Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silver car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jenny
Turns out the car looked much better than originally anticipated!! Here's some pics...

trunk looked the best...
Jenny
trunk
Jenny
longs
Jenny
longs
Joe Bob
So when does it RUN, Mrs. Mueller????? blink.gif
Jenny
engine bay
Jenny
look, battery tray still in tact!!
Jenny
the non-chemically stripped portion of the car...
Jenny
never knew this spot held water. Sir Andy pointed it out and promptly took a drill bit to it! fighting19.gif
Jenny
floor pans... Looks bad, but they hold water boldblue.gif
Jenny
car all packed up and ready for more cleaning next week. Note the new wheels!!
Lawrence
Looks like you've found a nice solid car... congrats on the cleanup!

-Rusty
Jenny
Thanks Rusty! I'm getting really excited about it. Hopefully I can get the engine compartment clean by next weekend, and B can get going on transplanting the motor and tranny after that. Then, I'm planning on bribing some bay area folk into helping me move everything else from the orange car to the silver one. If I can get 4 people that are 914 savvy to help, I think we can have it assembled in one weekend! Wishful thinking?? blink.gif

Jen
anthony
Why don't you get it painted before moving all the parts over? Wouldn't that make things a lot easier?
Jenny
Well, I'm not going for a Yeaman paint, more of a Maaco paint. :toilet:

I'll get it painted as stripped down as they'll let me get. But I'm pretty sure they'll want the car running. I'll ask Brad what is the least we can do to still get it painted.

Jen
Jeffs9146
What color are you thinking about!

Silver is sweet cool_shades.gif and it will be easier for you in the long run!!

Jeff
Jenny
Brad discourages color changes (rock chips will show the old color) so I think I'll be staying with silver. Besides, the rims match perfectly!!

Jen
Jenny
By the way, can anyone point me to the thread about getting car paint in a spray can so I can paint the engine bay myself?

Thanks,

Jen
Lawrence
There are a lot of really nice shades/tones of silver. That's one color you can change the shade and it won't show chips.

Have you called around for someone in California that will do single stage in a rattle can, or have the smog nazi's outlawed it? I know there's a place in Des Moines that used to make paint bombs.
jonwatts
I've used this place (Tower Paint). Give them the 914 paint code and they'll ship you some custom cans. Not sure of anyone local to us that provides this service.

I used them to test paint colors before choosing one.
Curvie Roadlover
I second Jon's Tower Paint recommendation. Got my touch-up paint from them. Like Jon said, just give 'em the color code and they ship you the paint
Jeff Krieger
Well, you've gotta give Jenny credit for her determination to build a running 914. Most girls would just go out and buy a Miata or something.
Brad Roberts
She did really well. I'm was blown away that the tray is SOLID and the there are NO holes below the tray area. It will all clean up really well with some 3M sanding discs.

There was almost no dirt behind the rockers packed in next to the jack points.

I have thought more about it... and she will be using the heat gun and puddy knife to remove the tar paper from the floorboards. Its more labor.. but I dont want any surprises under the tar paper. It feels really solid (no crunching) but I know it has had standing water in it.

First thing to do is to get the engine compartment sanded/cleaned up so we can shoot it.

We will leave the car stripped for the Maaco paint job at a later date.

Jen,

Contact those people JonW suggested.. I'll get the paint code off the car today and email it to you.

Should be a generic 73 1.7 silver.

B
Jeroen
Jenny... I'm jealous!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
need4speed
There was a great color on old Ghias in the 50's called Aerosilver grey. Renders your car invisible in fog.

(look at #3 down on this page)
http://www.kgcentre.co.uk/vehicles_for_sale.htm

The VW paint codes are here:
http://www.type-14.com/paint.htm#L248

This is the only example I could find on the web, but it's a really nice layed back color. I've seen it in person at last year's Treffen in Ventura. Really a nice silver color. I doubt it's historically accurate for a 914 tho.
Jenny
Ooohh! I liked #2 on that page. I was toying with the idea of a gunmetal color, and then putting the Porsche decal across the doors.

Jen
Lawrence
Sounds like you need to take a visit to a local paint supply store and peruse their books of color chips.

Suggestion: call the shop you plan on using, and find out what brand they use before you go.

-Rusty
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Jenny @ May 12 2003, 12:46 PM)
Ooohh! I liked #2 on that page. I was toying with the idea of a gunmetal color, and then putting the Porsche decal across the doors.

WARNING!! A buddy of mine (Josh2, for those who have been around long enough to remember him) has a 914 that is that color. Well, now it's "mostly" that color... Anyway, that looks an awful lot like "pavement" color to most SUV drivers out there. It seems to be even more invisible than BRIGHT SCREAMING YELLOW (sorry, another CRX flashback) because everyone kept trying to hit that car...

--DD
L8Apex
Dave and I, as CRX owners know much about the tainted yellow colored CRX's. They were mostly found wrecked, or burned to the ground. strange.
Jenny
Great. So no yellow, and no asphalt. What's a girl left with??

Jen confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jenny @ May 12 2003, 04:02 PM)
Great. So no yellow, and no asphalt. What's a girl left with??

silver?
Brad Roberts
It will be OE factory Silver or you can pick it up this weekend.

Seriously. No joking. If the car doesnt go back to the OE color.. no help from me.

I spent 2 hours last night going over a factory 6 that had been repainted by a reputable shop. It cannot be done correctly unless we completely strip the tub down to bare metal. This 6 looked like hell.

I hate to be a dick.. but its going to be done right or I wont be involved.

B
Jenny
I figured as much, Brad. Wishful thinking on my part. rolleyes.gif

I'll find another car later on down the line to bastardize. fighting19.gif

Jen
Brad Roberts
And you will get good money for this one.. because it wont be a color change. Silver is the most sought after 914 color on the planet for 4's and 6's.

B
Bleyseng
I agree with Brad, Jenny. Silver is a awesome color too when all waxed and polished up. Shows the sexy lines and curves of the body really well. Stands out nicely in a crowd too candy colored 914's too.
Geoff
krk
Jen,

Being as I own a silver one now, and I previously owned a silver one, I'm the first to say "ya baby!" to staying silver.

Being as I own a respray car, I'm also the first (well, second as Br@d would always be at the front somewhere) to say doing a good respray is very hard ... er.. very very hard... well, like, impossibly hard.

So I vote SILVER for your car. Heck, check out the stock color code and see if you like it -- the best is if the stock color is something you love!

Here's the down side -- I took my silver /6 to a PCA driving event. Every frikk'n porsche there was silver, black or red. The 914's that were colorful were the real eyecatchers! (ravenna green anyone?!)

So I"m recently on a yellow kick -- unfortunately -- I love the car on the front cover of Caught by Camera.

But I digress...

Silver is still my vote. (like that matters or something! tongue.gif hey, anything will look better than RUST!)

mueba.gif

kim.
Jeffs9146
Rust.........hummmmm? <_<

No, I think not!

Jeff
krk
QUOTE(Jeffs74~914 @ May 12 2003, 05:26 PM)
Rust.........hummmmm? dry.gif

No, I think not!

Jeff

Um....

What color is this?????
Brad Roberts
L 96 D is the paint code Jenny.

B
Jeffs9146
Personaly, I am with Brad! This car has potencial! aktion035.gif

Jeff
rhodyguy
jenny, if you haven't done so, build some new rubber into your budject now. seals that is not tires. now will def be the time to do it. esp sealing rubber for the engine tin. you dont' want to have to pull the engine again to do it. alot of the pieces are pretty inexspensive. L96 D, same as mine.

kevin
Eddie Williams
Mine is L97A VW Diamond Silver Met. What is the diference between this and the L96D Porsche Met Silver?
Alexlitov
There is a place here in San Leandro that can make you a spray can of the desired color. They also make touch up paint. If anyone needs more info i can look it up.
Brad Roberts
Alex,

Please look it up. I want her to be ready for paint by Monday.

Kevin,

Her wrecked car had all new rubber in it/on it. We will hold a "Transfer Jenny's parts party" after I get it running and it gets painted. The body shops dont like to see cars that they have to push around.. so I will have her get the engine compartment done first so I can install the engine tranny combo (73 GA 2.0) and make it drivable. I also get tired of pushing cars up and down the trailer ramps...

B
Jeffs9146
L96D Thats my color! Here is what it will look like!!:
Alexlitov
San Leandro Color
555 E 14th St
San Leandro, CA 94577
(510) 569-8236

http://www.paintscratch.com
rhodyguy
wow a bunch of good rubber. if it's a pretty complete set that's a quick $500. don't forget the glycerin from walgreens upon reinstall. get one of those plastic syringe's to squirt the goop into the channels. one thing i did when i painted the engine bay, i ran a small space heater to warm the compartment up for the night before i painted. the self etching primer in the rattle can was an excellent product.

kevin
Jenny
How many cans of paint should I be ordering for the engine bay?? Anybody done this before??

Jen
aufaber
QUOTE(Jenny @ May 13 2003, 09:08 AM)
How many cans of paint should I be ordering for the engine bay?? Anybody done this before??

Jen

I think you could do it with two.. three would probably be safe if you are just doing a single coat. I think I went through 3 cans doing 3 coats on the rear decklid.

-Aaron G>

Me, I'd silver por15 The engine bay. Looks nice in Jarred's 510's engine bay and on my trunk and drivers side floor.
Brad Roberts
You havent had that silver out in the saun yet have you ??

It turns yellow. They tell you not to put in areas with contact to the sun.

I used Silver on a 914 cage. Looked like baby piss in about 10 days after driving around with the top off.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.