Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So... how does this come off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob L.
I'm cleaning up my recently acquired '76 2.0 and the EGR system is going.
I have removed the air distributor tubes but the connectors that go into the heads have me puzzled. I don't want to break them and a wrench feels like it's twisting the tube, not loosening it.

Click to view attachment
I can't get the tins off without removing them first.
Do they just press in/pull out? Are they threaded in?
Any help is appreciated.

Lennies914
Leave them in. Get a ball bearing to fit the flare and install the nut over it. If you try to remove the tube you will open a can of worms that will ultimately require you to pull the heads.
Tom
I removed mine to sandblast the tins and paint. I think I used some Kroil to loosen them up. After paint, I reinstalled and used some brass caps to seal the tubes, be careful you don't twist them off, then you will have problems.
Tom
Krieger
Leave them in and put a pipe thread cap on each one. I think its 3/4". Maybe $6 at home depot for 4.
TheCabinetmaker
They are old and prone to leak. I remove them and plug the hole with a bolt. 4 - m10 X 40 X 1.0 bolts cost 5 bucks. Thread sealer on the threads and a dab under the head. I hear some use a 10mm valve adjuster foot, but I would be scared of them coming loose.That said, If they won't break loose with adequate torque, and feel like they are twisting, I'd leavem alone before I broke one.
Bob L.
I would be very happy to cap them and leave them alone. Can I get the tins off if I leave them there?
TheCabinetmaker
I don't think so. Not without damaging the tin. Never tried.
914werke
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jun 23 2012, 07:12 PM) *
Can I get the tins off if I leave them there?
Nope.
Mike Bellis
1/8"NPT thread is the same pitch as the 10mm tube. Get some 1/8 brass plugs.

Put some PB Blaster and heat on it to get it out.
SLITS
3/8" pipe cap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.