Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronics Test to see if it's OK?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I have the flame thrower coil and an Ignitor Pertonics in the distributor. Being the dubber mechanic I am, I didn't have the coil wire attached when I turned the key for the first time after installing the motor. Wellllll after a couple of serious cranks and not starting, I saw the coil wire off...and when putting it on discovered the coil super really hot.

Coil is probably fried but what about the Ignitor in the distributor??? How do I test both to know? chair.gif <<<me

Thanks Bill
jsayre914
funny, i just went through this last night.

To test the pertronics, put a test light in line from the negative side of the coil to ground, then crank the engine over and you should see the test light pulse on and off quick.

if it does not pulse, the pertronics is not doing its job.

Joseph
jsayre914
i just googled how to test a coil, and found this

http://www.international-auto.com/fiat-lan...nition-coil.cfm

or just slap in another one like I did, and if the car starts biggrin.gif
76-914
Pop the cap on the dizzy. You'll smell it if it's fried. Also, if after replacing the coil and there is no spark the I would suspect the Pertronix. Sometimes it is evident just by looking. Any discoloration and it's fried. Finally, search the threads here. Me and a few others have posted "how to check Pertronix" or go to the Petronix website where that is addressed or call their Tech Dep't. Any of those will get you there.
bandjoey
Holy Spark Plug Batman! Just what I was looking for on the Coil.

NOW.....(Logical but not always right)
IF he coil is good or replaced with a new one, then the spark plug will spark IF the distributor is doing it's job. At this point, if no spark still, then the Ignitor Pertronics unit is bad. Yes???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.