Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help my 914 cuts out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave Schiel
I have a 74 914 1.8 with Factory FI when I am driving the car will shut off for a second or 2, if I am driving it will kick back in, if I am sitting at a light sometimes it starts right up sometimes I have to crank it for upto 45 seconds (a long time when someone is honking) I have replaced the ignition switch ( the problem started prior to the replacement and continued after, bought a new switch from pelican parts). The fuel pump was replaced with a used one about a year ago with no problems and the vehicle has an aftermarket electronic Ignition. I have found no loose wires to date. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
benalishhero
Maybe look at the duel relay and connection confused24.gif
Dave Schiel
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Jul 12 2012, 10:41 AM) *

I am not sure what that is
Rand
It has to be spark or fuel... When dead and cranking, do you hear the fuel pump running?

Easy way to check spark is to pull a plug wire, stick a spare plug in it, and ground the threads to the case while cranking. You can see if it is sparking. Trouble is catching it right at that time of failure and having time to check before it fires again! How often does it do this? Good luck.
benalishhero
QUOTE(Dave Schiel @ Jul 12 2012, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(benalishhero @ Jul 12 2012, 10:41 AM) *

I am not sure what that is

The duel relay runs the FI and fuel pump. I've seen the female prongs in the connector back out resulting in a poor connection.
Spoke
When it dies while running, what does the tach do? Does it stay with the speed of the engine or drop to zero?

Sounds like an electrical problem somewhere.
SirAndy
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Jul 12 2012, 02:26 PM) *
The duel relay runs the FI and fuel pump. I've seen the female prongs in the connector back out resulting in a poor connection.

agree.gif

If i'm not mistaken, it's next to the battery tray ...
idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.