Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine ID questions.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
Where on this are the ID codes at I cant find them confused24.gif its supposed to be a 1.7 the pink color is overspray it sat in the corner of the shop andI thought I covered this when I painted the car
spare time toys
what is the threaded hole next to the intake for? Should I plug it for a non street eng?
davep
For a 1.7 it should be on the angled rib towards the flywheel end. A 2.0 would be in front of the oil filler. A replacement block would have neither.
spare time toys
are these the angle plug heads? The intake has four bolts holding it on.
Mueller
4 bolts= 1.7, 1.8 or Bus 2.0 heads
Bleyseng
No, they point straight up so its a 1.7,1.8 or bus head.
Hmmm, they filled the head breathers with the bolts and added vent tubes on the valve covers.
spare time toys
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 15 2004, 07:07 PM)
they filled the head breathers with the bolts and added vent tubes on the valve covers.

What ones are filled? The holes Im asking about are next to the intake ports and have threads in them. Is that the head breather you are talking about because it is not plugged?
SirAndy
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Oct 15 2004, 06:33 PM)
Is that the head breather you are talking about because it is not plugged?

yes, it looks redundant ...

the head-breather and the vent on the valve cover serve the exact same purpose.
you need only one of the two. the head-breather is usually preferred because you don't need to cut into your engine sheetmetal to use it ...

wink.gif Andy
Mark Henry
Tell us the head # (under the rocker shaft) and I'll tell which heads you have.
spare time toys
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 16 2004, 11:00 AM)
Tell us the head # (under the rocker shaft) and I'll tell which heads you have.

It looks like 021.101.371J then there is a 1 in a circle.
Aaron Cox
anyone else trippin on those funky intake manifolds? those are funky!!! laugh.gif

they match the cage i guess lol2.gif , jk

Larry, its lookin good, what are the plans for the motor?
remember - POEAF (pink overspray'd engines are faster)

PS-what carbs are those?
type47
the little threaded holes are for the engine cooling sheet metal?
Aaron Cox
also, whats with the oil filler cap? ive never seen one with a breather port
Mark Henry
1.7 heads....

So it's most likely a 1.7, but you can bore 1.7 heads out to fit a 1.8 or 2.0L, so no 100% guaranty that it is a 1.7.
Mark Henry
Yep…those manifold are funkadelic, what are the carb #’s and do the manifolds have any markings?

Can you give me the measurement (see pic) from top of the carb to the top of the valve cover?.

Also I'd love to know whats up with that plate bolted to the VC side of the manifold.
skline
The carbs look like some old DCNF carbs I had awhile back. They had that same type of manifold. The small screw holes next to the manifold are for screws to hold the sheetmetal down. You do not need to put anything in there if you are not going to put the sheetmetal back on. I would not run one of these engines without the sheetmetal however, it wont live long without cooling. 1.7 heads I thought were the only ones with the vent tube, 1.8 heads didnt have them.
spare time toys
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 17 2004, 06:58 AM)
what are the carb #’s and do the manifolds have any markings?

Can you give me the measurement  (see pic) from top of the carb to the top of the valve cover?.

Also I'd love to know whats up with that plate bolted to the VC side of the manifold.

Ok I went out and got what you wanted. The carbs are Solex mod. 40-p11-4 the measurement on the intake is 3.5 inches and the numbers cast into the intake is the VW in a circle then 021 12 0 with 709n under it. The plate holds the linkage on the forward side.
Mark Henry
1.7 heads
021-101-371J
021-101-371Q
021-101-372

1.8 heads
021-101-371H
021-101-371S

2.0 bus
022-101-372G

2.0 vanagon
071-101-371A
071-101-371B

914 2.0
039-101-371A

Some had vents, some didn't.

Solex 40-p11 are real old school...they were never a great carb...ebay them and put the cash towards a new set of webers. OR gut them and use them as TB's for a FI setup.
Aaron Cox
dude! i believe those solexes and manifolds are worth some money to vintage racers!

werent these the RARE VW 914 manifolds for the euro 1.8?
these were sought after by racers as a 'factory' way of putting carbs on a Production class race car

please correct me if im wrong
Mark Henry
Maybe to a vintage buff...I'd rather have new (newer) Weber carbs. I've only ever tuned them once (on a T1 bug) and they were a total PITA.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 17 2004, 06:41 PM)
Maybe to a vintage buff...I'd rather have new (newer) Weber carbs. I've only ever tuned them once (on a T1 bug) and they were a total PITA.

right, but the vintage racers need them as an excuse to run carbs
spare time toys
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 17 2004, 08:33 PM)
dude! i believe those solexes and manifolds are worth some money to vintage racers!

werent these the RARE VW 914 manifolds for the euro 1.8?
these were sought after by racers as a 'factory' way of putting carbs on a Production class race car

please correct me if im wrong

Where would you list them or just try to make do with them for a while? confused24.gif
SLITS
Solex PII - 40s are pretty common. Fitted to 912s and 356s IMHO and not the most desireable unless you're going the cw route.

The "Euro" 914s were fitted with single barrel Solex carbs, much like the VW Bus setup from what I was told.

The mainifolds are really funky and could be from industrial stationary engines - yeh, they use air cooled VW engines in Germany for that purpose. I used to buy Webers from an importer that came off these industrial engines.

If you list them on eBay, list them for VW Type 4 and Porsche 914 'cause that's what they're gonna fit. Pricing - have no idea - The two PII 40s I sold went for about $100 for the pair - no manifolds.

The bus setup with the single barrel Solexs with linkage and manifold went for $168, but the guy was restoring a Type 2.

Fun stuff...................................,
ArtechnikA
Solex 40-p11 carburetors were used on the 912 and i think the later 356SC, and if they're in good shape, should be worth some money.

the manifolds i cannot help you with.

i can see why they didn't work well with a T-I engine tho, unless it was a 1600 with a slightly warm street cam -- like the 356SC/912...
Jake Raby
Those are 40 P11 Solex carbs...

I WANT THOSE MANIFOLDS!
Carrera916
Ummm...

these PII are very common with the 356 and if it's rebuild properly with no air leaks at the "butterfly" shafts, and sychronized properly, they worked very well...that's to my experiences with 356....

yes, weber would be a better choice and solex pII would be the second choice....

If you're gonna ebay 'em, try include the 356 folks and you might get better deal out abit more than with the 914 folks.....

j
Carrera916
[SIZE=1]Oh....

any chance of taking a full view picture on the side (in front of the V/C) of the carb along with the manifold rather than the front or rear?

I really want to know more about that manifolds.....Jake got me perk up as he must have know something about it.....

Yo, Jake, tell us what's that all about! aktion035.gif

j
SLITS
And just how many PIIs do you want Jake?
spare time toys
QUOTE(Carrera916 @ Oct 18 2004, 10:34 PM)
[SIZE=1]Oh....

any chance of taking a full view picture on the side (in front of the V/C) of the carb along with the manifold rather than the front or rear?

I really want to know more about that manifolds.....Jake got me perk up as he must have know something about it.....

Yo, Jake, tell us what's that all about! aktion035.gif

j

Ill work on the photo when I get back in town. But Jake what is the scoop on these? I may be persuaded to swap them out. wink.gif
spare time toys
One more quick question for Jake. Have you ever tried that Extrude Hone process on these motors?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.