Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what would you do with 13 1.7/18 engines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mclane
Hello folks,

This 1973 p914 marks my entry to the world of air cooled auto adventure. after a year search i found a well maintianed driver. i was an air craft mechanic for 10 years and spent many of those years hunched over aircooled airplane engines. i have always wondered about the aircooled car world. the p914 was a perfect choice for me, mid engine, aircooled and it can fit my 6'2" frame.

So here is where the 13 engines come from. after 500 miles on my new purchase i find non ferrous metal in the screen. most pieces were 1/8' wide.

after a search i found 13 engines at a very very good price.

So my question is, What do i do with 13 engines? My ultimate goal is to build a spare engine from a collection of the best parts

but what should i do with the rest?

IPB Image
914junkie
I'm not sure what to do with 13 914 engines but your car just became the new wallpaper on my phone and those wheels are sahweet! aktion035.gif

And... welcome.png
euro911
13 is an unlucky number happy11.gif

Use what you need to build up a spare engine (or two) and list the rest in the classifieds confused24.gif

welcome.png
smj
welcome.png

Rebuild the motors you don't need and sell them off? If they don't move on 914World's classsifieds, they might be popular with the Bug and sand rail crowd?

(Absolutely spoken as one who has not yet tackled an engine rebuild... slap.gif )
ThePaintedMan
I would buy a 1.7 off of you if it ran and was fairly cheap. Trouble would be shipping it to Florida. Nice car dude!
rwilner
There is a market for type 4 cores. Beetle guys do conversions and ghia/teener/bus guys build them into big 4s.

The Cases and 1.8 cylinders (good for boring to 96mm) have value as parts.

If it were me I would sell them all as cores rather then tear them all down. If the fi stuff was intact you might separate that because guys are looking for NLA fi parts.

Good luck and hope your pickup truck is in good shape!
TargaToy
But back to the wheels on your car.... biggrin.gif

What brand/size? What tire size are you running?
ConeDodger
Send them to McMark... He will use them to keep 12 other 914's alive...
mclane
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jun 17 2012, 05:28 PM) *

Alessio sport wheel promotion "neveda"
16x6 with a 3/4 inch space
nitto 205 40 r16

they fill the wheel well nicely
markb
welcome.png
SUNAB914
I still don't understand this thread, but nice car.
Welcome!
Madswede
QUOTE(mclane @ Jun 17 2012, 12:12 AM) *

So my question is, What do i do with 13 engines? My ultimate goal is to build a spare engine from a collection of the best parts

idea.gif Make a 48-cylinder 20.4 liter motor?

What? Dare to dream, man! welcome.png
mclane
QUOTE(Madswede @ Jun 18 2012, 04:19 PM) *

pray.gif the best suggestion yet. I would get .128 miles to the gallon but sound awesome
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(mclane @ Jun 18 2012, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jun 18 2012, 04:19 PM) *

pray.gif the best suggestion yet. I would get .128 miles to the gallon but sound awesome

agree.gif
OR you could focus on buying one 1.7 TIV that is running perfectly w a 90-day warranty for under $500. Plug n play. I did this 5 years ago and never looked back beerchug.gif
TargaToy
QUOTE(mclane @ Jun 17 2012, 11:23 PM) *

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jun 17 2012, 05:28 PM) *

Alessio sport wheel promotion "neveda"
16x6 with a 3/4 inch space
nitto 205 40 r16

they fill the wheel well nicely

Thanks! They look great up front...but a bit close to the fender in the rear. Do they rub?
mclane
No rubbing. Just excellent corning. I feel the rims are a little dated but I love the stance
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.