Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Still some issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Brad, Levi, or any V8 guys, I wired the radiator fans direct to the battery so when I shut it off, they will continue to run till it cools, should I do it differently? Also, I changed out the oil filter this morning and cleaned the mounting surface with a rag to make sure it was clean and then installed the new filter with the normal light oil around the gasket and cinched it up hand tight. It still flows oil from around the filter. I will get under there agian tomorrow after I get back from work and take a picture of it with the filter removed, maybe you can see something I am not. My throttle cable keeps coming off so I will be changing it out also tomorrow with a new one. Other than that, it starts right up and runs strong. Wont be long now.
DrifterJay
wink.gif just watched the video scott....nice....time to go finish lapping my cylinders....
skline
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Oct 17 2004, 09:12 PM)
wink.gif just watched the video scott....nice....time to go finish lapping my cylinders....

Do it just like I told you and it will be fine. I cant believe you are not done with it yet. Get back to work, I expect to see you driving it to D&G next Sunday.
DrifterJay
I didnt get home until 740 this evening .....worked 24 hours straight through the night....I am tired...got to drive back to ft irwin again in about 2 hours.... <_<
skline
Jeesh, and you are working on your car? Way to be a die hard. Good luck and dont fall asleep on the way there.
JB 914
Jared,

Let me know if you still want that radiator setup for the V8.

Hey Scott, lay off Jared. He is really in black ops.ar15.gif that maintanence stuff is all cover. cool_shades.gif

I wouldn't piss him off if i were you. :finger2:
skline
You a funny man, he is like a son to me, I am just worried he is going to rush it and not get it right. Quit Hijacking my thread. I need some answers.
JB 914
Lighten up Francis I'm just trying to icon_bump.gif you!
skline
Doesnt matter, I have a network partially down, I have to go to work now for awhile so I can find out whats going on. Hopefully someone will answer my questions before tomorrow.

OBTW, I know what movie that line is from, pretty scary. "Stripes"
dan10101
I'm not sure what year motor you have or even if they are are different. On ours, there is a oil filter mount that contains the large threaded pipe that the oil filter screws into. That mount screws into the block with 2 3/8"(?) bolts. If it's loose, it could be causing a leak.

Ours was actually missing when we recieved it back from the machine shop.

Here is a picture

oil filter mount

IPB Image
sj914
When you say that oil is coming from the oil filter, is it dripping from the top of it where the rubber gasket is?

One thing you could look at is the oil filter, is it the right one(ask me how I know).
Elliot_Cannon
Hi Scott,
I meant to mention this when I was at your house. I'm sure you checked this and I don't mean to sound insulting but are you sure you have the correct filter for that engine? If the rubber gasket is matching up to the metal rim, I don't see how it is leaking. I've seen a filter that felt tight because the threads were tight but the seal didn't seat on the metal. Anyway my sbc knowledge is somewhat limited so maybe I sould shutup. I expect a ride in that monster by Christmas. LOL
Cheers, Elliot
rick 918-S
QUOTE(sj914 @ Oct 17 2004, 09:17 PM)
When you say that oil is coming from the oil filter, is it dripping from the top of it where the rubber gasket is?

One thing you could look at is the oil filter, is it the right one(ask me how I know).

agree.gif
skline
Well, I had to go to work tonight so I am off tomorrow for awhile, I will get underneath there and take some pictures and look really close where it mates up. I put the first filter on after I painted the block and it had sealed itself on so tight I destroyed it getting it off. I know the gasket was seated against the metal as I had it upside down when I installed it and would have noticed it at that point. There has to be something else. I have that plate that Dan shows in the picture and it is installed otherwise the filter would have nothing to screw to. It has become a mission for me to figure out the oil leak first. So tomorrow morning, I am going under. I will post my results.
skline
Ok, Here are a few pictures of what the filter mounts to, it looks a little different from the picture that Dan posted but you can clearly see where the gasket seals to and I just cant see where it could leak. Any suggestions on what the problem is? Am I missing something?? Help guys, this thing pours out oil.
skline
Second picture
skline
Ok, Oil leak problem solved, I pulled the plate off where the oil filter sits and the bolts were not very tight, I put a little black RTV around the base of it and reinstalled it and the filter. Fired it up and no oil leak. Yahoo!! Now I will do the rest of it and get it test driven this week. I am still wondering about the cooling fans running after the car shuts off. So far it has not been a problem with running the battery down, but there are 2 batteries currently hooked up to it. I want to only run one when I put it on the road. Has anyone else run into issues running the fans after it shuts off?
Sammy
If the rubber gasket is the correct size and the filter doesn't bottom out on the threads it will seal. If the gasket is too small or too larger it will leak.

I don't know if running the fans after shutoff is a good idea or not. Most modern cars are designed that way but I'd be worried about running the battery down.
Maybe a time delay relay to shut the fans down after as pre-determined time?
Howard
Scott, I have a switch on mine, so option is there to have it continue running with the ignition off, but activated by thermo switch. Don't think it does much, as alum radiator cools down very quickly. Heat does build at engine, but cooling radiator won't help that with no pump running. Elec water pump with thermo switch??? How hot does it get? Mine can read 230 at engine and 140 at radiator after being shut down for 10 minutes or so.
skline
Mine goes up to about 210 after shut off and the fans turn off in about 5 minutes. Running an Optima battery I am not sure if I will have a problem or not. I am going to install a switch and light to tell me when the fans are running. The switch would be to turn them on when I want them to in case of thermostat failure at the radiator.
SLITS
Running the fans after the engine is stopped is not problem - It will only "cool" the water that is contained in the radiator as you have no circulation. The thermostat will close on the engine anyway after it cools to a point.

Walking thru parrking lots, you can hear fans on various cars running even though they are on a thermostatic control.

Don't worry, be happy!
aircooledboy
Hey Scott,

The Renegade set up is designed to allow the fans to run after the car is off. In fact, my fans run far more after I shut the car off than they do while I'm driving. I have never had a battery problem (Optima also).

The fans running after the car is shut off actually do much more than just cool the coolant in the radiator. Thermodynamic convection causes the cooler water in the radiator to drop lower into the system, warmer water is then pushed out of the way, through the system, replaces it through the top, and thus you have a slow but effective circulation through the system until the thermo switch cuts the fans. That is why virtually all modern cars do the same thing. They would not be set up this way if you were only cooling the water in the radiator. Not much point in that.

Get that Bad Boyee out on the Street. beerchug.gif
skline
Well, Stupid me got all Renegade except the radiator setup. Its a Rod Simpson setup. Which is not bad, but the Renegade system was $100.00 more so I went with Rod Simpson. Big mistake on my part. The Renegade system comes with everything including the shrouding and the Rod Simpson comes with patterns to make the shrouding, it would have been well worth the $100 for the shrouding already made. Even though I made it myself and got the materials for free, the Renegade system is very clean and complete and I would have saved myself a lot of time going that route. Live and learn I guess. Its pretty much the same setup except Rod Simpson's setup uses 1" and 3/4" hoses as opposed to Renegades 1" and 1-1/4" hoses. I switched the fittings so I could run the larger hoses like Renegades setup. The biggest waste was the hoses I got from Rod Simpson. They were not even green stripe hoses. I went across the street and picked up the wet exhaust hoses which will outlast even the green stripe hoses for less money. I will find out if it cools good enough in the very near future. I guess for now, I will leave the fans hooked up the way they are and see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice.
Aaron Cox
so, whats left before the test drive???
skline
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 18 2004, 09:41 AM)
so, whats left before the test drive???

Front brakes and double check the suspension, I replaced everything on it and want to make sure it is all correct. Then it will go to the alignment shop as I know it is way off. When you hear the tires squeeling when you push it around the driveway, you know it is not right.
Aaron Cox
hey scott, you inspired me to do the volvo calipers. let me know how they work. ill be doin mine shortly
skline
You know, Bernbomb is the one who got me started on them. I saw them on his car out at the Temecula run last year and he told me they work great. It was then I knew that is what I wanted to run on mine. I am not sure if he was running the vented front rotors or not, I know they make them for vented and non vented rotors.
propricer
For whatever it's worth, my 2800 cfm fan is wired such that it stays on after the ignition switch is off.

Hasn't posed a problem for me in the last ... 10 years !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.