Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: L-Jet Relay Board Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
The L-Jet doesn't use the 4 wire connector at the rear of the relay board. like the picture below A yellow wire from the dual relay attaches to II or IV ( they are linked ).

Spade I is hot when the key is on; but it's not used on the L-Jet. Can I mount a momentary switch between Spade I and Spade IV to bump start the engine. I think Clay Perrine brought this up once upon a time.
Mike Bellis
Looks like it will work to me on terminal 2 (II)

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
It should work, but you will want to make sure that the wires that feed power to pin I can handle the current that it takes to trigger the starter.

--DD
Tom
Jim,
While that would work electrically, the high currrent may be too much for the power relay. ? Not sure of the current rating on these relays for the relay board. The relay provides the power to #1 of the 4 pin socket. According to Haynes, the pullin current for the starter solenoid is 35 amps, hold in is 11 amps. That was the reason I used a 50 amp relay for the bump/hot start setup on mine. The current to drive the relay I used is 135-150 miliamps. Also using this as a bump feature without a relay using low current will accelerate wear on the switch contacts due to the inductive spike. That is what the diodes are for on the one I made up. Usually, relay contacts are made from a different material that handles inductive spike better than switch contacts.
Tom
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 17 2012, 11:44 AM) *

Jim,
While that would work electrically, the high currrent may be too much for the power relay. ? Not sure of the current rating on these relays for the relay board. The relay provides the power to #1 of the 4 pin socket. According to Haynes, the pullin current for the starter solenoid is 35 amps, hold in is 11 amps. That was the reason I used a 50 amp relay for the bump/hot start setup on mine. The current to drive the relay I used is 135-150 miliamps. Also using this as a bump feature without a relay using low current will accelerate wear on the switch contacts due to the inductive spike. That is what the diodes are for on the one I made up. Usually, relay contacts are made from a different material that handles inductive spike better than switch contacts.
Tom

Thanks for the heads up, I see what you mean.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.