Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Belt repairs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
deleted
JRust
I have zero desire to do that! I'd have no problem paying somebody to do it for me idea.gif . You feel like doing a few more????
mrholland2
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 28 2012, 01:09 PM) *

I have zero desire to do that! I'd have no problem paying somebody to do it for me idea.gif . You feel like doing a few more????

Ya, it looks like someone's hobby might bring in a shekel or two and help us chickens out.

Windeeee springs and I are NOT compatible.

Sean pray.gif
Bartlett 914
Deleted
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 28 2012, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jun 28 2012, 04:58 PM) *

Ya, it looks like someone's hobby might bring in a shekel or two and help us chickens out.

Sean pray.gif

I ma willing. PM me if interested.

I would be very interested in this service as well, especially if you could source/replace the webbing.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't even touch somebody else's seat belts without having them sign a waiver, preferably one that is drawn up by a good attorney. It's not worth risking everything you own to make a few bucks. I would also fully document each rebuild with pictures to be able to show that they were reassembled correctly. CYA will save the day!
smj
Nice work, great pictorial thread! w00t.gif

So just to be clear, you're willing to rewind/refurbish the retracting belts. Any thoughts about re-webbing?

EDIT: D'oh, left the thread sitting too long before I replied!
Bartlett 914
Deleted
shuie
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 28 2012, 05:58 PM) *

I am looking into doing this as a full service. I will post back if I can locate proper replacement material. In the meantime, I will offer a cleaning service on them. This really helps make them work smoother.

PEP has always been the go-to place for any and all Porsche seatbelt repairs. I just went to their website last week and saw that they were no longer doing the work. sad.gif

There is definitely a market for this. Maybe you can fill the gap left by PEP getting out of the Porsche seatbelt business. It may be worth it to call them about the parts, material, etc..

http://www.peparts.com/StoreFront.bok
GeorgeRud
I also found a site (retrobeltusa.com) that sells new seatbelts that look like they would possibly fit as well.

I haven't tried any yet, but like the idea of having new seatbelt material after 30 years of service. If the old ones can be cleaned and rewebbed, that would be nice to keep the originality however.
partwerks
I tightened mine both up some more so they will retract better. Not that hard to do. I just used a needle nose vise grips and screw driver to keep it from spinning backwards after I got the belt out.

Be careful when removing the black cover so that the spring doesn't jump out at you. I used a flat blade screw driver and eased under it as I lifted it off so it would stay flat and in place.
JmuRiz
Mmmmm, interested, as mine could use some smoother operation for sure!!!
76-914
thumb3d.gif Glad you took the time to do the pictorial. I just did mine a few weeks back but was in a big hurry so no pic's. Two things I'd add (highjack) to help with retraction. Polish the chrome piece that your belt slides thru. That drag is critical at the end when the spring is at it's weakest point. The other is to pull the belt out all the way to see if the belt has a twist or fold in it. This will double the thickness at that point and make the roll too thick. The same as if you added an extra wrap of seat belt material.
SUNAB914
Could have used you a couple years ago. Bad timing for me but looks great for others.
rhodyguy
1 vote for classic status.

fine pictures, great text.

k
ClayPerrine
I just bought new seat belts from Porsche. Granted, they are for a 944, but they fit and work just fine.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 30 2012, 03:56 AM) *

I just bought new seat belts from Porsche. Granted, they are for a 944, but they fit and work just fine.

Clay, what do they look like installed? dry.gif You've got me thinking I need to wander on down to the Porsche dealership...
TargaToy
Thanks for posting this. My 72 just had fixed belts but I pulled the retractors out of a 75 so I could upgrade. I'd pulled the belts out of the assemblies but hadn't gotten the gumption to pull the caps yet. I was a little concerned that the internals wouldn't be safe due to the age but based on what you've shown us, I'll probably perform the operation and just add new webbing if I can find it. Looks like they are not ultra complicated inside.
lotus_65
well done article! thanks for putting it together.
EdwardBlume
Nice work! You've taught me never to do that. cheer.gif
mrholland2
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 28 2012, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 28 2012, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jun 28 2012, 04:58 PM) *

Sean pray.gif

I ma willing. PM me if interested.

I would be very interested in this service as well, especially if you could source/replace the webbing.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't even touch somebody else's seat belts without having them sign a waiver, preferably one that is drawn up by a good attorney. It's not worth risking everything you own to make a few bucks. I would also fully document each rebuild with pictures to be able to show that they were reassembled correctly. CYA will save the day!

Not an attorney or anything close, but if people were going to be that litigation-happy, they already have recourse JUST from the instructions being posted.

A now-deceased friend of mine used to say "How many ambulance chasing lawyers does it take to shingle a roof?"

"Well, it depends on how thinly you slice them"

lol-2.gif
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 30 2012, 04:56 AM) *

Please provide the details....year ,part number. Etc. thanks

smj
I came looking for all the detailed pics in this thread because I can't get the 944 belts I bought to feed out, and all the OP's pictures (and text) have ben removed. What gives?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(smj @ Jul 15 2012, 01:17 AM) *

I came looking for all the detailed pics in this thread because I can't get the 944 belts I bought to feed out, and all the OP's pictures (and text) have ben removed. What gives?

Sorry but I got sick and tired of so many "you will get sued" crap. F__ck it
ThinAir
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Jun 30 2012, 03:17 PM) *

Not an attorney or anything close, but if people were going to be that litigation-happy, they already have recourse JUST from the instructions being posted.

It's a real shame that this kind of post resulted in the gutting of a great thread (before I got to see it). Everything on this site comes with a built-in disclaimer of "this is how I did it, no guarantees it will work for you". We all proceed at our own risk with following any of the advice received here. I really hate the idea of self-censoring out of fear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.