Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch problem!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pdr1787
Bought new clutch cable, pulley, t.o. Bearing, preassure plate the pushing in the shift fork and I still have lost half pedal play. The cable is adjusted all the way. What else could it be? I check the pedal assembly and it seems fine. Any advice???
rhodyguy
did you replace the ball stud clip and the 2 throw out bearing clips?

k
Dr Evil
Just because you have run out of threads on the adjustment at the end of the cable does not mean you are fully adjusted. It is often that the cable end needs a piece of short pipe under the nut to add to the adjustment.

The big question is, did it work before the parts change? That tells us a lot.
walterolin
Has the clutch cable tube separated from the firewall. When mine separated I wasn't bright enough to figure it out, so I started adding
washers to the threaded end as Dr. E suggested.

The better question, though, is "did it work before", and if so what is differnt now.
spunone
what size pipe do ya use?
Dr Evil
Well, technically it would be tubing. I use what ever fits around the threads. 7/16" IIRC.
Pdr1787
What happened first was my clutch cable snapped. I replaced the cable and everything was fine for about a week. I was pullin into a gas station, tried to put it in first when I felt a pop. There was still some pedal play but not enough to engage it in gear without grinding the gears. Since then I have replaced all that I have mentioned expect for the retainer clip and the t.o. Bearing clips. I'm running out of ideas now....
Pdr1787
I'm going to check the clutch cable tube. I also don't know what you mean about adding a piece of tubing.
brant
the comment about a piece of tubing is:

on the end of the cable where you tighten the adjusting nuts
often at the end of the threaded portion people do not have enough adjustment.

by placing a piece of tubing or a stack of washers between the cable "fork" and the adjustment nuts you tighten up the cable further...

however:
if you had your clutch adjusted correctly and working
and then something popped....

that is probably not indicative of needing a stack of washers added.
that is more like something broke
likely the clutch tube
athough it could of been other things....

brant
LotusJoe
I'm sure you have already thought of this but the nuts on the threaded end of the clutch cable are 11mm or M7 thread. A M8 will thread on and seem tight but will eventually come loose. wacko.gif

Click to view attachment
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 7 2012, 07:24 AM) *

Just because you have run out of threads on the adjustment at the end of the cable does not mean you are fully adjusted. It is often that the cable end needs a piece of short pipe under the nut to add to the adjustment.

The big question is, did it work before the parts change? That tells us a lot.

Dr. Evil, You Rock! You answered the question before I even asked it. My friggin reverse was grinding a little and I figure a few more threads might help.

"Just because you have run out of threads on the adjustment at the end of the cable does not mean you are fully adjusted"

pray.gif
Lets hope that's the problem....Thanks
SW
Dr Evil
Yes, and that info of something breaking was not available when I made the spacer recommendation. It does sound like the tube popped.
Jeffs9146
You can also adjust the bracket on the front of the clutch cable! If the bracket wasn't tightened up enough! It is a bit more work than just adding a spacer but it is the "correct" way to add threads to the back!
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 7 2012, 03:19 PM) *

You can also adjust the bracket on the front of the clutch cable! If the bracket wasn't tightened up enough! It is a bit more work than just adding a spacer but it is the "correct" way to add threads to the back!

Jeff, do you mean in the tunnel at the pedal cluster?

Steve
Jeffs9146
Yes, make sure it is all the way on at the cluster! I have seen people not screw it all the way in.
rhodyguy
the bracket, or clevis, adj procedure is detailed on pgs 70/71 section #5 of your haynes.

k
euro911
The 'pop' does sound like the clutch tube may have busted loose in the tunnel.
Jeffs9146
agree.gif
What happened first was my clutch cable snapped. I replaced the cable and everything was fine for about a week. I was pullin into a gas station, tried to put it in first when I felt a pop.

Sounds like that to me!!!
Dr Evil
Question, did the cable come out in two pieces? Pop and one piece = tube broke free. Pop and two pieces = cable broke (and maybe the cable broke free).
brant
any updates?

there is always the chance that the new cable wasn't seated on the firewall entrance.... and the pop was it seating....

just being hopeful

get under there and look things over.
pull the center arm rest and open up the tunnel

get us an update on what you find.

brant
Pdr1787
The clutch cable tube is still connected to the firewall... It seems fine. Maybe it broke father down the tunnel? I'm going to add some washers and see if that is a good enough fix.
brant
I think its most commonly inside the tunnel where they break loose...

hard to see, you have to pull the armrest, and tunnel covers
flashlight, and sometimes a mirror.

brant
Dr Evil
It is easiest to check buy pulling the shifter out and looking from that opening.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.