Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So this is how a 914 is supposed to shift/clutch!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim912928
Well, last week I rebuilt the pedal cluster and put in a new clutch cable. Car was still up on jack stands doing brake stuff...but it sure seemed smooth on the stands.

Today I drilled out my "rounded" out hold pin on the shift lever by the tranny...took the entire assembly apart and put every stinking new bushing you can in the entire mechanism....in all it took about 3 hours to take it apart and put in the 5 new bushings.

WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!! I didn't realize how good and easy these things should shift when everything is proper! Took it around the neighborhood (well, that is what I told the wife)...and came back an hour later with a smile on my face!

Thanks all for the advice in here...using a vice and two sockets to press out the 2 bushings by the firewall piece....boiling the firewall bushing so you can just push it in with your fingers....and how to drill out that stripped pin.

Jim (large smile still on face!)
ematulac
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

I just replaced all my old, and in some cases missing, bushings a few weeks ago. OMG, what a difference!!! Even my wife wouldn't miss any gears on this shifter! biggrin.gif

Happy shifting!!!
ArtechnikA
glad to hear it's working for you !

we hear this all the time...

"my car shifts like crap"

"Are you *sure* you've got all the bushings up to snuff like when it left the factory?"

"No, but how big a difference could that make?"

the side shift is a nice improvement, but my guess is a lot of people have gone that route and could have got 90% of the improvement for a lot less effort if they'd just fixed what they had ...
Red-Beard
I really did a great job of fixing up my 914/6 tranny and linkage. Then I drove a sideshift with a properly setup unit. Night and Day. Within 2 months, I converted my 914/6 tranny to sideshift and converted the linkages. Shifts fantastic now.

I'm hoping the Rennshift takes it another level.

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.