Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat Belt Spring How to oil?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
Seat belts do not retract very good
Anyone know how to get to the area to oil them?
Do you have to remove the stuff behind the seats?
Thanks
skaufmann
If you haven't already, be certain the issue isn't with the seatbelt fabric stiff and dried up. So far all issues I've heard of (including me) are about the fabric not pliable so the spring loaded coil is no longer strong enough to retract. I've taken mine out (take seat backbad off) and lubricated with no help.

I've heard some people use 944 seat belts but there may be an issue with the receiver not fitting. I got what I was told were 944 seat belts at a 914 swap meet last year but they fit my existing receivers so I'm thinking they were 914s.
davesprinkle
Adjust the wire loop so that the belt feeds straight into the spool without contacting the sides of the spool. You can do this by loosening the mounting bolt and readjusting. Easy.
PRS914-6
DO NOT LUBE THEM!!! It is a magnet for dirt and the mechanism can fail when it's needed. They need to be clean and dry and lube doesn't help anyway because the springs are tired.

You can tighten the springs if your waist size is not too large and your webbing not too stiff. If you attempt tightening, understand the danger and wear safety gear as you can get severely hurt if the spring flies out.
76-914
Pull your seatbelt out all of the way to be sure it hasn't turned over on itself. This alone adds the equivalent of one extra wrap. Also polish the CP guide/strap that it goes thru. Los of drag here. Finally if it still is slow then you need to take it apart, clean and maybe add one or two revolutions of tightening to the spring. I'd do it for you but tooooooooooo much liability. Like trolling for lawyers. happy11.gif
914Sixer
This will sound silly but pull the belts all the way out to the end, use clothes pin or what ever to keep them from retracting and wash them. You will be amazed at the color of the water when you are done. This may take several attempts. Let them dry completely. The next day treat them with ScotchGard for fabrics. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN SEATBELT !!! The coil spring can hurt you when it explodes ! You might try a little silicon spray used sparingly around ratchet drive, it do not attract dirt readily.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.