Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing the exhaust gas recirc. sys.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob L.
I just acquired a '76 2.0 motor with the EGR system. It was already disabled/disconnected but still attached. I want to remove all the bits and pieces related to and cap off the air inlet pipes that feed into the heads.

SO...
Can I just cap off the stubby pipes in the heads?
Do the pipes come out completely? If so how do you plug the holes in heads?
Do I want to plug the pipes or holes anyway? They are open now and it runs pretty good.
Are there any adjustments I should make to compensate for the system being removed?

Thanks.
AZ914
You can cap the pipes that stick out of the heads. Some people put a ball bearing on top (to seal), then a cap (I think a common pipe cap fits). Another option is to remove the pipes and thread a bolt into the head.
I can find the thread/length, but its on my other PC. (its not common).

I've never heard of anyone making an adjustment for it.. but obviously just tinker with the idle/fuel mixture knob if it needs it.
Jeffs9146
Check your smog laws first! In CA that would make it not pass!
toadman
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jun 7 2012, 06:21 PM) *

I just acquired a '76 2.0 motor with the EGR system. It was already disabled/disconnected but still attached. I want to remove all the bits and pieces related to and cap off the air inlet pipes that feed into the heads.

SO...
Can I just cap off the stubby pipes in the heads?
Do the pipes come out completely? If so how do you plug the holes in heads?
Do I want to plug the pipes or holes anyway? They are open now and it runs pretty good.
Are there any adjustments I should make to compensate for the system being removed?

Thanks.

When I had my 1976 motor "refreshed" we removed the stub pipes and plugged the holes with threaded caps. We got the caps from Brad Mayeur at 914Ltd.com and they worked great.
Bob L.
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 7 2012, 09:52 PM) *

Check your smog laws first! In CA that would make it not pass!

lol-2.gif I'm in Texas

So I'll cap it off. Probably easier to match the thread size.
I looked on 914Ltd.com but no sign of head plugs. I could call but I'm impatient and Home Depot it right here.

Thanks guys.
76-914
3/8"ips cap. brass, alum, galv, brass or black. remove your extension from the fan hub and if the rubber coupler is good, sell it.
Bob L.
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 7 2012, 10:45 PM) *

3/8"ips cap. brass, alum, galv, brass or black. remove your extension from the fan hub and if the rubber coupler is good, sell it.

That part (the extension) is MIA.
76-914
Then go to Crump Supply on Rockwood Lane. They have them.
TheCabinetmaker
The stub pipes wiil get in the way of removing the bolts for the intake runners unless you bend them outward, breaking the seal to the head. I replace them with an M10X1.25X40mm bolt.
Bob L.
All right... I'll get the plugs. I'm guessing some red Loctite would be in order. Correct?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.