Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing door hinge pins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Hey all,
Does anyone have any suggestions other than PB Blaster, heat and a BFH for removing door hinge pins? I wondered why I could never get my door to line up right until I pulled it off yesterday to replace the pins. Got the bottom out with a punch and hammer fairly easily. However I tried the same process with the top, only to find out that the pin has snapped off in the door at some point long ago. I got the "head" half of the pin out, but the other end is rusted/seized in. I have been soaking it for almost 24 hours in PB Blaster, and already had tried heat yesterday. I'm going to give it one more shot tonight, and will post a picture of the broken pin (NEVER seen that happen before and not sure how it even could!) In the meantime, does anyone have any other bright ideas? Yes, I know about the VW tool made for this, but I don't have access to one and it wouldn't work anyway since the head is gone!

FYI, scratching the paint is not an issue, thats something I'm going to tackle at a later point anyway.
Mike Bellis
Heat and an air hammer....
mepstein
A press.
bozo914
Heat and penetrating oil, repeat 2 or 3 times. You might try the acetone/ATF mix, but beware it will burn, as will most of them.

*Penetrating oil .......... Average load*
None ........................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ............... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix...............53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic
transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better
than any commercial product in this one particular test.
wndsnd
Why take the pins out, just unbolt....
ThePaintedMan
A press is a great idea, but I don't think I can fit one in that tight space. Its hard to explain, but if you look at your car, you'll see the top of the pin is somewhat occluded by the upper edge of the door.

I could try an air hammer if I can get my hands on one with a pointy attachment.

The ATF/Acetone mix sounds awesome! I consider myself to be pretty "up" on my chemistry, but I'm not sure what the significance is in the mix that allows it to penetrate so well. I'll look into it.

The whole door is already off. Can't simply remove the hinge because the pin is stuck in the portion that is steel-riveted to the door. I have no idea how someone would replace that portion of the hinge anyhow, nor do I know how the factory attached them in the first place.

windforfun
My car's pins have a 0.25" gap between the pinhead & the hinge. FYI.
sixnotfour
factory style tool=slide hammer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-930-99...1e8&vxp=mtr
ThePaintedMan
Ugh... nevermind. I wasn't making much sense I guess. Like I said, I had gotten the head part of the pin out, thinking it had broken in half. Instead it broke in TWO difference places, making three parts. I have no earthly idea how that can happen to hardened steel, but I'll post pics in a little bit detailing how I got it out. I hope this never happens to any of you.
windforfun
Maybe it's not a stock pin. Are you sure it's steel?
rhodyguy
george, just get a different door. REALLY. someone within 60 miles MUST have one. offer to meet half way, buy the gas and breakfast.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.