Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 dilema
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
303racing
I have an opportunity to buy a 1970 914/6 1 owner that has been sitting indoors for the last at least 10-12 years. It is in my garage right now but no money has exchanged hands. I`ve restored a `72 914 and a `88 911 so I have a pretty good idea of what I`m looking at. It needs quite a few things but mostly detail and clean up. Of course tires, engine comp. test, leakdown, fuel system reconition, carb rebuild, brakes. Lots of work, but I can do it all but the carbs, Does anybody have experience with Terry Beiker? Heard he`s the weber guru. Anyone have their`s done by him and can give me a ball park price? I know it`s a hard question to ask but these have had old fuel in them for years and don`t know about the shafts. This is a Ca. absolutelly rust free car, no dents. Optional silver and the optional 15" 5 lug Fuchs. Prod # 547. Now for the $64 question - the family wants 15k, I can easily see 4k in repair and that`s assuming the engine is good. Never raced, 110k miles. Love to do this car but 15k seems a bit much. I`m thinking 8-10k. These people know nothing about cars and don`t really want it. Chime in with your opinions! Will post some pics this weekend
SirAndy
QUOTE(303racing @ Jul 12 2012, 07:24 PM) *
Now for the $64 question - the family wants 15k, I can easily see 4k in repair and that`s assuming the engine is good. Never raced, 110k miles. Love to do this car but 15k seems a bit much. I`m thinking 8-10k. These people know nothing about cars and don`t really want it. Chime in with your opinions! Will post some pics this weekend

$15k sounds about right from your description. Really nice ones go north of $40k these days ...
popcorn[1].gif

PS: welcome.png
tscrihfield
Do you have photo? 15k is not unheard of these days for a real -6 in decent shape. If it is a few days of work to be drivable. That is probably about right for price. I seen a rusted out -6 go for 7k not long ago. These things are going up in price seems each day. But what one asks and what one will pay always has to be considered. It doesn't matter what people say things are worth, doesnt mean people will pay that.

My $.02
Thomas
mepstein
If it's a real six, 15 is a steal!!! You could probably turn it around for double with a quick fix up. Good luck.
krazykonrad
You can always see if they'll bite on a lower offer, but $15k for an original 6 is a deal. You could part it out and at least get your money back for it, if not significantly more. (not suggesting you do this, just that $15k is a good investment)

My $.02

Konrad
tod914
If it is truely rust free, worst end case you make some money on it.
laflaur
numbers match?
if so pull the trigger
If not
pull the trigger
scotty b
QUOTE(303racing @ Jul 12 2012, 06:24 PM) *

This is a Ca. absolutelly rust free car, no dents.

no such thing, but a good price nonetheless. Buy it biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
I have to agree with Scotty on that - the only rust free six I have ever seen is one that has been restored already. Regardless, a CA car is going to have a lot less rust than an east coast car. $15K is a great price even if it is not a numbers matching car so long as the body is fair and all the VIN's are there.

Please post up some pictures- we all love pictures.
toolguy
15 is a give away price for an 043 Six . especially if all the parts are there. . . I'm in San Diego and I have a friend in town that does nothing but rebuild Weber 3c's. . great guy and good work. . . good prices. .and he hot runs all his work so you know they will run right out of the box. .
Bieker is on the internet. . he does Weber machining and rebuild rebush and bore outs. . I have a pair he did and they are fine but once they are bored out, you have to match up a set of manifolds. . not cheap
pete000
Deal of the century, exchange money and keep it in your garage !
Mr.242
Echo Echo Echo...good deal. I'd be ready to go higher if you are in negotiations. I paid slightly more 4 years ago and I'm very happy with what I purchased.

I think you will be too!
Bullethead
QUOTE(303racing @ Jul 12 2012, 10:24 PM) *

These people know nothing about cars and don`t really want it. Chime in with your opinions!

Chiming in.... you should send me the contact info. Now. rolleyes.gif
sixnotfour
Harry Beiker is the weber guru, He is up in Grants Pass , Oregon now and is retired but still does carbs, I havent delt with him in a few years,
I would go with Toolguys source being its local.

this guy is in Chico;
http://performanceoriented.com/index.htm

15k let me know if you pass on it.
303racing
Thanks for your input guys. It is numbers matching. Again, the car doesn`t run and hasn`t for years so it`s going to need to be completely gone through. There is a little more to the story, the owners wife is in charge wants it to run, husband is kind of nickel dime kind of guy and would question everything I did if I were to not buy it and restore it for them. Those of you who are prof. mechanics know exactly what I mean. At this point I don`t have the 15k but I am taking it down to Hergershiemer in Lake Forest for a PPI and let Mark tell them how much more it will cost to get it road worthy. I know they aren`t aware of the costs to own and maintain an older Porsche. I want this car - BAD. Kinda want them to drop the price some and maybe I can pick it up. I`ll let you know how it works out. I`m willing to sell offf my CRG kart rig comlpete including a new 5k Vortex Super Rok engine, trailer,etc,etc to do this. That`s a tough one cause I love that sport also. Heck, maybe I`ll morgate my house. Divorce soon to follow.
sixnotfour
Your facts are true, But, i think its worth more ASIS in my opinion.
Dollars spent to make it run and drive are not 100% a return.
Parts cost sure, but labor rates ????

Good Luck , we all want a deal.

carr914
Wait a Sec - You don't have the $15k, but the car is in your garage?

If as described,the car is a Deal. Don't argue over the price, but get your Butt in gear and get some $$$ together

Harry Beiker is who I've dealt with on Carbs
brant
The weber price really depends on how much work needs to be done
a simple rebuild is something you could do yourself

a full re bushing is around 1500

brant
Rusty
Does anybody have experience with Terry Beiker?

Beiker Engineering in Oregon?

He's old school awesome. He'll make those carbs look like jewelry.
sean_v8_914
every 914 I ever bought is rust free. I never pay for the rust
sean_v8_914
...i mean free rust
Rav914
Sweet deal. This will be a steal in a few years.

Green with envy up here in WA. Good luck!
RON S.

Unless something really drastic happens, the fair market value of all 043 -6's is only going to go up. This has been going on gradually for over a decade now.

That also means that the bottom floor for gaining entry into this realm is also going up year after year.

The price of entry for me and my rust bucket I bought back in '98 was 2k. At the time I thought it was a iffy deal because of the sad sad shape the car was in at the time, when a decent -6 7-10k. I bought it only because of the serial#. 3300 cars in a production run makes it rare. At that time a decent 914/4 could be had for 1-2k. 914/6's quit depreciating in the 90's.

I kept at it, only to watch the pricing escalate over the years. Watching it climb from 8k to 12k to 15k, and now seeing nice -6's in the high 20's and 30's plus.
I'd speculate that 15-20 years from now you could see god 914/6's in the 50-70k range.
I know that all the effort and $$$ I've put into mine over the last 14yrs will at least allow me to break ever if I was to ever sell it now.
15k for what sounds like a good car is very reasonable. There isn't much that can go wrong. Some pics would have been helpful with the post.
Good Luck,

Ron
carr914
QUOTE(RON S. @ Jul 13 2012, 02:58 PM) *

I'd speculate that 15-20 years from now you could see good 914/6's in the 50-70k range.

Ron

They are already there
eric9144
Unless there's something horrifically wrong with it, you'd be a fool to pass...
gandalf_025
I wouldn't sell mine for that price and it is all apart in my garage
Buy it you will Never regret it..Sixer's have Great upside potential..Now a day 15k is very reasonable..Good Luck..
sbsix
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jul 13 2012, 08:50 AM) *

It would depend if you are thinking of it as an investment to turn over for more $$ in the future, after putting in a few thousand more dollars and assuming the engine is usable, or buying it to fix up a bit and enjoy a great driving experience.

$15K is a very good price either way, but only if the engine functions and doesn't need major work. The Weber carbs can be rebuilt fairly easily with anyone having mechanical skills or done professionally, as needed. Obtaining certain original parts can be problematic for the six, but I'm sure you realize that.

A no rust/no dent 914-6 is a rarity these days at this price range. I've owned my six for nearly 20 years and still love driving it. Make sure you get the engine to run and have the compression & leakdown tests done by someone qualified. With a good engine with good compression and leakdown numbers, $15K is a good price. If you can get it for less, you would be a hero!

Good luck.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(sbsix @ Jul 13 2012, 02:44 PM) *

It would depend if you are thinking of it as an investment to turn over for more $$ in the future, after putting in a few thousand more dollars and assuming the engine is usable, or buying it to fix up a bit and enjoy a great driving experience.

$15K is a very good price either way, but only if the engine functions and doesn't need major work. The Weber carbs can be rebuilt fairly easily with anyone having mechanical skills or done professionally, as needed. Obtaining certain original parts can be problematic for the six, but I'm sure you realize that.

A no rust/no dent 914-6 is a rarity these days at this price range. I've owned my six for nearly 20 years and still love driving it. Make sure you get the engine to run and have the compression & leakdown tests done by someone qualified. With a good engine with good compression and leakdown numbers, $15K is a good price. If you can get it for less, you would be a hero!

Good luck.

Waaaay too much money.
Please provide contact info of seller

303racing
QUOTE(sbsix @ Jul 13 2012, 03:44 PM) *

Good luck.

Spent all day detailing, turned out great. Not going to do anything until I get a commitment from them to sell it. There is one guy holding it up. Did soak the cylinders last night, plugs looked great. will get under and see how she spins by hand. I`ll send some pics this weekend.
303racing
Screwed up on my reply, staying up all night and day cleaning the car non stop will do it. Anyway, waiting on one guy to commit so keep your fingers crossed. This has been a pain dealing with non car people - they have no concept. Money is there, hope this guy doesn`t burn me. I will turn the engine by hand tomorrow to see how she moves, plugs look great. after that no more work until I get an answer. Probably added 1k today just cleaning it up today! Pics this weekend.
moparrob
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 13 2012, 12:03 AM) *

I agree completely. Paul at performance oriented did an excellent job on my 40IDA Webers as well, then bench runs them on a test engine to get them dialed in. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

IPB Image

IPB Image
MikeSpraggi
$15k? Drink the Kool Aid and never look back ......
914Sixer
WHAT are you waiting on???? JUST DO IT!!!!
Cracker
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 14 2012, 09:33 PM) *

WHAT are you waiting on???? JUST DO IT!!!!

Sounds like he will but it's not his call.

Heck, I'm not even a fan of an original 6 and I would encourage you to do it for nothing more than investment/flip sake. If you can use
and appreciate the car in addition to that it's just icing on the cake!

Best of luck on the deal - I hope they come through for you! beerchug.gif
303racing
Got it - original owner came over, 88 yrs. young drives an audi tt. We worked out a deal and he wanted the car to go to someone who won`t screw it up. The 2 day detail didn`t hurt either. The hard part now is I do own him some money so he`s holding the pink, which is a smart idea. It is in my garage though!! It`s going to take some time to get it on the road but that`s what projects are for! I`m stoked. Need to sell that kart asap. Get some pics up tomorow.
smj
QUOTE(303racing @ Jul 14 2012, 07:58 PM) *

Got it - original owner came over, ... It is in my garage though!! It`s going to take some time to get it on the road but that`s what projects are for! I`m stoked. Need to sell that kart asap. Get some pics up tomorow.

Woo hoo! Congrats!! smilie_pokal.gif
Cracker
I'm really happy for you - congratulations!

I too will look forward to seeing this 41 year old 1 owner 14.

Cracker
billh1963
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
carr914
agree.gif
trojanhorsepower
Awesome!
303racing
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 15 2012, 04:07 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Today!!!!! Back brakes are locked up so I have to recruit some neighborhood kids and my floor jack to get it in the sun for pics. Pulled the e-brake and blammo - no more movement, may pull the wheels and give the calipers a soft tap. Either way you`ll get `em.
Cairo94507
Congratulations! Very exciting purchase and can't way to see pictures. Hey, don't smack those rear calipers too hard....they are valuable biggrin.gif
Mr.242
Congrats...now gets some pics posted of this addiction.
DEC
You make the correct decision smilie_pokal.gif
303racing
Finally some pics. Notice wrong paint on hood - he gave the right paint code but the knucklehead used some chev. color. Paint last on list. Have a few more but you get the idea. Now all I need is the $$ to start fixinng the mechanicals!
billh1963
I am jealous...congratulations! aktion035.gif coolpics.gif
Mr.242
And you hesitated..... lol-2.gif

Nice ride. You will have lots of fun with this clean up and driver. aktion035.gif
markb
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 15 2012, 10:12 AM) *

agree.gif

Love the wood on the dash, and I've never seen the wood on the top of the door panels before. Was that also an aftermarket add?

Congrats!

914's are an addiction, there is no cure.

Enjoy!!!!
303racing
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 15 2012, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 15 2012, 10:12 AM) *

agree.gif

Love the wood on the dash, and I've never seen the wood on the top of the door panels before. Was that also an aftermarket add?

Congrats!

914's are an addiction, there is no cure.

Enjoy!!!!

I understand back in the day there was a kit offred, walnut, that you could install. Kinda faded away though. I may pulll it off, Pelican offfers the original dash matting. Doors look cool although they came with the kit I believe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.