Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch Woes...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rod
Ok so the ignition switch was cracked and a replacement has been found. The problem is that the key part of the mechanism won't turn the ignition switch barrel far enough to make contact and turn the starter...

The switch works on the bench, but put it in the Ignition barrel and turn with the key and nothing..

If I shim it out with tape around the switch it works, but still intermittently..

The key part of the switch is also at the stage in life where I can remove the key with the ignition on! - It just near enough pulls out!

So are these available new at all, or do I start a second hand search? Also - how much of a hassle is it with regard changing door and boot locks to suit? (I hate having different keys for everywhere...)
germag
Lock cylinder on AutoAtlanta.com

Part No. 914 347 903 02

Not sure what to tell you about keying the doors the same. Good Luck

QUOTE(Rod @ Jun 7 2012, 02:55 AM) *

Ok so the ignition switch was cracked and a replacement has been found. The problem is that the key part of the mechanism won't turn the ignition switch barrel far enough to make contact and turn the starter...

The switch works on the bench, but put it in the Ignition barrel and turn with the key and nothing..

If I shim it out with tape around the switch it works, but still intermittently..

The key part of the switch is also at the stage in life where I can remove the key with the ignition on! - It just near enough pulls out!

So are these available new at all, or do I start a second hand search? Also - how much of a hassle is it with regard changing door and boot locks to suit? (I hate having different keys for everywhere...)

Bob L.
I had the same problem, along with the key cylinder not popping out when the key is removed.
Check these out

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=165861
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=165990

one for each problem.
CTNL74914
the tumbler portion of my ign switch is still OK but after installing the 3rd inner plastic switch I decided to install a push-button start switch. The key still has to be turned to position to activate the warning lights & fuel pump, but the push button have proven to be more reliable.
And my key still works for the door locks.
Bob L.
QUOTE(CTNL74914 @ Jun 7 2012, 11:56 PM) *

the tumbler portion of my ign switch is still OK but after installing the 3rd inner plastic switch I decided to install a push-button start switch. The key still has to be turned to position to activate the warning lights & fuel pump, but the push button have proven to be more reliable.
And my key still works for the door locks.

I had the pushbutton too. It just short circuits the key switch. I think you can crank the engine without the key but it won't start.
Rod
Thanks Bob, very interesting reading the two links you gave. I have a starter switch in a box, but don't really want to use it as I prefer original...

I have both problems you experienced, so will amend both as per the links. I need to find an ignition barrel though...
markb
QUOTE(Rod @ Jun 8 2012, 05:50 AM) *

Thanks Bob, very interesting reading the two links you gave. I have a starter switch in a box, but don't really want to use it as I prefer original...

I have both problems you experienced, so will amend both as per the links. I need to find an ignition barrel though...

Send me a PM with your address & I'll send you an extra I have. Woops, just noticed you're in the UK. If you can't find one closer, this one is yours for the cost of shipping.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.