Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 towing trailer more info please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Lawrence took these pics at the MUSR. This would be a nice setup for my AX project. I would like to get a few more details on how / where the hitch was mounted. I assume the plug for the trailer lights just comes out of the trunk? confused24.gif
GaroldShaffer
Pic#2.
VegasRacer
On a boxster.
Cap'n Krusty
Trailer? With the exception of an autocross trip, why would you ever need one? For the Wramble, Lyn and I had a small cooler, SEVEN cases of bottled beer, 2 banners, a camera case and tripod, a box of CDs, a hang up bag, and luggage for 2 for 4 days in the 911. A 914 has easily twice the space. We took a 2 week honeymoon in the same car with even more empty space, seeing as we didn't need the beer .................
The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
I don't have pictures, but he had a receiver that had the retaining pin inside the rear trunk. Very nicely done, but He has to move the license plate to attach the trailer.

Oh.. and Capt'n.... I agree with you on the trailer. And the idea I had for hauling AX tires was to put them on an old top on a piece of all thread. At the site, just lift off the top and put the normal top back on for the AX runs. Looks ugly rolling down the road, but it allows you to haul tires.

But I don't think that will work for my car with the 16" rims with the 245x45/16s on them.

I may end up with a trailer for them.
GaroldShaffer
With the exception of an autocross trip

Um, that's why I want one. biggrin.gif I really don't want to keep the racing tires in the car, plus all the other crap I take with me when I AX. I have a tailer, just interested in the way this hitch is mounted to the car. Anyone got moe pics??? Please..... pray.gif beer.gif biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
He's a local guy. Name is Robert Murphy. I can prolly get some pics for you.
GaroldShaffer
Curt, that would be great! Thank you! beerchug.gif

I would like to see the under side and the inside of the trunk.

Thanks!
URY914
My dad and I made a single wheel trailer for my car when I went off to College.
It bolted up to the bumper mounts.

I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Paul
Joe Bob
I did one on the Rocket. Welded a reciver in the trunk, hitch went thru the old trunk lock hole. When not in use it was covered by the reflector....
GaroldShaffer
I don't have a reflector on my 914, nor do I want one. biggrin.gif I like the looks of this one behind the plate. I am sure I can fad some sort plate bracket that flips down or up out of the way like other "vintage" cars of the 60's-early 80's did to get to the gas caps.
dakotaewing
Gerold,
That car belongs to Murphy, who apparently is pretty active in the PCA or SCCA autocross events in Tulsa - I know that he lives near George Schaffer, who also frequents this board. The mount is the smaller type receiver (1.25"), that has been flipped upside down, and bolted to the trunk floor, directly under the latch.
(Similar to this, only the smaller reciever.)
The receiver goes through the rear wall and is mounted flush with the bumper. Murphy had his trunk covered in custom carpet, and you would never know the receiver was even there if you weren't looking for it. I'm sorry, but I did not take any photos -

-Thom
Joe Bob
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Oct 19 2004, 11:39 AM)
I don't have a reflector on my 914, nor do I want one. biggrin.gif

Ooooh a fashion critic..... blink.gif

It was the easist way to get a hitch in there w/o having to pull the trans and do it like that guy did.....AND cover the receiver hole....

As to towing....well after I had a trailer come off the ball on my 911....I decided, screw this and went back to either packing the P-car to the roof or trailering the whole thing.

I had some maroon cut me off and with my good brakes stopped so fast the trailer and it's weight popped the tongue off the ball.....crushed a brand new supertrapp.... <_<
GaroldShaffer
Ooooh a fashion critic.....  
blink.gif

laugh.gif beerchug.gif

Just trying to think of cheaper ways than buying a trailer to haul the car around with. My wife wants to come along next year and I really don't think she would like to sit on the tires. wink.gif

Found this picture, I think from a car on ebay but barf.gif
AndrewBlyholder
I trailered my tools and race tires to PCA and SCCA events for several years with a small trailer. I didn't want to add any weight to the car, so I built a removable sub-frame that bolted to the engine bar and the tranny mounts. Only two drop links from the tranny mounts had to stay on the car. Mounting and removal took only 2-3 minutes. It wasn't beefy, but worked fine for a small trailer. (I even put a full size side-by-side refrigerator on it once when my truck was out of commission.)

Andrew
AndrewBlyholder
trailer sub-frame
AndrewBlyholder
sub-frame bolted to car
AndrewBlyholder
attachment to engine bar with hitch pin as shear pin. I started out using two bolts in this location, but over time, switched to the single hitch pin as strong enough and much quicker to install/uninstall.
GaroldShaffer
Hey, now were talking clap56.gif
AndrewBlyholder
mounting at tranny
AndrewBlyholder
riser section - tubes are 1"x1". Dont' remember the wall size, but not too beefy, maybe 1/16" or 3/32". All other plate sections are 1/4" plate
TheCabinetmaker
Garold, you have a pm.
GaroldShaffer
Thank you Curt! beer.gif
d914
miata guys use the lic plate hanger for a small reciever.
If you still have a steel bumper look at the miata stuff.
GaroldShaffer
Bringing this topic back to life, winter project 2005 rolleyes.gif Since I am getting more and more in to AXing and my wife wants to ride along with me and I run DOT R tires now it is making it a pain the bootyshake.gif to haul my tires in the car and have my wife follow me with her car. So I'm going to do it, make a setup simular to Robert Murphy, Andrew I like your setup also but the cool factor of the hidden hitch has me hooked (no pun intended).

Curt I sent you a PM, seems I have lost all my info that Robert sent me plus his email address. slap.gif dry.gif sad.gif
Can you hook me up again (again no pun intended) biggrin.gif pray.gif
gregrobbins
Gerold, please start a thread on your fabrication and installation. Heck, I am interested so maybe you can do a group buy on parts and stuff? I'll bet there are a few others interested too. Harbor Freight has inexpensive build yourself trailers that would work great.
gregrobbins
Now here is a trailer.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Oct 27 2005, 09:02 PM)

Curt I sent you a PM, seems I have lost all my info that Robert sent me plus his email address.

I'm not sure Curt is on the list at this time. If you don't hear from him, let me know and I can most likely hook up with Murphy.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Oct 27 2005, 09:05 PM)
Gerold, please start a thread on your fabrication and installation. Heck, I am interested so maybe you can do a group buy on parts and stuff? I'll bet there are a few others interested too. Harbor Freight has inexpensive build yourself trailers that would work great.

Greg I will do that. I am going to have Brad Mayeur install my Engman Long kit this winter and I will have him cut the bumper at the same time. I plan to use a trailer like this one to haul my AX stuff. Its going to be fun w00t.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif driving.gif
maf914
In the seventies I recall seeing an advertisement for 914 and 911 trailer hitches. The 914 model had four arms that I assume straddled the tranny and bolted to the trunk floor. These then came together and the tongue went below the rear bumper and curved up to the ball location. At the time I wondered why anyone would put a trailer hitch on a 914? laugh.gif
ehick72
I am glad yall are talking about this. I have been toying with the idea of building a teardrop trailer(example). Hopefully for being pulled by my 914. Of course it may never happen with the amount of projects I have one my plate right now. Just so I know does anyone know the towing capacity of a 2.0L? Could it tow 1200-1400LBs. Thats the big one. I am sure I could build a lighter one.
Aaron Cox
set em vertical in the rear trunk....

trailers make me barf.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 31 2005, 07:35 AM)
set em vertical in the rear trunk....

trailers make me   barf.gif

who asked you flipa.gif that is not a option for me. Try hauling all your AX crap and your wife / SO in your 914, doesn't make for a fun time. wacko.gif

Joseph I sent you a PM, thank you beer.gif
ehick72
check out these trailers.....a place here in Austin makes custom trailers that look like your car. I wonder if they could make one for a 914. It probably wouldn't hold much.
little trailers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.