Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heads up for Albuquerque Teeners for Shop here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
So I'm in Albuquerque NM for business, etc. right now, and while driving around I see this shop with not one - but three 914s parked in front - and being done with today's appointments etc., I whipped in there - just to see a 4th 914 hiding in back!

I led off with the DA "where's the engine?" - then 'fessed up to being a 38 year 914 owner, & was just pushing his leg! biggrin.gif

I then spent some time chatting with the shop's owner Jay Waterfield - who is currently hinting for a solid roller to do a turbo-rotary conversion, and suggested he get on here & 914club to aid his search & share build details, etc.

Since he's also one of the ever dwindling shops which still work on our 914s & other aircooled relics, I thought I'd post his shop info as an FYI for those of you Teeners who live here, and any others passing through & needing a shop in a pinch.

I don't know much about his work personally, but all 4 914s at the shop were owned by 3 regular customers of his, so that says something.

If anyone else knows more about Jay & his shop, please chime in for the benefit of others.

Dr. J's
Jay Waterfield, owner
4201 San Mateo NE
Albuquerque NM 87110
505-341-4747

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JStroud
That's good to know, my son and Grandkids are in Albuquerque and I hope to drive my 914 there later this year....and you never know.
Thanks for the info

Jeff
Tom_T
QUOTE(jsconst @ Jul 24 2012, 07:17 PM) *

That's good to know, my son and Grandkids are in Albuquerque and I hope to drive my 914 there later this year....and you never know.
Thanks for the info

Jeff

Jeff,

It may be worth a stop for a chat about 914s some afternoon too, if nothing else.
JStroud
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 24 2012, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(jsconst @ Jul 24 2012, 07:17 PM) *

Thanks for the info

Jeff

Jeff,

It may be worth a stop for a chat about 914s some afternoon too, if nothing else.

Were you reading my mind poke.gif was thinking about stopping in while I'm there, hopefully just to chat.
Madswede
I had no idea the shop existed, let alone worked on 914s, but I'm sort of rediscovering Albuquerque.

EDIT: I'm not often in the heights, but I can (and will) make a detour sometime after my 914 is finished. Always good to know other 914 owners!
kerensky
Good resource - every 'teener driver should have a Rolodex of mechanics like this for road trips.
Rockaria
Another 914 owner and mechanic in the area is Russ Kelso at PMCI, Inc. in Corrales, New Mexico. http://www.pmciinc.com/index.html He is the fastest in the area with his little 6 "The Pig"
IPB Image

QUOTE(kerensky @ Jul 24 2012, 09:35 PM) *

Good resource - every 'teener driver should have a Rolodex of mechanics like this for road trips.
JStroud
My son sent me this, he saw it parked down the street from his house in Albuquerque. Maybe someone here?

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(kerensky @ Jul 24 2012, 08:35 PM) *

K - I had my eye out for your & other 914s as I passed eastbound thru OKC last Wed to Sallisaw, then westbound on Sun, but didn't see any Okie Teeners this trip. Didn't have time to get up to Tulsa for a visit with Curt/vsg this time either. sad.gif

Dr. J was telling about some guy out on the west end who has 20+ 914s - mostly parts cars, but with 2 real 6 & a Cremecicle & Bumblebee & at least 2 other runners that he & his son drives. He also mentioned a P-car gathering in a week or two there at some guy's house who has a scad of classic cars, including a non-running 904 - so it may be of interest to you locals to check them out.

At least one of the 914s at his shop were for sale - a blue 75 1.8 IIRC.

Well, gotta hit the road back to The OC! driving.gif

PS - Oh & FYI another ABQ shop that I know works on VW aircooleds & BMWs is Deiters, but I don't recall the address - so maybe a local can chime in. Back in the late 90's I had to stop in there when my 85 BMW 325e's rear "in tank" fuel pump went bad, and we talked 914s, VW vans & about our 88 Westy WBX. He did good work & spent some time in Socal working for a shop in South OC, but don't recall the shop name there either. At the time I stopped in the late 90's Deiter's shop was on the AAA recco list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.