Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silver car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jonwatts
I'd get a minimum of 3 cans for good heavy coverage.
Jenny
3 cans of tricoat or regular? I thought the tricoat DOES provide good heavy coverage...
jonwatts
Sorry, shoulda kept my mouth shut. I haven't used the tri-coat. The cans I bought were single stage enamel.
ChrisReale
My car was L 96 D before the PO got hit and re-painted it Guards Red. Sooner or later, I plan to go back to theoriginal color, but there arr ea few "imporvements" to be done before clap56.gif
aufaber
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 13 2003, 10:14 AM)
You havent had that silver out in the saun yet have you ??

It turns yellow. They tell you not to put in areas with contact to the sun.

I used Silver on a 914 cage. Looked like baby piss in about 10 days after driving around with the top off.

B

It actualy looks kinda greenish to me. Ya I've seen teh color change. I think it's just the clear formula with suspended metal in it. As far as I know the Grey and black don't do it.

-Aaron G>
Brad Roberts
Aaron,

When is Jeff going to come back to reality (that he cannot deny his 914 fetish) ??

B
Jenny
Painting targa top... (since I don't have sail panel vinyl to match)

pros and cons??

Jen
Brad Roberts
Just more money.

I have plenty of black lids.. so have it done.. if you dont like it.. I end up with a silver lid..LOL

If you recall..the tube frame race car is all silver. It looks pretty good with the silver top.

B
aufaber
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 13 2003, 12:56 PM)
Aaron,

When is Jeff going to come back to reality (that he cannot deny his 914 fetish) ??

B

He actualy drove his 914 the other day. He was just talkng to me about throwing some 1.7 head on it to get it moving again without the locomotive sounding exhaust leaks.. though last night when he pulled it into the driveway the electrical system went out.

So i was looking through Por15 site and noticed they make a non-UV sensative silver topcoat called SterlingSilver. More interesting to me was that they make a non UV sensative version in White. I am a big fan of white enigne bays when it comes to being able to see when you are woking on.

http://www.por15.com/topcoat.html

-Aaron G>
Jenny
Top needs to be sanded flat, right? I'm not sure I'll like the silver pitted look... sad.gif

Jen
Brad Roberts
I used the white on the tube frame of the silver race car above. It worked "Ok" at best. I found out brake cleaner takes it off the tubes pretty quickly.

B
nine14cats
Hey B,

Is your tube car a sheridan wide body or standard? and what size rims and tires do you run? I remember you saying one time that it was more stable with 10" wides than 12" wides...

Just curious for grins.....

Bill P.
nine14cats
Hi Jenny,

If you want the side pillar vinyl, I believe I have a new set in the garage that I'll donate as part of the project...I think I still have all of the trim pieces too...

If you want them...I'll check in the garage tonight...

The car's getting closer....

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
WIDE BABY. Damn wide I should say.

The body kit is for 14 inch rears and 12 fronts. At one point in time.. SCCA said we had to run 10's on all four corners.. they changed that about 2 years ago. We can now run 12's on the rear but have to keep 10's on the fronts. We tried 12's on the rear..but you have to totally change the gearing and setup to run 12's. It wasnt worth the wheel investment and tires at this point in the game.

The fronts are 10's with a 5/5 offset. The rears are 10's with a 6/4 offset. The front track is 2 inches wider than the rear. It goes where ever you turn the wheel. I dont think anybody that has driven it has made it understeer.

B
Jenny
Hey Bill,

I'm actually glad there's no vinyl. It would have been a hassle trying to strip and repaint the orange car, but since the silver one doesn't have it anyway, I'm going for the sleek painted look. cool.gif

I really appreciate your generosity though. It's nice to know there's always good 'ol 914 folk willing to pitch in for the cause. Merci beaucoup!!

Jen
nine14cats
Hey Jenny,

Votre Bienvenue!

Bill P.
Dave_Darling
Bill, that may be the literal translation of "Your welcome" (the posessive "your", even!), but the actual response is, "De rien". ("It's nothing.")

--DD
jonwatts
Thank you, Frenchie Frencherson.
Dave_Darling
Hey, man--ya gotta speak the language if you want to hit on the waitresses in Montreal! wink.gif (Ref: the 2001 East Coast Ramble)

--DD
nine14cats
thanks for the english...er...french lesson dave....my junior high school french is rusty...besides it was a free translator on the web and I typed in the wrong phrase!

tongue.gif

merde....besides...I'm half hawaiian! we mix everything up!

bill p.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 13 2003, 03:19 PM)
but the actual response is, "De rien". ("It's nothing.")

actually,

"pas de probleme"

(means no problem) is pretty common too.
at least in the southern part of france ...

ahhhh, nothing like a warm summer day in the Camargue ...
Jenny
I like hawaii's Mahalo (sp?) Doesn't it mean pretty much anything you want it to? Hello, good bye, thank you, so on and so forth...
rhodyguy
the paint mixed for me went a long way. they mix the paint by the pint and load it in the cans. you pay for the pint no matter what. a pint makes four cans. whether you buy four it's up to you, so there was a slight add on. the finnish paint and 3 cans of self etching primer( i used the gray) ran about $90 i believe. 1 1/2 cans did my whole engine bay and lower firewall back to the contol arms, and i did not scrimp. i'll use the paint to touch up some minor flaws on the body.

kevin
Brad Roberts
Jenny.. listen to Kevin. Buy what he says to buy. He is the only person to do this recently that I have seen. I would like to use the self etching primer. I know it works well.

B
anthony
Jenny if you don't need all 4 spray cans I'd split some of the cost with you ... assuming you are ordering stock L 96 D silver paint.

Kevin do you know if they will put some of the paint in a standard touch up bottle?
Bleyseng
Ok, Kevin where did you get the paint. I am going to touch up the paint finally so it looks good from 20 feet.
Geoff
Alexlitov
QUOTE(anthony @ May 13 2003, 05:06 PM)
Jenny if you don't need all 4 spray cans I'd split some of the cost with you ... assuming you are ordering stock L 96 D silver paint.

Kevin do you know if they will put some of the paint in a standard touch up bottle?

The place in San Leandro does touch up paints. Look at my replay on page 3.
rhodyguy
geoff, i got it at a firm named Canyon Auto Body Supply. just down the road a bit from where my house is. as to the touch up paint i'll check tomorrow, the spray cans the paint comes are pretty generic looking. i'll also ask them specificly what the paint make up is. it's like nothing i've ever seen come out of a can. plus, the spray tps adjust for a band that goes vert or horizon. much better than just a fog. it allows you really direct the paint where you want it without the running aspect turning into a nightmare. just be patient with it. use the blue light release masking tape, it comes off much easier. you will also need the correct style breather for these products. the paint smells much stronger, i suggest putting tape around the jam on the door that goes from your garage into the house.

my house is a geographical odity. 2 mi from the paint, flap, hardware, grocery stores. all in diff directions.

kevin
rhodyguy
jenny, my r trunk is in the same shape as yours. i'm going to spray it out with the same batch of paint. i have to weld in the f trunk bottom i showed in a in a previous topic. should be enough for that . lets see, i have to pull a rocker to remove the old ac lines, might as well paint the longs. well that WOULD be the best time to paint the rockers. the rear val is already off. see where this is headed? it never seems to end.

kevin
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Jenny @ May 13 2003, 02:40 PM)
I like hawaii's Mahalo (sp?) Doesn't it mean pretty much anything you want it to? Hello, good bye, thank you, so on and so forth...

Thank you = mahalo, hello/good bye = aloha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.