Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: twisted engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkS
Replacing my Monza muffler with something quieter and noticed one side of the exhaust was a good bit lower than the other. Once the exhaust was removed, it seems the whole engine + transmission is rotated a bit towards the driver's side.

Any clue as to why this would happen? Pics below. Thanks in advance.

MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
TargaToy
Has your left transmission ear broken loose from the mount? Is it bolted into place without the bushing between the right ear and the bottom of the trunk?
SLITS
Either your mounts are bad / damaged / ?? or the body is twisted.
jsayre914
take a picture of the rear of the tranny looking up at the mount, you may even be missing some harware

also from the top of the engine does the tin line up on both sides or can you get your fingers in there. Scarry

blink.gif
MarkS
ok, found it. see pics below. this does not look cheap.

what is the fix? Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=319
574]Click to view attachment
jmill
Looks like it's been fixed before. It's not as bad as you would think. Dr. Evil can hook you up with parts. I have two nose (or is it tail on a teener) cones hanging around my garage. I'm sure others closer to you have spares. I'd check the front engine mounts too. The rubber may be torn up.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 28 2012, 01:05 PM) *

Either your mounts are bad / damaged / ?? or the body is twisted.

Missing or loose left transmission mounting bolt ?
MarkS
QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 28 2012, 05:33 PM) *

Looks like it's been fixed before. It's not as bad as you would think. Dr. Evil can hook you up with parts. I have two nose (or is it tail on a teener) cones hanging around my garage. I'm sure others closer to you have spares. I'd check the front engine mounts too. The rubber may be torn up.

It does look like it may have been welded before.

What does the fix involve? Replacing the nose/tail?
TheCabinetmaker
Replace it. Has the car been in a wreck? That is usually what happens when it gets in hit the rear or from one side. Have two here with both sides snapped on impact.
jsayre914
Easy fix, you will have it up and running in a day

smile.gif

No kidding, cheer.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(MarkS @ Jun 28 2012, 04:40 PM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 28 2012, 05:33 PM) *

It does look like it may have been welded before.

What does the fix involve? Replacing the nose/tail?

Looks like the transmission has been neglected. It can be changed in the car but I would suggest sending it out or do a swap. I am guessing you are way overdue for an oil change.
MarkS
Has not been in a wreck as far as I know.

Ok, so I need to replace the tail cone. Where does on find one? Should I look for a used one? (note my "newbie" status)

Also, what else should I do while I'm back there? New rubber mounts? Anything else?
jsayre914
QUOTE(MarkS @ Jun 28 2012, 05:57 PM) *

Has not been in a wreck as far as I know.

Ok, so I need to replace the tail cone. Where does on find one? Should I look for a used one? (note my "newbie" status)

Also, what else should I do while I'm back there? New rubber mounts? Anything else?

First post a WTB/ ad for the parts

then

send a PM to Dr. Evil

Mike is a way cool guy, and he has one for sure.

beerchug.gif
MarkS
ok, thank you.
Valy
Since the ear broke twice in the same place there are 2 possibilities:
1. bad welding the first time
2. there is some stress on that ear due to body deformation. Make sure this is not the case before you make the repair and brake it again.
MarkS
Got it, thanks.
jmill
QUOTE(MarkS @ Jun 28 2012, 04:57 PM) *

Check your front engine mounts. I think they're torn up putting extra stress on the left ear.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 28 2012, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(MarkS @ Jun 28 2012, 04:57 PM) *

Check your front engine mounts. I think they're torn up putting extra stress on the left ear.

agree.gif that was my first thought
underthetire
Think you should change both the motor mounts and trans mounts. You don't want to go through this twice if you can avoid it.
TargaToy
I'm amazed you were able to select all 5 gears.
Dr Evil
Wow, let me know if I can help.
MarkS
I was able to select all gears but did notice that 1st to 2nd wanted to go to 4th.
TheCabinetmaker
There should be someone real close to you that has the parts you need. Maybe if you go in person you'll get the right stuff.
MarkS
Was quoted $160 to fix it or $395 for a used one by that "someone real close to you". Thoughts?
poorsche914
If you can find a tail shift cone (usually cheaper), that will work, too. Will just have that ugly appendage sticking out dry.gif
Dr Evil
Don't be in a hurry. I will get back to u tonight. I can bet those prices by a lot. Tail shift cone would be free if u go that route.
MarkS
Great, thanks Dr Evil, (Mike?). I'm in no rush. 103 degree in Atlanta today, the 914 without AC is not the current ride of choice.
monkeyboy
Whoa... It's 100+ in LA this week too...

The 914 is ALWAYS the ride of choice.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Valy @ Jun 28 2012, 06:37 PM) *

Since the ear broke twice in the same place there are 2 possibilities:
1. bad welding the first time
2. there is some stress on that ear due to body deformation. Make sure this is not the case before you make the repair and brake it again.

Perfectly stated. Sent a PM with prices and options to save $$.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.