Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gears gone yet again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bongo monkey
I was adjusting my gearshift linkage, when the gears stopped engaging. I checked the whole linkage from the Rennshifter to the roll pin, and everything is working. The shift lever gives absolutely no resistance whatsoever moving from R-4-5-1. I cannot select any gears. The first time this happened, the roll pin got sheared. I checked, and the pin is still in snugly and moving the selector. So the problem is somewhere inside the tranny.

I was adjusting the linkage because I was having problems with 3rd gear not giving me any input, and only engaging half of the time. I thought it might be because the new motor mounts had shifted the pattern forward (the old ones were falling apart), so I tried to adjust the linkage. All the other gears were working fine.

What do you think the problem is and how much will it cost me?
Red-Beard
Have you tried shifting with the linkage disconnected, by hand at the tranny end?
bongo monkey
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Oct 17 2004, 04:38 PM)
Have you tried shifting with the linkage disconnected, by hand at the tranny end?

I shifted by hand at the cage (although the linkage was still hooked up) and tried to run it in R/1 on jackstands. Nothing. I had someone shift for me while I observed the linkage, and nothing is hitting anything or generally siezing up. The linkage had been adjusted maybe 1 mm from where it was.

If you really think it'll make a difference, tomorrow I'll unhook the rear shift rod and try again.

Oh I almost forgot- my car is a tailshifter.
Red-Beard
Is the pivot wedge gone? This is the part the roll pin connects to the tailshift input shaft. Sometimes, the top of the wedge breaks. This would prevent all shifting. You would be able to spin the input shaft around 360 if this were broken.

Item #14
Red-Beard
Let me make it more clear...
bongo monkey
No, it's still there. I can see the linkage moving and working up to #20 on this (Shift rod), that's as far as I can see through the plate.

IPB Image

Maybe #22, the selector shaft, is broken. Where could I get one and how much would it run me?

EDIT:
SHIFT FORK
- This is a special-order, non-returnable, part
(availability and shipping charges may vary).
OEM-91430311700 $74.51
from Pelican Parts.

That's not too bad... this week I'll drop the tranny and order the part. That is, unless you have a different idea as to what's wrong or what I should do. (Can't afford a rebuilt tranny)
Red-Beard
To check, pull the small side cover/shoulder. You can look up in there with a flashlight.

I'm talking about the sort of oval thing with 2 nuts on the driver side of the transmission. This is the spot where the sideshift connects for the later transmissions.
bongo monkey
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Oct 17 2004, 08:52 PM)
To check, pull the small side cover/shoulder. You can look up in there with a flashlight.

I'm talking about the sort of oval thing with 2 nuts on the driver side of the transmission. This is the spot where the sideshift connects for the later transmissions.

I don't suppose it would be possible to replace the fork through that hole, only removing the end cover?
Red-Beard
no. You need to pull the gear stack. But...you can do that and leave the tranny case in the car.

see:

http://home.san.rr.com/pb914/rebuild/
bongo monkey
First of all, thanks for helping me out, Red-Beard.

I had a look today, and the selector was still there. Nothing obviously broken, but then again, I don't know how a regular one is supposed to look. The selector does not move the r/1, 2/3 or 4/5 shift forks. The ball on the selector is in the notches, and the shift rod moves the selector (which sort of hinges on the rod, I don't know if that's normal). The ball does not move, and the selector pivots around the ball. This may have something to do with the cover I removed, which appeared to be a bracket for the selector.

I can't manually put the car in gear by moving the shift forks around (around 1/4 inch either direction), but then again, I don't have much leverage and I don't want to damage the rods. When I spin the tires, I can see reverse, 2nd, 4th and 5th gears move. 1st and 3rd do not move.

Any more ideas? I hope my description was good enough.
Red-Beard
With a little leverage with a long screwdriver, you should be able to move the shift rods. You will not be able to shift "normally" with the shoulder out. Try putting it back in and snug, but don't torque the nuts. Try shifting now.

From the spot you are looking, you may be able to see:

4th and 5th, right near the opening. You might be able to see 2nd/3rd, but they are up against the intermediateplate. 1st and rev are on the other side of the intermediate plate...unless the tail cover is off, not chance of seeing them.

All gears move at the same time, all the time. They move at different rates. The sliders/dogteeth interface couple a set of gears so that both shafts are connected. It is really easy to see when the gear stack is pulled out. You are about 5 minutes away from pulling the gear stack...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Bottom to the back gear stack

IPB Image
bongo monkey
Make that 5 minutes after I've pulled the gear stack...

I still can't see anything wrong. Can you? I'm thinking of just putting everything back together and seeing if it works. Maybe something just popped out of place.
bongo monkey
more
bongo monkey
Look, that's got gears.
bongo monkey
Wow, there's metal in here.
bongo monkey
One last shot of the R/1 fork.. sorry it's fuzzy.
Red-Beard
Before you re-assemble, I want you to look really close at the intermediateplate bearings. Take photos on both sides and try to see if the bearing cages are whole.

Before you re-install, remove the backup switch and the little pin.

You might want to spray some cleaner on the synchros and dogteeth and take shots, and I'll evaluate the condition of the tranny.

Then, re-assemble the tranny. Use hylomar or another non-hardening gasket sealant to help prevent leaks.

James
bongo monkey
I got my new gasket set and I'm ready to reinstall. First, some last pics of the gears to make sure you can't see anything wrong.

Better shot of the R/1 fork.
bongo monkey
Bearing.
bongo monkey
That's the reverse and 1st, sir.
bongo monkey
4th and 5th.
bongo monkey
Bearing, we meet again.
bongo monkey
This is what is commonly known as "the 2nd and 3rd gears".
bongo monkey
Look, more gears.
Red-Beard
Pinion bearing looks good. God that SWEPCO seems to make mess...does it turn your hands blue?
bongo monkey
Gear Redux
bongo monkey
Here is the last pic.

Here I think I spy a problem. It may be my feverish imagination but the slider for 2 and 3 seems to be misaligned, and a bit crooked.
bongo monkey
Shot of the tranny earlier, illustrating the percieved problem.

Nothing a few good whacks can't fix, right? smash.gif
bongo monkey
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Oct 22 2004, 10:56 PM)
Pinion bearing looks good. God that SWEPCO seems to make mess...does it turn your hands blue?

It's not SWEPCO, it's just generic gear oil from my FLAPS... It's actually yellow but the flash makes it look blue.
Red-Beard
Gotta love that smell!
Thorshammer
Bongo,

I will give you a tailshifter transmission in working order if you want to buy the short shift kit I have for 75.00 Unused.
If you can meet me in CT, Hartford? it's yours, I live in Massachusetts.

Erik
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.