Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilt fan components
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I recently had an engine built by McMark driving.gif and I am now starting reassembly.

I figured that this was a good time to have some parts powder coated and hardware zinc plated.

They turned out pretty good so I thought that i would share, here is the result of a couple of pieces.
echocanyons
shroud
JawjaPorsche
Wow! That is purdy! beerchug.gif
r_towle
I would suggest you make sure the fan is balanced now that its all back together.

Rich
Tom
Looking very nice! If it runs as nice as it looks, and it should having McMark rebuild it, you are going to be one happy TEENER! smile.gif
Tom
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 23 2012, 06:44 PM) *

I would suggest you make sure the fan is balanced now that its all back together.

Rich

agree.gif

echocanyons
Thanks for the tip on the fan balance. How is a good way to test the balance of the fan?
rwilner
Is it a full rebuild? If so, you can get the whole rotating assembly balanced -- crank with gears, flywheel, pp, crank, fan. (I think that's everything.). Also a good idea to get your rods balanced end to end and matched to each other, as well as match the pistons. I think shooting for .5g between the heaviest and lightest is what you want.

Any competent machine shop can balance your stuff.

I am new to engine building but that's what I am having done to my parts...others with experience may chime in.
echocanyons
thermostat bellow rebuilt (as much as possible).
echocanyons
mounted
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jun 24 2012, 09:27 PM) *

thermostat bellow rebuilt (as much as possible).

Looks bad to me.
Compressed when cold. Expanded when hot. That looks expanded.
76-914
agree.gif you shouldn't be able to slip much between those bellows when it is cold.
Elliot Cannon
Living in Clovis you ought to just get rid of it. Do you really need heat?
euro911
I made the mistake of taking a fan apart to blast and paint without noting the original orientation. The machine shop had to drill a half-dozen extra holes in the back side of the fan to balance it dry.gif

Lesson learned - I'll ALWAYS stamp some markings on the fan and pulley prior to dis-assembly to assure properly balanced reassembly idea.gif
echocanyons
Looks like the fan is heading to the local machine shop for a balance check.

Any Ideas where one can find a usable thermostat, they are pretty much NLA it seems.
euro911
If the shop says it's out and needs to be drilled, have them mark where the 'heavy' side is. Take it apart and reassemble with the small weight (on the inside of the front of the pulley lip) on the 'light' side and recheck the balance ... they may not have to drill it.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jun 26 2012, 12:18 AM) *

Any Ideas where one can find a usable thermostat, they are pretty much NLA it seems.

There is a guy on the Samba selling new ones: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1036746
reharvey
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Jun 26 2012, 05:38 AM) *

QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jun 26 2012, 12:18 AM) *

There is a guy on the Samba selling new ones: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1036746

agree.gif
echocanyons
Great tips all smilie_pokal.gif
echocanyons
How close is adequate when it comes to balancing the fan?

Porschef
Kelly,

It is purdy, put it back together and enjoy.

I like my attention ho 914 much more than I ever did the very reliable 75 911s I had...never a single problem with the 2.7... Drove it cross country in 93, and the only hiccup was an almost imperceptible hesitation as I was crossing Summit pass in CO...never gave me a problem....

bam914
Making sure the pulley part runs true as well.
echocanyons
I had the fan balanced as a whole, it didn't come out perfect but they didn't have to drill it. How much out of balance is too much?

Also, what marks should I make before plugging this thing back on the engine?

At this point I'm pretty much dying to get my daily driver back on the road.
euro911
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jul 30 2012, 08:14 PM) *
I had the fan balanced as a whole, it didn't come out perfect but they didn't have to drill it. How much out of balance is too much?
How far out of balance did the shop tell you it was? If they didn't drill it, maybe it wasn't too far out confused24.gif

Also, what marks should I make before plugging this thing back on the engine? ...
TDC and either 7.5° (1.8L), or 27° BTDC (1.7 & 2.0L).

Here's a good tech article on Pelican: Click Here
luskesq
Although not my preferred vendor (or 2nd, 3rd), AA has a new type of thermostat that is supposed to work. Their part # : R021119159A, and last I checked it was $74.50. Although this week in the Valley we sure don't need a thermostat as was pointed out above.

All looks great by the way.

Keith
echocanyons
I went ahead and ordered a thermostat on thesamba, probably not necessary but hopefully it helps a bit with warm-ups.

The fan was a couple of grams off, the shop did not recommend to drill it.

I ended up marking TDC and the hard mark on the fan.

It's coming together.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.