Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FFC "Get Dirty Day"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Doug Leggins
This Friday is the "Get Dirty Day" at my place!!!

For those that are attending my address is 333 Redbud Drive, Nashville, IN 47448. And my phone numbers are home 812-988-4794 and cell 812-340-0696. Call if you need directions on Friday.

I'll be getting started doing 914 stuff about 8:00AM on Friday. Prolly still be cleaning up the garage-LOL.

Join in whenever your schedule allows. But make it as early as possible I really need your help! - LOL

This event has been a huge motivator for me to make some progress on the car! -Exactly what an event like this should do for us!!! I have a bunch of stuff ready to do - at least I think I do.

We can get as much done as manpower and motivation permit. Or, as little as BS and beerchug.gif allow.

Here's the list of projects that are ready to go -unless I forgot sumthin (parts).
-Install new rubber
-Pilot fog lights
-Engman pedal board asm
-Euro turn signal conversion
-build doors from the shell to complete minus the interior panels
-dash installation, metal core and top pad
-windshield and trim
-rear window
-sail panel vinyl
-hinges and hoods to install -if the painter finishes them in time like he says
-fresh air ducting
-windshield wiper system
-front end height adjustment
-Chris Foley SS fuel line installation
-and more!

If you plan on doing one of these projects to you're car, this would be a great opportunity to see it done.

If you've successfully performed any of the above tasks - I need you - LOL!

And - If you need parts this is a good place to visit.

Attend if you can, there's plenty of space for a bunch of us to gather, work and BS.

Here's the workplace for the day.
Doug Leggins
Here's the car -well roller. I did get the wiring harness installed since I took the pic. -Yes I'm slow -lol.
Doug Leggins
Some of the parts ready to go.
Doug Leggins
more seals and parts ready to go
Doug Leggins
more parts
Doug Leggins
lights and trim
Doug Leggins
Air box and ducting - clean!
Doug Leggins
Some new hardware
Doug Leggins
I received this SS fuel line from Chris Foley today - looks great!
GaroldShaffer
Nice work benches you have there cool_shades.gif
Doug Leggins
This is some of the work that has been done to the bottom side. I'm posting this one just because I like this pic -lol
Doug Leggins
Nice work benches you have there

Ohh Yaaa! there is some pretty cool old chevys under the covers.
Doug Leggins
The chevy's belong to my father-in-law. But if I'm really good....
seanery
Doug,
this looks great!
I can't wait!!!

I'll install the pilot lights! smash.gif
qa1142
Damn, I think I'll start a Windy city Classic so you all can come and work on my car!

laugh.gif
dakotaewing
Doug,
Where did you get all that new hardware? I am in the process of doing the same thing to my car, but it is not even painted yet... Do you still have the "list" that you put together when you bought the hardware? If you did, it would be a huge help to me if you could pass it along - Oh, and by the way.. I love your "garage" !!!

Thom
Doug Leggins
Where did you get all that new hardware?

Most of it came from Ace Hardware. I have found 2 Ace Hardware stores that have a good selection of SS fasteners. One of the stores even has some chrome metric cap screws! I could't resist, I had to buy a few. I also got many of the bolts from a Caterpillar parts place in Indy - thanks for the tip Sean. THe bolt heads have "CAT" stamped on them.

I do have a list of fastener sizes that I have purchased. At some point I will post the fastener info that I have.

One of the things that I'll be watching out for is to make sure that the fasteners that I use meet the duty requirements. I made sure to use the proper grade bolts when installing the suspension pieces. I will use SS where I feel comfortable. But if it's a potential safety issue then I'm using the grade of bolts that the factory used.
Engman
Be very very careful where you use the ss fasteners. Unless you get the real real expensive stuff (and ACE dont cary that) this stuff is the equivelent of a grade 2 faster in terms of strength. Engine sheet metal, cover panels, etc are fine for the ss. Do not use it anywhere you need the stength of a grade 5 or 8 bolt. I hope this is where you intended to use the ss.

M
Doug Leggins
I plan on using the SS fasteners on things like the turnsignal brackets, fog light and horn attachment, engine bay funnels/drain tubes, front hood release bracket under the dash, headlight pivots, trunk targa holders, rear trunk upper and lower latches and the air deflectors on the bottom of the car. These applications seem ok??

Not too sure about using the SS in these applications.
Front and rear lids to hinges and hinges to the body, the engine lid to body, and maybe the bumpers to the body. I have SS fasteners of the correct size for these applications and also 10.9 grade (I think) fasteners from CAT for these applications. What do you guys think? Ace SS or no way on these items?
Engman
All right time for a little o' story on the SS fasteners.......

Last year we are building our mower prototypes and my boss gets the great idea to use ss fasteners throughout the machine - I mean #10 screws all the way up to 3/4" bolts. I tell him no - these will gall and are not as strong, but he insists and he is footing the bill. So we build the machines with ss fasteners - had em snap and gall. Not until he has one of the machines at home and decides to remove a cover panel (3/8"-16 x 3/4" bolt) he has one snap off....... We now use all yellow zinc grade 5 min. throughout the machines.

Now I like some ss bolts and in fact have them on my engine tin throughout top and bottom end. I used allen heads on the tin. No problems so far. I also have them holding the foglight grills.

I would not use them on the hood or engine lid brackets - but it is your call.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.