Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floor tar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Woody
What's the easiest way to get the sound deadening tar off the floor boards? It's time for my car to go on a diet and this stuff needs to go.
jmill
Dry ice, dead blow hammer and a scraper.
balljoint
When I did it I used a heat gun and a putty knife. Neat and tidy, no wire wheel wires sticking out of my clothes at the end of the day, no messy dust flung all over the place. Heat. Scrape. Dump into a bucket. Repeat.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Woody @ Jun 25 2012, 08:44 AM) *

What's the easiest way to get the sound deadening tar off the floor boards? It's time for my car to go on a diet and this stuff needs to go.

I use a Mapp Gas torch (propane will work). Warm a small section at a time and use a wood chisel or putty knife.
reharvey
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 25 2012, 10:02 AM) *

When I did it I used a heat gun and a putty knife. Neat and tidy, no wire wheel wires sticking out of my clothes at the end of the day, no messy dust flung all over the place. Heat. Scrape. Dump into a bucket. Repeat.

agree.gif
IronHillRestorations
Wood chisels
toolguy
Here's what I found worked the best with the least effort and mess. . On sale now Harbor Freight for $19.99 . . buy some extra of the scraper blades though. . and with the 30 day warranty you can use the hell out of it. . you don't need any heat or cold. . just plug in and go. . . you should be able to do you entire floor in an hour or so. . . only bad part is it make a hell of a racket. . .

http://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-m...tool-68861.html
rohar
One of these with the scraper blade. Amazingly simple and leaves things clean as a whistle.

Can cut through about a 12"x12" section in about a minute:

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/o...tool-67537.html
rohar
almost simulpost toolguy!
boogie_man
QUOTE(reharvey @ Jun 25 2012, 07:10 AM) *

QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 25 2012, 10:02 AM) *

agree.gif

toolguy
simple minds think alike. . .
I tried everything i could think of and most of it was messy. . I stripped the entire car, everywhere in a week. . . Bad part was when i went inside in the evening, i realized how bad my ears were ringing from the noise. . On a bare tub, it's like you're inside a giant cymbal so you might think about soem ear protection. .

Back to the old "Homeowners complaint", this is what started the lady next door complaining. . .
OU8AVW
I told my 15 year old...."go get that black crap off the floor of my 914." Then I bought him some ice cream......
Easy!
bandjoey
HF sells EarPlugs for the 1/2 hour it takes to take the tar off with the vibrator tool... beer3.gif
stuttgart46
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jun 25 2012, 07:34 AM) *

I told my 15 year old...."go get that black crap off the floor of my 914." Then I bought him some ice cream......
Easy!

And what a great way to spend a summer day. Great idea. I'm assuming this works with 14 year olds as well.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jun 25 2012, 11:34 AM) *

Easy!

beerchug.gif av-943.gif Here's to manual labor!
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 25 2012, 02:22 PM) *

Easy!

Thats only if your son is named Manual. laugh.gif
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 25 2012, 07:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Jun 25 2012, 08:44 AM) *

I use a Mapp Gas torch (propane will work). Warm a small section at a time and use a wood chisel or putty knife.

agree.gif This method was really easy and effective.
SirAndy
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 25 2012, 07:02 AM) *
heat gun and a putty knife

agree.gif
Rand
Ayup, heat is your friend. Follow the glue lines and it lets go quickly. A wide blade peels it off fast. Many threads on this.

As I've said before, I can have the tar out of at least one side of the floorboard with tools in my garage before you can even get back here with dry ice. (Although dry ice is fun too. Make sure you pick up a case of plastic water bottles while you're at it. happy11.gif )
Woody
Thanks guys. I'll definitely try the heat method. beerchug.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 25 2012, 04:02 PM) *

Easy!

Si senor biggrin.gif
pdlightning
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 25 2012, 06:33 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 25 2012, 04:02 PM) *

Easy!

Si senor biggrin.gif

Harbor Freight also makes a pneumatic gasket scraper with several heads for about $25 bucks. It also makes a lot of racket, but HF also sells hearing protection even cheaper!

I used it in mine and it worked well.
kwlane
Propane torch with chisel, comes right up once soft. Just do it outside, fumes are a little nasty.
euro911
Sometimes neighbors can get a little irritated when we make noise, especially if they're not expecting it.

I try to give them advanced notice ... it helps to keep the peace sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.