Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: air tube?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
I've seen reference to the "air tube" in other posts, it runs from the door jamb to I'm not sure where. So first question is, what is its purpose, and what are its connections? What years had these air tubes?

The reason for my confusion is that on my 71, there are these "air tubes" that start in the door jamb, but then just end shortly after that where they butt up to the inner fender wall. Both fenders on each side have been replaced (poorly), and I think that these air tubes might have come along with them possibly from a later model. It seems as though the air tube should have a matching hole in the door, but maybe I don't understand its purpose. Can someone please clarify them for me?

Thanks,

Chris
bondo
They vent the cabin through a hole just behind the door, under the rear window, directly under the upper seat belt mount on the targa bar. It's at about armpit level when sitting in the car. That whole area is a rust nightmare, and it's hard to repair because of a brazed joint. I had thought all years had them, but I could be wrong. You may need to remove the side rollbar trim to see the hole. I'd think that blocking off the holes would be ok, considering these cars don't seal that well anyways.. You might find slightly less defroster performance, or less heat flow if there's no exit for the cabin air.
SirAndy
yes, all cars had them. it's a vent. if you pump air into your car (heater, fresh air) the "old" air has to go somewhere. the vents ensure the air will circulate. they should have a small round black plastic cover with a filter in the door-jamb outlet.

the green arrow shows the outlet in the door jamb,
there's a similar hole (but oval) on the inside of the car ...

cool.gif Andy
tbil
Note that the felt plug that attaches to the black plastic cover holds water. Each time you wash or drive in the rain, it holds water against the body, at least on my car. Rust! I pull these and let them air dry, today in So. Cal. as it's dumping on my poor little daily driver.
bondo
If I remember right the early cars don't have the plastic grille and felt. Not much harm in leaving it out, just looks and maybe wind noise.
hargray2
my '71 and '72 both have the black plastic covers. I do agree that this place loves to rust.
type11969
Last night I found the other end of the air tube in the cabin, PO sealed it up with sheet metal and a bunch of screws . . . Along with the crap repairs on the fenders, should be real interesting to see what all he did when I pull the current fenders to replace them.

Pics will follow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.