914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
seanery
Hands Up!
The State of California Targets Street Rod Owners for Potential Fraud
By Brian Brennan
Story Link
IPB Image

On Wednesday the 6th of October, 22 law enforcement agents and other individuals from the State of California, Department of Justice Fraud Division, Department of Motor Vehicles, California Highway Patrol, Department of Automotive Repair and others arrived with guns drawn and flak vests on at the shop of Boyd Coddington Hot Rods & Collectibles (La Habra, California).

No, this wasn't the making of an episode of American Hotrod but rather a bona fide attempt to serve a warrant issued and carried out by duly vested officers for the purpose of investigating Boyd Coddington on the suspicion of fraud. The alleged fraud charges stemmed from an ongoing investigation by the State of California that has for the past several years been limited to the kit car industry but has now been expanded to the street rod industry. The State of California is looking for cars that meet one or more of the following criteria that would lead to registration or license fee fraud.

Street Rodder has learned via e-mail communications with Robert Morgester, the Deputy Attorney General Special Crimes Unit for the State of California Department of Justice, "The California Attorney General's Office has been conducting an investigation into the fraudulent registration of replica vehicles. The initial investigation was limited to Cobra replica vehicles due to known VIN sequences. We are aware that the same fraudulent vehicle registration issues apply to other replica vehicles and hot rods.
To correct a common misunderstanding of California law, it is a felony to do the following:
1. Register a vehicle where the year of vehicle is misrepresented;
2. Register a vehicle where the value of the vehicle is understated; or
3. Register a vehicle where the year of the vehicle is misrepresented to avoid compliance with California smog laws.

Any of the above actions are a felony in violation of Vehicle Code Section 4463(a). Additionally, the above actions constitute the crime of perjury, in that all statement of facts contained in California DMV documents are taken under penalty of perjury."

In speaking with Boyd Coddington he told SRM that the State of California seized certain company records for further investigation. Boyd also told SRM that three license plates were removed from vehicles within his consignment shop. These vehicles were built decades ago by the likes of Fat Jack and Pete & Jake's. Apparently the state of California is looking into any improprieties that would lead to the state being "shorted" tax or registration dollars.

Boyd also told SRM that he had to show records proving such vehicles as the Whatthehey and the Alumatub were legally registered and taxed, which they were. He also had to show records on two of his Boydster's that were built and given away as to how they were registered and how were the vehicle's values determined and did the new owners pay the appropriate taxes. At the time of this writing it appears Boyd's business has done everything according to the law but that SRM has been told the investigations will not stop with his shop. Boyd was singled out because of his "visibility" on the television show American Hot Rod and that other California builders would soon be paid a visit.

Additionally, SRM learned that law enforcement officials, it is believed were California Highway Patrol, recently visited the Labor Day Cruise, held annually in Costa Mesa at the fairgrounds, looking for "suspicious" vehicles. When asked what constituted a "suspicious vehicle" it was determined that any fiberglass car is suspect.

Again, according to the Office of the Attorney General from the State of California, its Department of Justice, "To date, the ongoing investigation has identified at least five other out-of-state companies that have provided fraudulent vehicle purchase agreements and titles to California vehicle owners. The companies are in Alabama, Nevada, New York and Florida. The Attorney General's Office believes as many as 70,000 vehicles have been illegally registered in California through these scam operations.

The California Department of Motor Vehicles is in the process of canceling registrations that involve documents obtained from Titles Unlimited. (Titles Unlimited is believed to have provided false documents to Californians that cost the state more than $1 million in tax revenues and license fees over the past two years, and as much as $14 million since 1975, when the company began operating.) The Attorney General's Office also has notified law enforcement officials in more than 20 counties regarding residents who titled their cars through the company for possible prosecution."

Attorney General Bill Lockyer of the State of California tells us that an Alabama man was convicted on felony charges for issuing false vehicle titles in a scam that has cost the State of California millions of dollars in lost tax revenues and license fees.

"This illegal operation provided false information regarding the purchase of expensive vehicles to hundreds of Californians, which allowed them to avoid smog requirements and pay reduced sales taxes and vehicle registration fees," Lockyer said. "At a time when California and its residents are forced to confront painful budget choices, these scam artists defrauded the state and all law-abiding taxpayers who have done their part to get through our economic slump. We will continue to investigate to ensure these tax cheats are brought to justice."

Street Rodder has contacted SEMA and they are immediately investigating to see what options rodders have, especially the thousands of rodders who have operated in good faith for decades and have done nothing to raise the suspicion of the state. To all street rodders this is the single most important subject to be addressed by our industry in all the years that any of the staff members can recall. Stay in touch with Street Rodder: we are on top of his developing story and will bring www.streetrodderweb.com readers more information as we get it.
URY914
They should arrest him for those shirts he wears. biggrin.gif

And they needed the flak vests for that ex-wife of his that runs the office. lol2.gif

Paul
aircooledboy
Sheeeesh.

Great use of tax dollars baby. The good news is that the investigation will probably cost 25 million, and recover 3 million. But damnit, those evil car freaks will be scared to death. MOOOOHOOOOWHAAAAA!!!
tdgray
Way to Go CA !

Another liberal wacko solution to a insignificant problem. huh.gif

GOOD JOB smilie_pokal.gif
Rhodes71/914
On Wednesday the 6th of October, 22 law enforcement agents and other individuals from the State of California, Department of Justice Fraud Division, Department of Motor Vehicles, California Highway Patrol, Department of Automotive Repair and others arrived with guns drawn and flak vests on at the shop of Boyd Coddington Hot Rods & Collectibles (La Habra, California).

Aren't there some real criminal to harass.

I just love govt. agencies and cops, its great when the get together and do worthwhile work wink.gif
dflesburg
I hate hippies!

ar15.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Oct 20 2004, 09:04 AM)
I hate hippies!

ar15.gif

Please explain, enlighten me.
dmenche914
there would be more complience with the laws, if the laws were deemed fair, they are not fair in California, and like any oppressed people, we are fighting back, recall the revolution, the boston tea party?

California charges a ton of money in car taxes every year, making it very expensive to maintian hobby cars. The smog regulations, whith they recently made worse, are stupid at best, with the equipment inspection and such for older cars, when you can burn a smokey wood fire all year long, yet you dinged for a hobby car that burns clean, and is driven few miles Smog tests are also very expensive, and laws that prevent the smog station from making ANY adjustment to bring your car in line with smog limits are a pain int he ass, you have to leave make the adjustment, and come back for a retest (at added cost0 This rule applies to test only statons.

Bad laws produce law breakers, more power to them. If the god damn state government could control it s spending, maybe they wouldn't be taking it out on car owners, but thats anougher issue.

screw the government
dinomium
Who is the gobunator of that state? idea.gif
Lou W
Posted on Oct 20 2004, 10:16 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there would be more complience with the laws, if the laws were deemed fair, they are not fair in California, and like any oppressed people, we are fighting back, recall the revolution, the boston tea party?

California charges a ton of money in car taxes every year, making it very expensive to maintian hobby cars. The smog regulations, whith they recently made worse, are stupid at best, with the equipment inspection and such for older cars, when you can burn a smokey wood fire all year long, yet you dinged for a hobby car that burns clean, and is driven few miles Smog tests are also very expensive, and laws that prevent the smog station from making ANY adjustment to bring your car in line with smog limits are a pain int he ass, you have to leave make the adjustment, and come back for a retest (at added cost0 This rule applies to test only statons.

Bad laws produce law breakers, more power to them. If the god damn state government could control it s spending, maybe they wouldn't be taking it out on car owners, but thats anougher issue.

screw the government

Good Point agree.gif
eeyore
Yeah...

Maybe SEMA should propose & back a bill to severely regulate wood burning fireplaces. That should give the Sierra Club and Earth Firsters a taste of their own medicine.

Note that the majority of the statements cover lost revenue, under the guise of environmental protection.
rhodyguy
a bit aside... i'd be one angry prick if i worked in that shop. the shop manager and i would be squaring off. right after i got done knocking the shit out of that fat little fucker with the mouth, blueberry? then i would get some of my zippo fluid, squirt some on bolyd's hula shirt and light him on fire. perhaps it's all for the cameras. i think i've watched it twice. back on point, i should think the authorities would better serve the public, hanging the energy thieves.

kevin
andys
It's all about the State losing out on fees and taxes. They will go after that so as to set example. From this, funds and enforcement are diverted away from otherwise better suited needs........They don't make money on chasing criminals.

I took my old Toyota truck in for a smog inspection. All the numbers were very very good (even got comment from guys running the test), but failed visual for timing being 10* BTDC, rather than spec 5* BTDC. I re-set the timing; they re-run the test; all the numbers were higher but in spec....but it just HAD to be set to 5* BTDC to be a *non-polluter*!

Andy
Sammy
Uhhhhh, it isn't the state, it is the tree hugging bleeding heart liberal environmentalist lobbies that are forcing the issue. They spend lots o' money getting certain lawmakers elected so they can pass laws that reflect the special interest's interests.
That is why new cars cost so much, why smog laws cost so much, why gasoline costs so much and why the government always goes after cars.

California has waaaaay too many tree huggers, any other states want some? We'd be glad to send em your way.
lapuwali
California charges a ton of money in car taxes every year, making it very expensive to maintian hobby cars.

I don't know about a "ton". I just got the annual "car tax" (aka license fees) for my '63 Mini, and it's $51. This is strictly a "hobby car", and I think less than $5/mo can't reasonably be considered "a ton". As I recall, the license fee for my 914 was roughly $100, or about $9/mo. Considering maintenance and other bits for the car run $1000-2000 per year, $50-100 is a drop in a pretty large bucket. Going out of your way to avoid such taxes seems just as petty as the authorities raiding someone suspected of doing it.
dmenche914
yes older cars are cheaper to register than new cars, but my old car went from about $36 / yr to $50+/yr recently, I have ten cars, i am not rich, it is just my hobby, the $50/yr per car is $500/yr total, thats after tax money that i fork out, several days to weeks take home pay all going to car registration. it is a ton of money to me.
Smog tests take my time, time is money, the smog tests also cost a lot, the state has now required expensive dyno tests in many areas, further increasing the cost, gone are the $20 smog check plus $8 for state certificate, which is hardly suitable for framing, it is a computer print, that is until they went paperless, so why the fee now days????

The state sees cars a money source. (part right, the 914 can be a money pit) There are plans by some politicians to raise the car tax even more. What they do is spend spend spend (so much for that cut cut cut arnold bastard) they build up a huge debt, and then tell us they need to raise taxes for the children, or some crap like that, all the while they spend on pork, fancy pension funds (which most civilian workers never have), but when they ask for money it is always for some special heart wrenching thing.

The people are to blame also. 1. they elect the bad politicians, and 2. every time the people vote, there is several bond issues, which almost always pass, now we are asked to vote on:
prop. 61, a $1.5 billion bond for children hospitals, cost of this bond is about $50 per person, but since most do not pay taxes directly (ie children, low income, illegals, etc...) the true cost for a taxper or family is much higher, maybe $100-$200 for a worker to pay. (funny hospitals are going broke in south california because of illegals using "free" medical service, yet the politicains will not crack down on them, it is their right to free medical care, at my expense. )

Prop 63 a tax on millionaires will collect $800 million per year. this also effect small bussiness. the money is to be spent on metal heath care! Thats right grab money to spend on lonnies, hell just put a fence around the whole state and declare it insane!

Prop. 67 a $500 million tax on cell phone use for emergancy medical services, (see above on illegals using free emergency care)

Prop 71 will fund stem cell research, cost is $6 BILLION which is about $200 per person, but much higher per tax payer. Stem cell reasearch may be a good charity, however dammit, I want to choose what charity I give too. Money stolen from me for stem cell research might be better spent by me with a donation to the Lung Association, or cancer research or what ever.

The problem is california will likley pass all these bonds. The majority of voters have decided to spend spend spend, we are at the point where we either have more voters on the take than not, so bonds always pass, and we are forced into tough choices because politicians screw things up, so that we believe we must spend to fix the problem. I am afraid it is too late to save the state, we have reached the critical mass of more in the government hand out line, that in the productive citizen catagory, so the votes go with the hand out party line, and we get further in debt.

At local levels it is the same. Government at city levels make sweet deals with developers to over build, that impacts traffic, water supplies and such, the traffic gets so bad because of these new developements that the people are all but forced to vote for road bonds. Does anyone ever plan ahead, ask the developer to take on the full cost? NO.

My city is obsesed with water rationing, we are asked to fillout a form, number of people in the house, square feet of lawm, gardens, and told we must conserve, the city is even giving away "free" low flush toilets to citizens. That's just great, I pay for some thing someone else shits on!

Now the same city council votes to triple the building hieght limit, and wants to build a 2000 unit set of a dozen 21 story skyscrapers. But wait we are out of water, no problem the city will require rationing, on me, and they are raising water rates, and installing recycled sewer water pipes to water public areas throughout the city (at great cost) So again an example of a crisis made by the city, which the city will solve by taxing me more. Not to mention the estimated 14,000 new car trips each day (estimated) this developement will bring us, let us see if once it is built if the city asks for a bond to pay for new roads, traffic lights etc...

Government at many levels has lost sight of who they need to serve, they cannot lead, thay are corrupt. At least we got 5000 signatures to put the skycraper project on the ballot (overriding the city councils vote) The developer is spending huge bucks on advertising, and city council members are mail ads for it, but hopefully it will not pass.

Government SUCKS.

Gawd, you got me going here.
Root_Werks
A few years back, WA had car taxes on tabs reflective of the year/value of the car. So most new cars were $250-500 anually for tabs. Then an init. passed making all tabs $30. Since I owned all old rusty cars. biggrin.gif All my tabs went up! I use to pay like $24 a year, now it is like $85 a year. Go figure. At least for now, we don't have to worry so much about the smog law things like CA does. But give it another 20 years. <_<
lapuwali
$50 per car per year is hardly out of line. It's not much more than most states charge (indeed, I recall paying more in Missouri when I lived there 10 years ago, and that ignores 10 years of inflation). The license fees pay for a good number of things, not just paying for the actual license itself. This is commonly done in a great many states. Yes, it's a tax, but not a particularly burdensome one for most people. Owning 10 cars you keep licensed and insured and then complaining about $50 ea. per year for the license (what does the insurance run?) puts you pretty far out of the mainstream. Whether you like it or not, taxes are a necessary evil. If you want to opt out of all of the services paid for by those taxes, I suggest you go buy an island and live on it.

I'm not even going to go into all that other irrelevant stuff, nor am I going to try to explain how bonds work.
dmenche914
Collector car insurance right now is running about $70-80 per year per car for me, so the car tax is still a big bite comparable with the insurance rate.

What is bad is part of the "fee' is not tax deducatble.

The state just wastes money, and takes it any way possible from citizens.

The biggest gripe is the smog testing, the costs envolved, and days wasted getting it done. Real pain in the ass. Lucky most of my cars are old enough to be exempt (maybe not for long) If they go ahead and start requiring smog tests on the classics, test every two years, i can look forward to having to get a smog test a little more often then every three months, boy, that will be lots of fun.

maybe you are rich, but $500 is $500 and that's a lot of money to me. It is even worse when you know the money is wasted by the state with big fat giveaways to nonproductive bums, illegals, funding of crazy laws, rich pension schemes for state employees, and buracratic waste.

Five trips to either DMV or the CHP to get one of my cars registered for the first time, waiting in lines, easy three productive days of my life wasted so I could get a stupid tag on my car. (lucky this car was old enough to not require smog) (and pay those dumb assed DMV employees)

Anyone who thinks I should put up with this crap is out of their bleeping head.

This crap hurts productivity, takes money from me that i would have otherwised spent on 914 parts. (are the parts vendors listening? they should care, for if taxes get so high, We can no longer patronize them, then they go out of bussiness.)

Your arguemnt that i shouldn't complain about $50, cause my insurance is more is not very good, hell If it does not bother you, I will gladly have you pay my registratin fees, seeing as you think $50 is no big deal.

Taxes are like death by a thousand strings, a little here, and little there.

i would sure love to have you explain to me "how bonds work" I am so dumb I do not get it, i thought that bonds were basically taxation without representation. There is no way that taxpayers that are not even born yet should have to pay a bond back that was voted on thirty years before. Talk about screwing your kids with debt.

The millionaires that are getting taxed are not farly represented either, as people whom will never have to pay that tax are forcing it on them. Kind of like the area wide vote we had to rais ebridge tolls, it passed, but I'd wager those that need to cross the bridge every day voted no. Hell 200 days a year commuting , $1 increase, is $200/year after tax taken from these commuters. They got screwed by "mob rules style democracy" no protection agianst this. Would not be bad if the money was for bridge repairs and such, but the money is for busses, ferrys, and trains, things the bridge commuters do not use, things that are not profit making, not even break even operations.

Be wary of total democracy, for the mob will take the rights of the minority, . The bridge tax should have been voted on only by those that drive the bridges, and pay the tax. (I am not by the way a bridge user, no personnel interst in the bridge tolls other that believng it is unjust, and illegal.

Awaiting enlightenment on bonds!!!!
Red-Beard
QUOTE(Sammy @ Oct 20 2004, 12:39 PM)
Uhhhhh, it isn't the state, it is the tree hugging bleeding heart liberal environmentalist lobbies that are forcing the issue. They spend lots o' money getting certain lawmakers elected so they can pass laws that reflect the special interest's interests.
That is why new cars cost so much, why smog laws cost so much, why gasoline costs so much and why the government always goes after cars.

California has waaaaay too many tree huggers, any other states want some? We'd be glad to send em your way.

No thanks, we've got heat, humidity and fire ants. YOU get to keep the tree huggers.
Mike D.
Money Problems, how about illegal imigration? What's that cost?

American Hotrod is a Bull shit show, that is scripted. Yes, they build cars, but the "conflict" is BS. Can't believe the show is still on.

-Mike D.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Oct 20 2004, 04:38 PM)
American Hotrod is a Bull shit show, that is scripted. Yes, they build cars, but the "conflict" is BS. Can't believe the show is still on.

-Mike D.

agree.gif its so BS....

i'd fuck up bluebear the second he opened his fat face
Andyrew
We tivo it and fast forward through the bs...

Same with monster garage...
Dave Bell
Follow the money or follow the power

It might be the state, it is a crappy law for collectors that put so few miles on the road, but hey, when the state is in a pinch they will try to get money any where... even if they have to harass car collectors.

or... It might be some politician or DA or someone trying to make a name for himself so he can go up a rung on his political ladder... why else would you pick high profile person to go after first.

Is there some break point, i.e. in number of cars, at which it is more advantageous to be car dealer than a car owner?

One of my co-workers, recently past away, had 200-300 cars out in Palmdale, maybe 20-30 that were driveable?? the rest for future sale or parts. And he used to bring cars on and off insurance as he drove them into work some how.... someone else must have done this here in CA.

- Dave... just thinking out loud
Joe Bob
Morgester....I used to work with that maroons Dad. Seems like they are both wackos....
fiid
QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 20 2004, 08:57 AM)
Way to Go CA !

Another liberal wacko solution to a insignificant problem. huh.gif

GOOD JOB smilie_pokal.gif

You can boil the whole problem down to being caused by "Liberals."?????????
That's like saying "All car problems are caused by vacuum leaks."

You may have a reasoned argument behind this statement, but without elaborating - this just looks simplistic, and is almost certainly wrong.
MattR
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 20 2004, 03:42 PM)
i'd fuck up bluebear the second he opened his fat face

edit: you would TRY to fuck up bluebear the second he opened his fat face.

He's a big mofo. Its like punching a tree. Dude, I got a great idea: Mikey from American Choppers versus Bluebear from AHR. Paid per view, of course. LOL.

Does it bother anyone else that boyd so obviously dyes his beard? He probably owns stock in the "just for men" dye company or something...
boxstr
When I move to Calif. I guess I will just leave my hot rods in Oreogn and come up and visit them every so often, rather than subject them to the tree huggers in Calif.
CCLINHOTRODSFROMHELL
Jake Raby
Damn, more and more I think that state needs to be evacuated, all those Nazi bastards sent to Irag, then broken away from the other continental as an island!

Jesus, I don't think the SS was that bad....

Glad I'm on the right coast, as a non conformist...sheesh..
MattR
yeah, but we dont get rusty cars <_<

I cant wait for this state to fuck up to the max and there be NO money or business left and the union to put up a big ass wall to seperate Mexifornia from the other 49 states.
Red-Beard
WHAT makes you think Mexico would want California?
dmenche914
Mexico want california???? Hell they have invaded it, and we have done nothing to stop it. Get knocked up in Mexico, sneak acroos the boarder, show up in a L.A. emergency room, I get to pay for the birth at the hospital, and the little kid is an instant US citizen cause he/she is born on US soil, all this on my dime! I am also forced to educate the illegal, cannot turn them down.

Even in North California, most every thing now is in Mexican. In the last several years most products I buy have english, and mexican writting, Food packages, paint, cleaners, anything you buy with instructions UGH!!! The print is so small it is now hard to read, it is not effiecent, and is wasteful to have more than one language in public life. They want ballots, and road signs in mexican now. They want to be granted drivers licence, collect social security, and we just look the other way. They are even legal to vote in some local elections, yeah, illegals voting.
The mexican prez wants an open boarder, and has gotten envolved heavy in california politics. He wants to have mexican polling places in California so mexicans living here can vote in mexican election, and he is pressing for more concessions. We no longer have a boarder, it is a joke.
about half the violent prisoners in some california jails are mexican citizens. I pay to house them

i say round them all up (from any nation) and send all the illegals home. I am ok with controlled legal boarder crossing, I do not want my society destroyed, i have no problem with mexican society, or most other peaceful societies, however our societies are different, and mine is being diluted. note that Americans in mexico have very little rights, cannot own land, and pretty much must learn mexican in order to communicate. One language is the very important so a cohesive society, we have lost that, the illegals tax out states resources, how many citizens are harmed when several emergency rooms had to shut down, because of the un-reimbuirsed illegal alien service, which the state mandates thay must provide.

it is a big problem, and it will have negitive effects for decades to come. it is ruining our nation, but i guess thats what we want (or at least the politicians, as public opinion polls indicate most citizens want boarder enforcement). too bad

No problem with mexicans as a people I have mexican freinds that are legal, or citizens, speaking mexican in mexico is no problem , but I resent they are making such big, and bad changes, and doing it illegally.

i go to jail if i illegally take someones $100 property, it is called theft. An illegal sneaks into my nation, seeks medical care, and education, all with thousands of my hard earned tax dollars, and instead of thowing them in jail, or deporting them, the person that complains (Me!) is labled not politically correct, or racist or some other crap. Hell it is bad to defend ones own culture these days, as long as the culture you are defending is American. we are warped. History repeats, Neo fiddled while rome burned!
MattR
Mecha (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán). Its a group that wants to make California Mexican territory again. I see the banners on campus all the time. Cruz Bustamonte (ran against Arnold for gov of CA) was a senior member when he was in college...
Red-Beard
QUOTE(MattR @ Oct 20 2004, 06:32 PM)
Mecha (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán).  Its a group that wants to make California Mexican territory again.  I see the banners on campus all the time.  Cruz Bustamonte (ran against Arnold for gov of CA) was a senior member when he was in college...

Would they really take it back? I mean, we would have to pay them to take California? Hmmm. I think even throwing in a couple of Billion would be worth it. idea.gif

Whadda ya think, guys?
dmenche914
i heard an interesting idea many years ago (15-20 yrs)
at that time unemployment was a issue in the USA, also at that time Canada had a much smaller population than they have now.
The idea was for the USA to buy Canada! We would pay every Canadian a million bucks, they would still live in their homes, and own their own land, but the nation would be ours. The other important requirment was that the Canadian all stop working (why work with a million bucks?, and that is 1980 circa million bucks) Then all the un-employed Americans would move up to Canada, and take the jobs the Canadians left, thus assuring products and services for the millionaire Canadians, and solve our un-employment problem, all at once.
true it would cost trillions to buy out Canada, however at the time this was suggest, it would only double the present national debt (which today seemed very small)
I thought it a very clever idea.
fiid
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 20 2004, 04:53 PM)
Damn, more and more I think that state needs to be evacuated, all those Nazi bastards sent to Irag, then broken away from the other continental as an island!

Jesus, I don't think the SS was that bad....

Glad I'm on the right coast, as a non conformist...sheesh..

Yeah. Comparing to Californians to Nazis is not cool. The Nazis were involved in Genocide - not enforcing an existing law - it is not comparable. Taxes/restrictions on old/new/rusty/fibreglass cars is simply not the same as nearly killing off an entire race of people. 9/11 was not even close to the magnitude of the holocaust. Please have a little respect.
MattR
I think this thread is getting too political. What do they say? "914s and politics dont mix"?

Lets keep it on topic... so who here thinks we should call bluebear and give him aaron's address?
dmenche914
i agree the nazi's were horrible at best, and that the mess in california does not even begin to compare in the smallest amount to what the nazi's ended up doing. I have deep respect for all that fought and died while stoppig the nazi's, and I am very respectful of the dead, never again.

However, the nazi's started small, and did not begin whole scale killing until they had seized near total power in germany. To sieze power they did many things, some small, some big. they controlled the wealth of the nation by taking property, In fact the VW plant in Wolfsburg was on land taken from a weathly german by order of hitler, your see hilter was a socilaist, and VW was a state run company. nazi's indoctrinated the schools, so the kids would grow up as Nazi drones for hitler.

They had thought police, and took control of the press.

They had to collect all the guns first, they did it as it made it easy for the storm troopers to haul away jews and others. Of course the Nazi's didn't just take the guns one day, they had to start with registration then they took them.

California would never ever ever do anything like that, never honest, ever. Just like a a highly cultured, european democracy would never let the nazi's take over....Opps!

(yeah right)
Jake Raby
Damn dude- ever heard of an exaggeration or figure of speech?? Chill out.

And if those stupid damn laws were never made, they wouldn't need enforcing- now would they??

All I know is that building a street rod isn't killing anyone, or raping anyone- why waste all that time when you could be hunting down murders, rapists and drug dealers???

Its just plain dumb.... I lived in that screwed up state, and got the hell out as soon as possible.
MattR
QUOTE(MattR @ Oct 20 2004, 07:31 PM)
I think this thread is getting too political.  What do they say?  "914s and politics dont mix"?

Lets keep it on topic... so who here thinks we should call bluebear and give him aaron's address?

agree.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(MattR @ Oct 20 2004, 08:38 PM)
QUOTE(MattR @ Oct 20 2004, 07:31 PM)
I think this thread is getting too political.  What do they say?  "914s and politics dont mix"?

agree.gif tm

to quote matt, who for some reason quoted himself,

i too agree agree.gif

so...bluebear....i got your number right here! alfred.gif
GWN7
$10 on Aaron
Brett W
Cops suck, again my point is made. They have nothing better to do than harass some what decent people. IN the meantime some illegal was crossing the border to vote or shoot out a kid, some drug deal was giong down, some kiddie porn was trading hands, etc. All this so some pigs and their boss can go out and harass people.
Rich Bontempi
I'm with you Dave, I normally vote against most bond issues. As a small business owner, I'm getting taxed and regulated to death!
rick 918-S
I had an experience like that here in MN. several years ago now. I transfered the title on my 914. I didn't purchase the plates as the car was not yet running. about a month later I received a letter stating there was a problem with my title. Based on the information the state had my vin didn't match the vehicles purchase value.

Like, WTF! I disclosed the original purchase price $ 1500.00! WTF do they think a 914 is worth. (1990)

I called the state DMV and spoke with "the man". He was babbling on and saying based on my vin they put the value of my car considerably higher that what I stated I paid for the car. This dude wanted me to pay sales tax on the projected value of the car not the actual cost.

I advised him that I needed to work on the car some before it would run. He then wanted all the receipts as if I built the car from a shell. He stated then based on their inspection they would place a value on the vehicle and I would owe the tax as they deemed.

I went on the explain to this jerk that just because I got a good deal on a car purchase doesn't mean I need to pay a projected sales tax. I asked this butt if he went into a dept store and purchased an item with a 50% discount would he owe the sales tax on the full price? I explained that they would collect a sales tax on the improved vehicle when I sell it.

In ending my call i informed this dip shit that he had what I refer to a situation power. He can place any vaue he chooses on my car and charge the tax accordingly. I suggested he do one of two things.

Calculate he perception of the value of my car (in his words $ 10,000.00!) and send me a tax bill so I can now get my plates.

Or send me the title so I can purchase the plates and drive the car.

But I warned him that if he sent me a bill my next call was going to be to the attorney general. See our attorney general had just done an extensive radio commercial warning the elderly about scammers.

The commercial warned about unscrupulious induviduals attempting to extort money from you!

Two days later I received my title!
boxstr
After reading the article again, it appears the only people that have anything to fear are the ones driving around in glass rods. I have never been able to understand when the judging at a car show is completed the announcer says "and the winner is Vodoo Bob and his 32 Ford", that is a Westcott fiberglass body and every other component on the car came out of a catalog. Since when did that car become a Ford. When did that car pass through the Ford factory. And this guy is competing in the same class as my 31 Ford steel body car that came from the FORD factory in 1931. Its a fucking kit car. Put it in a kit car class with the other fiberglass kit cars.
CCLINHOTRODVODDOO
fiid
agree.gif also. I thought we decided on no politics.

For the record... I don't think it's particularly useful that these kinds of laws are getting enforced. I don't agree with quite a lot of laws, in fact, but I don't spout extremist crap as a result. It's just a fact of life.
Mueller
Put it in a kit car class with the other fiberglass kit cars.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
anthony
Even if a '32 Ford hot rod has a metal body, I thought most of them are being built on new frames with new bodies?
boxstr
Both of these came from the Ford factory. One a 1929 and the other a 1931. Same frame they came from the factory with.
However what you will find is that a number of the framems may be modifified or "boxed" to keep the frame from twisting when a high horsepower motor, and heavier motor and trans are installed in the car.
Kidn of like the reinforment plates that are welded into the 914.
CCLINNOKITCARS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.