Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what does the flipped 3/5 gear do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
curious, what does this do?

lower rpms in 5th?

curious
bondo
3rd is 23:29 5th is 31:22. Flipping 3rd and usuing it as 5th would give you 29:23, whuch would give you higher RPMs in 5th.
Aaron Cox
bummer. i need to drop tranny sometime and replace seasl (leaks moderately - shifts great) i am running 50 series falkens, and im pulling like 4k on the freeway goin about 80. drives great, was wonderin what this gear swap did while i am doin tranny stuff
bondo
I have an H gear for sale (shameless plug) that will get your highway RPMs way down. The price is dropping very soon.
skline
So 5th gear in a stock 901 is a ZD? I thought it was M. Now I am totally lost.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bondo @ Oct 18 2004, 10:31 AM)
I have an H gear for sale (shameless plug) that will get your highway RPMs way down. The price is dropping very soon.

im clueless about this tranny stuff. its a "while im in there thing" , probably something i can do myself?
bondo
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 18 2004, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE(bondo @ Oct 18 2004, 10:31 AM)

im clueless about this tranny stuff. its a "while im in there thing" , probably something i can do myself?

It's not an easy thing to do, but not impossible either. You'd need Red-Beard's article, my picture article that's in the classics, and the factory shop manuals. Take your time, keep track of what goes where, and it's do-able. You'd probably want to rearrange your existing gears so the jump from 4th to 5th isn't too big. Typically the thing to do (for V8s anyways) is to put the flipped H gear where 5th was, put 5th where 4th was, take 4th, flip it, and put it where 3rd was, and take out the old 3rd.

Scott: all 5 914 transmsissions I took apart had the following gears:

1st: A
2nd: F
3rd: N
4th: V
5th: ZD
TimT
So 5th gear in a stock 901 is a ZD? I thought it was M. Now I am totally lost.

M is typically used as third
propricer
Stock 914 901 gearing is A-F-N-V-ZD where ZD is 31:22.

Using the H ( 19:32 ) gear in place of 5th will drop your highway RPMs down to less than 3,000 RPM.

Also, there are other H gears such as the HA ( 20:32 )and the HB ( 19:31 ).
Aaron Cox
so putting a 5th in the 3rd spot gives you a taller 3rd?

so it sounds like i want a 5th for 3rd, and a stock 5th or an Ha gearset

or i could just buy a 55 series tire next time laugh.gif lol2.gif
skline
I got this gear chart calculator from Carquip, its pretty cool and tells what speed and everything you would get with any size gears or tires. Pretty interesting. I will see if I can attach it.

ok, it wont let me attach it. If anyone needs it, I can send it to you in an email, PM me for it.
eeyore
The swap moves 3rd and 5th lower.
Bleyseng
I swapped the 3rd and 5th gears and I love the flipped 5th gear in 3rd place but the 3rd gear in 5ths place sucked for a street/AX car. I stuck another 5th gear back in to 5th gears spot for a nice close ratio box that you can still freeway drive.

I run 205x50's also

Geoff wacko.gif
Mueller
for a stockish /4 motor, i thought Jake thinks that 5th gear is too tall and that the /4 motor benifits from running at a higher rpm (for cooling) so your current tire choice might be okay..
bondo
But imagine the gas mileage benefit of running an H gear! smile.gif (you would definitely need to downshift on even the slightest hill though)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.