Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flair help - added more pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nickp997
Anyone know how these flares were made? there is a lip on the inside as if it were rolled with an eastwood type flare tool. Dimensionally, it is exact same across bottom of wheel wells as a stock fender. In one picture, you can see there is a flat across the top instead of an arc which matches the stock 914. I'm restoring another and really like the look and am thinking about the eastwood flare. Problem to this point is I cant find one for rent that has 4x130mm adapter.
nickp997
Sorry, fat fingered before I finished. I bought this car from a fellow in Texas. It's originally a Texas car and the second one I've seen with these flares. The other one is another California car and it's listed for sale in here. Can theses be done with Eastwood rolling tool.?
hot_shoe914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
r_towle
could be 911 SC flares...or old school vw rabbit flares.
That was a common solution due to lack of available small flares at the time.

At the end of the day, there is quite a bit you can stretch the stock flares just using a hammer and dolly.
JP Stein did his with a hammer on his first go around...then he eventually got huge flares and cut off the whole fender.

Rich
jmill
QUOTE(nickp997 @ Jun 18 2012, 04:40 AM) *

Can theses be done with Eastwood rolling tool.?

I would say yes but keep in mind that bodywork is an art. A fancy tool doesn't always equal fancy results.
Mike Bellis
I had to modify my Eastwood roller by notching the ring. Seen here before an outer ring was welded on to replace the missing metal. 130mm is larger than the tool will allow.

Click to view attachment
dakotaewing
Was this car in the Austin area?
seanery
interesting - the passenger rear flare is a bit flat in it's radius compared to the driver's rear. I like the passenger side, flat-ish
SirAndy
This is what rabbit flares look like:

IPB Image

shades.gif

Mike Bellis
My guess... All hand made. Each arch looks different at the apex.
rick 918-S
Hand made. Photo the inside of the flare. That will tell the story. I like em. smile.gif
sixnotfour
Handmade
Are not Rabbit flares Plastic ??
Here is top shelf ; Bob Garretson's 914-6
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 18 2012, 10:59 PM) *
Are not Rabbit flares Plastic ??

Wut? confused24.gif

I think some of the early GTIs had some crappy plastic protectors, but the flares are metal ...
popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
Gottcha Thanks , I was thinking of the GTI plastic ones.
914pwer
Nice car
what are the tire size
is it 8x15 rims
i am about to buy new tires and have no idea
sorry for ot
bulitt
Saw a guy at the sema show who cut around the lip (preserving the factory lip) then pulled it out to form the flare edge , then he cut the 1/8th moon curved piece to form the flare and welded it up. It looked awesome.
jmill
I believe his question was can he roll the lip of his fender out using the Eastwood fender roller and get similar results to the fender he pictured. IMHO the answer is yes and no. A great bodyman can do more just using a hammer and a dolly block. A decent one can make it happen with the right tools. An amatuer with the best tools on the market would have a difficult time of it. The real question is how good are you at bodywork? I bought the AA flares because hand forming them was out of my league.
gothspeed
QUOTE(914pwer @ Jun 19 2012, 12:16 AM) *

Nice car
what are the tire size
is it 8x15 rims
i am about to buy new tires and have no idea
sorry for ot

+1 .. yeah what tire sizes are on the first post pics? smile.gif

ok I zoomed in on the third pic from the top and I kinda read 225/X0R15 ........... I could not make out the profile 'series' number (I put an x there) sad.gif ........ it is either a 50 or a 60

Anyone have any idea what it might be, by just 'looking' at it?
nickp997
205-50-R15 on front and 235-50-R15 on back. 15" and 50. front rims are 7-1/2" wide and rear is 8-1/2 wide. sorry for late reply but been traveling. thanks for all the input. I'm gonna try and duplicate the flare on my 74. If I screw it up real bad, well then I'll just have to buy flares. Life is good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.