Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heater Pull Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Hey Gang,

Installing the heater control cable and ran into a problem. Yes, I realize there is a left and a right (longer/shorter etc.) but, after trying both ways it appears the cable is bent wrong from the factory. I'm about 3.5" off each way.

Has anyone run into this in the past?

Too Short:
Click to view attachment

Too Long:
Click to view attachment
A&PGirl
That's the same as my new Porsche Cable. The old Porsche is the right length/bend.

I haven't experimented yet with the new cable to make it work.

popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
So I'm not hallucinating from the brake cleaner fumes.

Maybe Bruce has an original...
A&PGirl
Maybe they used a batch of 911 cables and slapped the 914 p/n on it for the 914's to use up stock. Either that or Volkswagen cables.

JimN73
I had the same problem and ended up using some other cabling and small cable clamps to make it work. but it's ugly.
Spoke
Are they equal lengths from the bend? Can you straighten and re-bend?
Eric_Shea
I was successful in re-bending the original. Had to take 3 5/8" from the long side to the short side. YMMV
tomeric914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 18 2012, 04:51 PM) *

I was successful in re-bending the original. Had to take 3 5/8" from the long side to the short side. YMMV

Doing a heater pull cable today and ran into the exact same issue as Eric did a year ago. WTF Porsche? WTF.gif
Cap'n Krusty
WHAT? If the long side was 3.5" too long and the short side was 3.5" too short, it seems pretty obvious you had the ends reversed.

The Cap'n
jeffdon
Heat? Oh, All that stuff.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 18 2013, 10:21 PM) *

WHAT? If the long side was 3.5" too long and the short side was 3.5" too short, it seems pretty obvious you had the ends reversed.

The Cap'n

No... The long side was still longer. It just needed to be balanced a tad more in that favor.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 19 2013, 01:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 18 2013, 10:21 PM) *

The Cap'n

No... The long side was still longer. It just needed to be balanced a tad more in that favor.

Exactly.
mepstein
I had to rebend mine. Worked perfectly when the passenger side was 2" longer than the driver side. (as per eric's suggestion)
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 19 2013, 08:20 AM) *

I had to rebend mine. Worked perfectly when the passenger side was 2" longer than the driver side. (as per eric's suggestion)

agree.gif

I had the same problem. Tried it both ways then measured old cable and rebent and it worked.

Terry
SLITS
I'm not that anal ... I just clamped the wire in the barrel nut ... it works.

Shame on you Erc ... those aren't real 914/6 flapper valves ...

IPB Image
76-914
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 19 2013, 08:37 AM) *

IPB Image

Does this mean Erc is banned from future 914 events until this oversite is corrected?
TJB/914
Hey,
I am having the same problem with too long & too short. headbang.gif
Dang, jack the car up, crawl under & hook both sides up then crawl back out to check the red lever inside the interior. What the heck, I had the red lever in the wrong position. Should the red lever be moved forward to set the correct tension before I crawl back under the car again??? I need a lift. hissyfit.gif
Getting ready for Parade is not fun. screwy.gif
Tom
mepstein
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ May 19 2013, 12:37 PM) *

Hey,
Dang, jack the car up, crawl under & hook both sides up then crawl back out to check the red lever inside the interior. What the heck, I had the red lever in the wrong position. Should the red lever be moved forward to set the correct tension before I crawl back under the car again??? I need a lift. hissyfit.gif
Tom

Red lever forward. This will create slack on the cable. Tighten barrel nut on the flapper valve. Now when you pull the red lever up and back, you will pull the flapper valve lever and open the heat loop. Passenger side cable should be 2" longer for perfect fit. Lube up cable with light grease before you thread into hard metal tubes in tunnel. If the solid cable end gets stuck in the tube before it exits into the engine compartment, open up the radius of the hard metal tube - just a little bit.
TJB/914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 19 2013, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ May 19 2013, 12:37 PM) *

Hey,
Tom

Red lever forward. This will create slack on the cable. Tighten barrel nut on the flapper valve. Now when you pull the red lever up and back, you will pull the flapper valve lever and open the heat loop. Passenger side cable should be 2" longer for perfect fit. Lube up cable with light grease before you thread into hard metal tubes in tunnel. If the solid cable end gets stuck in the tube before it exits into the engine compartment, open up the radius of the hard metal tube - just a little bit.

Thank you, thank you, I am tired of crawling under more than once.
Tom
Drums66
QUOTE(jeffdon @ May 18 2013, 09:33 PM) *

Heat? Oh, All that stuff.

......Go Heat,(Miami) poke.gif
bye1.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 19 2013, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 19 2013, 08:37 AM) *

IPB Image

Does this mean Erc is banned from future 914 events until this oversite is corrected?

No. It means slits is going to send me a pair of -6 boxes for the trailer queen. w00t.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 17 2012, 04:36 PM) *

Hey Gang,

Installing the heater control cable and ran into a problem. Yes, I realize there is a left and a right (longer/shorter etc.) but, after trying both ways it appears the cable is bent wrong from the factory. I'm about 3.5" off each way.

Has anyone run into this in the past?

Too Short:
Click to view attachment

Too Long:
Click to view attachment

Shame on you twice. Put washers on that suspension stiffner nut and bolt. Its gonna gall that purty paint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.