Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One owner 1973 2.0 Alaska Blue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hot_shoe914
Details and photos coming Saturday. This car will be going up for sale most likely. Stay tuned.

Shoe
piratenanner.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 18 2012, 05:00 PM) *

Details and photos coming Saturday. This car will be going up for sale most likely. Stay tuned.

Shoe
piratenanner.gif

Teasing is not nice dry.gif ...we need more details NOW! Especially if you are going to sell!
type47
Click to view attachment
Now!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 18 2012, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 18 2012, 05:00 PM) *

Shoe
piratenanner.gif

Teasing is not nice dry.gif ...we need more details NOW! Especially if you are going to sell!

I kind of thought you might be the first to respond. I was notified of a one owner six for sale so I responded immediately.I know my luck isn't that good but made the call anyway. She told me it was her husbands and he bought it new in 73. As suspected, not a six but still a one owner 2.0 that has been covered in a garage for the last 20 years. I will be going to see the car Saturday to take photos and see if I can make it run. I have too many teeners already and will be helping them sell it.
JRust
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 18 2012, 02:12 PM) *

That is flippin awesome
saigon71
Just one more Shoe! biggrin.gif

Seriously, sounds like an awesome find.
porbmw
Those southin' boys sure like to tease.
rnellums
I just got goosebumps.
JRust
I'm going to be the voice of reason. IT's going to be rusted & about to break in half dry.gif . That is more likely than the amazing Barn find. I've had plenty of chances at one owner cars. Or supposedly one owner cars for sale. I have yet to be happy when I saw them sad.gif

Now that I have my voice of reason out of the way. Good luck evilgrin.gif
hot_shoe914
Today is the day! I go this afternoon to check out this car and see what is lurking under the dust. Hopefully it will be a true gem of a find but we shall see. Pictures and details coming today. popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
TargaToy
Are you helping the sellers set the pricing?

Best of luck to you. I've found that discovering a 914, even if totally crappy, is still a pretty fun field trip.
Lennies914
Good luck Shoe!

Today I am going to look at a car that had an engine fire and has been garaged since '83 biggrin.gif
mepstein
agree.gif Most of them were left in the garage for a reason.
hot_shoe914
It was real.....real purdy too! One owner, clean and if I can raise the money, soon to be mine. Anybody want to buy a 100% rust free shell that only needs paint? confused24.gif I need some cash fast!
SirAndy
You went to buy a car but you don't have any money?
confused24.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 21 2012, 04:51 PM) *

You went to buy a car but you don't have any money?
confused24.gif

I went to look at a car, had no intentions of buying. But, a one owner with 38,000 actual miles is very tempting so if I can get my hands on the dough, I will buy it and make it go.

yes, I snagged the vin# for you. slap.gif
hot_shoe914
Here are a few photos of the car. Not as many nor as detailed as I wanted but didn't have time to roll it out of the garage and do it right. Maybe later this week I can get more. confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jonferns
Looks great! What's going on on top of the passenger front wheelwell in the trunk?
SirAndy

It looks to be in pretty nice condition ...
idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Jul 21 2012, 03:38 PM) *

Looks great! What's going on on top of the passenger front wheelwell in the trunk?

Good eye! Looks like bondo around the VIN tag ...
popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
Why and when was it repainted? I'm always suspicious of "low mileage" cars that have been repainted.

popcorn[1].gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 21 2012, 05:40 PM) *

Why and when was it repainted? I'm always suspicious of "low mileage" cars that have been repainted.

popcorn[1].gif

Took a fender bender to the right front fender. Also the hood was replaced due to hail damage. The original hood is included with the car. It is not a perfect car but very solid and all around in really good shape.
sixnotfour
How Much ?? looks pretty nice ,,,
I Also have a Few Bumps and Bruises..for my age
aharder
looks like it has a TEXAS inspection sticker
No wonder it's so Purdy biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
idea.gif beer3.gif idea.gif beer3.gif idea.gif beer3.gif idea.gif confused24.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
billh1963
I really like that car! beer.gif
poorsche914
My first 914 was a '73 2.0 in Alaska Blue Metallic.
Great find, Shoe! piratenanner.gif
scotty b
triple check ALL of those VIN numbers before biting. all that bondo on the wheel well stamp is frightening. They didn't even TRY to hide it was there. If it's all legit, it can be fixed. Looks like a damn nice car otherwise
speed metal army
Looks pretty darn good!Nice find.
scotty b
Also note that the glob 'o bondo doesn't extend very far outsied of the numbers stamping. If it took a fender bender to the point it "needed" mud in the trunk it should be a lot further out than that.

I will also say that the position of the front strut support does indicates a collision that wasn't realigned

" PORSCHE " lens will bring some $$$$
SchwarzHorse
Looks like a heck of a barn-find to me !
I'd buy it if I didn't already have my '73 2.0L 44-Webers

If there's no sacrificial rust-rot in the back-ends of the longs, this car won't be for sale long - watch...

happy11.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 21 2012, 11:39 PM) *

triple check ALL of those VIN numbers before biting. all that bondo on the wheel well stamp is frightening. They didn't even TRY to hide it was there. If it's all legit, it can be fixed. Looks like a damn nice car otherwise

Checked all the vin numbers. It was a little hard to make out but it does match.
Tom_T
While I love that color, I'd advise you not to pay for it as 38k car.

That carpet on the driver's side is worn more like 138k, or possibly 238k of semi-careful use.

Also - assuming it did sit 20 years in the garage - then why would someone in the late 1980's-early90's need to convert from the stock EFI when the parts were still readily available, and on a relatively low mile 38k car??

Likewise, why would a 38k mile car at something less than 20 years old need a full respray in the same original color prior to being put up in that garage?
... probably more time in the sun & miles on the clock than shown.

I think you should price/buy it as a nice project, if the damage Scotty & others have pointed out isn't too bad.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

more of Shoe's find....worthless it appears tho in focus?
Weak batteries or would gotten more....
hot_shoe914
This car is not perfect but it is a really nice solid car and documented 38K miles. Still belongs to the man who bought it new and has been well cared for. Owner is a 30 year PCA member who appears to be a straight up guy. Has everything for the car except the original injection. Has original steering wheel, lenses, tool kit and everything else. Has stainless steel heat exchangers and a 4 tip Monza type exhaust. I will know in a couple of days or so if I am going to be the new owner or not. If I do get it I will just get it running and drive it like I do all my others. She will not receive special treatment anytime soon. beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
Good Luck!
You may like it, and the price may be OK, but I'd run like hell!

Issues issues, issues
Cairo94507
I like the car but like others have expressed, I have my doubts about 38K miles. I guess it depends upon the type of documentation you have which addresses the mileage. That had to be a pretty good hit to damage the inner fender well. Did you pop the rocker cover off to see if the damage extended into the longs?

Personally, I think it is a good car in spite of the damage and that would not scare me off. I know there is a NOS inner fender on eBay right now for around $400 and I would grab that and replace the damaged one. The 38K would not make the car any more attractive than it already is whether it is 38K or 138K or 238K.

Good luck to you and the seller.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 25 2012, 03:01 PM) *

I like the car but like others have expressed, I have my doubts about 38K miles. I guess it depends upon the type of documentation you have which addresses the mileage. That had to be a pretty good hit to damage the inner fender well. Did you pop the rocker cover off to see if the damage extended into the longs?

Personally, I think it is a good car in spite of the damage and that would not scare me off. I know there is a NOS inner fender on eBay right now for around $400 and I would grab that and replace the damaged one. The 38K would not make the car any more attractive than it already is whether it is 38K or 138K or 238K.

agree.gif My car has close to 130k documented miles, and it is in very similar condition from a cleanliness/wear perspective. The carpets are actually better. I think that this car has a lot of potential, but I would not pay a mileage premium. You know what you are doing, so I am just posting my opinion and not trying to give advice. Good luck!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 25 2012, 06:01 PM) *

I also measured the opening of the targa top and it measures the same as the other one I have that has never been hit. Both sides measured within a 1/16 of an inch of each other. Appears the body is not twisted or tweaked. I will make a decision on it by the end of the weekend. confused24.gif
billh1963
We are waiting on that decision...some more than others sunglasses.gif
hot_shoe914
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif shades.gif
hot_shoe914
Decision time......answer in a couple of hours, but first I am taking Christine for a ride. driving.gif
billh1963
You know you've made your decision...you're just teasing us! biggrin.gif
Katmanken
Check the roof alignment with the roll bar, and lift the rubber sealing strip between the front trunk and the gas tank next to the impact area to see if some "hammer work" was coivered up.

hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Katmanken @ Jul 28 2012, 04:28 PM) *

Check the roof alignment with the roll bar, and lift the rubber sealing strip between the front trunk and the gas tank next to the impact area to see if some "hammer work" was coivered up.

I did measure the targa opening, it checked out perfect.
hot_shoe914
It is official, Betsy now belongs to me!
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif
billh1963
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you would get it. Now we need pictures of her out of the garage! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.