

The current Webers and Mallory ignition will be for sale in the classifieds shortly.

JmuRiz
I don't know why, but that car looks REALLY cool to me. Must be the color and clear lenses. Should be a blast to play with EFI and crank-fire ignition.
Mark Henry
How much for the mallory? smile.gif
yeahmag
I want to go EFI so bad... $$$
Series9
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 6 2012, 07:27 PM) *

How much for the mallory? smile.gif

Tentatively sold. You can be #3 in line if the others fall through. It went for $450.

Series9
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 6 2012, 07:37 PM) *

I want to go EFI so bad... $$$

If each $=$1k, then somewhere between $$$$$ and $$$$$$.

On Nelson's 3.2, the ITBs alone are $2600! For this one, ITBs from CB are about $600. The rest of the system from Clewett Engineering runs $2600. All this, plus installation and tuning.

John's not the kind of guy who goes for the minimum to get it going, so we'll be doing a bunch of other work "while I'm in there".

I half expect to just take the car apart and paint it while it's here..... sunglasses.gif
Series9
The old stuff is out:

Jake Raby
TEC S is a great system. I did lots of testing for Electromotive with that system on my own engine in the 912E. Update to the latest firmware, the older versions have a glitch that won't trigger the fuel pump relay :-)

The "idle blend & mix" feature will greatly help tune that engine at low speed as it has a camshaft that is primarily used for carburetors. Getting used to the software interface takes a little time, but its not too bad and the tech support is great, just ask for Uwe as he is a VW/ Porsche guy himself.

John's engine was one of our kits, not a turnkey.. Looks like he did a good job assembling it!
Series9
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 7 2012, 11:54 AM) *

TEC S is a great system. I did lots of testing for Electromotive with that system on my own engine in the 912E. Update to the latest firmware, the older versions have a glitch that won't trigger the fuel pump relay :-)

The "idle blend & mix" feature will greatly help tune that engine at low speed as it has a camshaft that is primarily used for carburetors. Getting used to the software interface takes a little time, but its not too bad and the tech support is great, just ask for Uwe as he is a VW/ Porsche guy himself.

John's engine was one of our kits, not a turnkey.. Looks like he did a good job assembling it!

I've done a TEC-GT system on a 3.2, so I'm familiar with the Win TEC software.

Feel free to send me a data file for this engine. sunglasses.gif
McMark
Looks like he did a good job assembling it!

"I want to keep an eye on the tune and health of my engine so I am thinking of running some additional gauges. I am getting a Raby
2270 built by McMark and want to keep it in good shape." cool_shades.gif

Where is the toot my own horn smilie? av-943.gif
FourBlades
I picked TEC S because Joe is familiar with it and has had good results with it. I also noticed Jake using it and liking the system, which sealed it for me.

Mark did a great job building my engine and walking me through getting it installed and tuned, plus many other little issues that had me stumped. smilie_pokal.gif

I had fun playing with the carbs using a wide band AFR, EGT and CHT logging but it was time to move on to something that will let me run gas with ethanol without as many issues and will allow better control of the mix and spark across the range. I think this engine can be even more of a monster with EFI.

After seeing Joe's 914s in person a few times it was a no brainer to get him to help me out.

This should give me more time to focus on my IMSA 914, which I hope to at least show at the tropical ramble this fall in some pre-running state.

John
Madswede
Dude, that's some good karma your Karmann's gonna have there. Raby kit, McMark assembled, and Series9 tuned. shades.gif popcorn[1].gif
Series9
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 7 2012, 12:40 PM) *

Looks like he did a good job assembling it!

"I want to keep an eye on the tune and health of my engine so I am thinking of running some additional gauges. I am getting a Raby
2270 built by McMark and want to keep it in good shape." cool_shades.gif

Where is the toot my own horn smilie? av-943.gif

Go back and change the title of this thread from Raby 2270 to McMark 2270. first.gif
Jake Raby
Yep, sounds good to me. Then he can provide the support that you asked me for.

I honestly forgot that Mark built the kit.. I purposely have tried to forget anything and everything about the kit program.
rwilner
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 7 2012, 09:59 PM) *

Yep, sounds good to me. Then he can provide the support that you asked me for.

I honestly forgot that Mark built the kit.. I purposely have tried to forget anything and everything about the kit program.

Click to view attachment
mrbubblehead
popcorn[1].gif
Series9
A box from Clewett has arrived:

$$$

edwin
What on earth is going on with what I assume is the trigger wheel? Why so cumbersome?
Series9
It is a pretty unique solution, but like everything that comes from Clewett, it's perfectly executed.

FourBlades
drooley.gif
drooley.gif
drooley.gif

John
siverson
Looks good - I've been trying to decide between Tec3r and trying to learn megasquirt for my project. Did you consider megasquirt?

> A box from Clewett has arrived:
> $$$

Using your scale, that looks like $$$$ to me. smile.gif

-Steve
Series9
I'm currently doing both Megasquirt and Electromotive FI systems for customers.

I'll give a full opinion when the Megasquirt is finished, but right now, I'm not sure there's a big difference except in price.

There seems to be a common misconception that the MS system requires a PhD in electronics and the Electromotive system is plug-n-play.

Neither is true. They are very similar.
Series9
ITBs from CB:

2mAn
icon_bump.gif blink.gif stirthepot.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jun 16 2012, 07:38 AM) *

ITBs from CB:

What linkage will you be using for the ITB's?

popcorn[1].gif
falcor75
If I was doing my conversion today I'd go with a full kit from the dubshop, his tb's and his own MS based ecu along with Chris's tb pulley setup. Plus you'll get awsome support.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jun 17 2016, 02:47 PM) *

If I was doing my conversion today I'd go with a full kit from the dubshop, his tb's and his own MS based ecu along with Chris's tb pulley setup. Plus you'll get awsome support.

Do you get paid to shill for the dubshop? rolleyes.gif
2mAn
Still curious what the outcome of this was.... poke.gif
Porschef
Me too. I don't know from Shinola about aftermarket management systems, but I'm kinda surprised that a "reasonable" off the shelf kit hasn't been created for 914's and other VW's...

What's "reasonable"? idea.gif confused24.gif I don't know. But something modern that provides optimum performance for a t4 would be cool, and might sell pretty well as parts for stock FI systems become more difficult to procure.

Props to Chris, Jeff, Mark and others who've provided parts to keep these old originals alive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.