Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: South Bay (LAX) Carb Clinic and Lift Assembly Party, Aug 25th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
euro911
A couple of weekends ago, Doug (mrbubblehead), Joe (Kapt Kaos) and I got together to fine-tune Joe's and the 'BB's' carburetors.

We got Joe's car running pretty well and the A/F readings were looking great. We ran into a little difficulty with mine and gave up since it was getting late in the day dry.gif

This prompted the question - would there be enough interest to hold a larger carb-tuning clinic in the South Bay area (LAX)?

I offered to host the event at my shop in Harbor City and Joe suggested that we could merge a carb-tune clinic along with my Danmar lift assembly party. I said, why not.

EDIT (7/31): After numerous responses, the event is scheduled for Saturday, August 25th.

The 'Carb Clinic' will be headed up by Doug and will include carb theory/analysis and possibly some lab work (utilizing the latest high-tech equipment known to mankind)

I will be more involved with the 4-post lift assembly and will need some strong helpers happy11.gif

There will be food & drink, cool give-away prizes and Joe Sharp will be manning the grille jsharp.gif biggrin.gif

So the question is ... who (and how many of you) would be interested in attending this event? confused24.gif

Post here or PM me to RSVP, so we know how much grub to provide.

I'll PM the shop address ... type.gif

Proposed Attendees:

mrbubblehead (Doug)
KaptKaos (Joe)
Joe Sharp
SLITS (Ron)
Rotary'14 (Robert)
Elliot Cannon
Jim Hoyland
914-300Hemi (Ravi)
silver74insocal (Dave)
oldschool (Jaime/Jim)
914_teener (Rob)
monkeyboy (Jim)
1TRICK6 (Jim)
ruby914 (Mike)
arg (Tony)
76-914 (Kent)
Type4Unltd (Richard)
Heeltoe914 (Leamon)
Mike D.
bdstone (Bruce)
Reid (my brother)
Black22 (Mike)
SECHSER (Jack)

0396 (Peter)
falconfp2001 (Frank)
RSrocket (Ron)
RiqueMar (Enrrrrrrique)
G e o r g e
914Bryan
mike914duck
Rob (Landlord)
lagunero (Alberto)

Me +1

Click to view attachment
SLITS
I would possibly show up depending upon the date, but I don't do carbs ... FI all the way.

I need to change the clutch in the Grey Ghost before RRC, so I need to take that into consideration. Also want to add an A/F indicator (which has nothing to do with the clutch .. biggrin.gif )

Now, about A/C in your trailer .................................
falconfp2001
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 28 2012, 08:53 AM) *

I would possibly show up depending upon the date, but I don't do carbs ... FI all the way.

I need to change the clutch in the Grey Ghost before RRC, so I need to take that into consideration. Also want to add an A/F indicator (which has nothing to do with the clutch .. biggrin.gif )

Now, about A/C in your trailer .................................

I would possibly come by. My DD is FI as well but I have a carb on my 74 Super. It's still out of commission though.

I've always liked working on carbs though just never worked on webers. I had a 74 Rotary pickup with a side draft delorto on it that screamed down the road. Loved how that car ran.

Grill? I could bring some meat but it will have to cook low and slow while we beer3.gif

Rotary'14
Hi Mark!

I wanna just show up and watch! what date?

-Robert
Elliot Cannon
I can be there if it's towards the end of August. I'll be visiting family (my wifes) and friends in the Pacific Northwest in the beginning of August.
Cheers, Elliot
mrbubblehead
im in too....
matthepcat
I got excited and then realized it was the wrong "south bay". Is Mission bay the SoCal "bay"?
euro911
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jul 28 2012, 04:42 PM) *
im in too....
Well, I'd hope so. Since you ARE the carb dude, you'll need to be in charge of that portion of the event. OK? shades.gif
euro911
A little south of LAX airport, Matt
RSrocket
I would attend since I live in the SoBay. Granted, my DD is FI but my 914 is carbed smile.gif It would be a great opportunity to learn more about tuning carbs other than just changing a bunch of jets.
RSrocket
@ Mark,

BTW, I''m still new to the 914 crowd. Where is your shop located?

Thanks,
Ron
jim_hoyland
Sounds good, I'm in... smile.gif
Black22
If it's at the end of August I might be in also. I run FI, but more knowledge never hurts.
Count me in. What's the date?
914-300Hemi
Count me in.
stewteral
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 28 2012, 12:42 AM) *

A couple of weekends ago, Doug (mrbubblehead), Joe (Kapt Kaos) and I got together to fine-tune Joe's and the 'BB's' carburetors.

We got Joe's car running pretty well and the A/F readings were looking great. We ran into a little difficulty with mine and gave up since it was getting late in the day dry.gif

This prompted the question - would be enough interest to hold a larger carb-tuning session in the South Bay area (LAX)?

I offered to host the event at my shop in Harbor City and Joe suggested that we could merge a carb-tune session with my Danmar lift assembly party. I said, why not.

Looking at the calendar, the event would be scheduled for a Saturday in August.

The plans would include carb analysis and tuning with the latest high-tech equipment known to mankind, 4-post lift assembly, food & drink, cool give-away prizes and Joe Sharp has sort of agreed to man the grille jsharp.gif biggrin.gif

So the question is ... who (and how many of you) would be interested in attending and event of this nature? confused24.gif

If there's enough response, we'll set a more definitive date ... idea.gif

Heyeuro 911,

I'm restoring a '73 for which I've built a 1914cc big bore engine with and mild Engle W-100 cam (.420" lift @ 236 deg duration). The engine breaths throught dual Weber 40mm downthroats.

My question, given that I'm nearby in Camarillo (same environment as SouthBay), can you suggest jetting for the Webers?

Thanks,
Terry
silver74insocal
I would love to attend this. not really interested in carb tuning but will help out any way i can beerchug.gif Dave
euro911
I asked Robert (Rotary'14) if he would like to bring some stainless steel fuel line sets to the event (to sell).

If you would like to purchase a set, PM him to make sure he brings enough.
euro911
QUOTE(stewteral @ Jul 29 2012, 10:39 AM) *
Heyeuro 911,

I'm restoring a '73 for which I've built a 1914cc big bore engine with and mild Engle W-100 cam (.420" lift @ 236 deg duration). The engine breaths throught dual Weber 40mm downthroats.

My question, given that I'm nearby in Camarillo (same environment as SouthBay), can you suggest jetting for the Webers?

Thanks,
Terry
If I knew the answer off the top of my head, I'd probably be a wealthy man, Terry. Although you've provided a lot of info, it's still not an easy answer to hand out. Every engine is different - C/R, valve sizes, ignition system, exhaust system and other variables also need to be taken into consideration. That's why Doug and Joe thought it would be a good idea to hold this Carb-Tuning Clinic.

We will have the most current Innovate A/F ratio metering systems available and (correct me if I'm wrong, Doug), a myriad of idle, main and air correction jets for testing Weber 40~48 IDF carburetors. We'll also have jet gauges to verify jets are as stamped, as well as drills and files to open up orifices as needed sheeplove.gif

For those who don't need your carbs worked on, you'll be put to work helping to assemble and erect a Danmar D-7 4-post lift laugh.gif
falconfp2001
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 29 2012, 02:13 PM) *

QUOTE(stewteral @ Jul 29 2012, 10:39 AM) *
Heyeuro 911,

Thanks,
Terry
If I knew the answer off the top of my head, I'd probably be a wealthy man, Terry. Although you've provided a lot of info, it's not still an easy answer to hand out. Every engine is different - C/R, valve sizes, ignition system, exhaust system and other variables also need to be taken into consideration. That's why Doug and Joe thought it would be a good idea to sponsor this Carb-Tuning Clinic.

We will have the most current Innovate A/F ratio metering systems available and (correct me if I'm wrong, Doug), a myriad of idle, main and air correction jets for testing Weber 40~48 IDF carburetors. We'll also have jet gauges to verify jets are as stamped, as well as drills and files to open up orifices as needed sheeplove.gif

For those who don't need your carbs worked on, you'll be put to work helping to assemble and erect ta Danmar D-7 4-post lift laugh.gif

Does that mean i can finally get under my car to locate where the pesky leak is?
mrbubblehead
mark, i was thinking instead of working on tuning 1 or 2 cars, we could put on a little class. i was gonna print up some hand outs to give out. we could go over weber theory, synchronizing, air/fuel ratios, and tuning. that way everybody can learn to tune there own cars. and then we'll all have an understanding on how the carbs work and what effects jetting changes will make and why. i think that would be better than 10 guys trying to look in the decklid while one guy is trying to explain things. i could even get some poster board and make up some drawings so we are all on the same page.

euro911
It'll be pretty much your gig, Doug. Sounds OK with me ... but I'll still offer up the 'BB' as a lab experiment laugh.gif
Elliot Cannon
When??
JoeSharp
agree.gif What he said...
Black22
I vote for August 18th or 25th. If it's not one of those Saturdays, unfortunately I'm out.
euro911
Well, this more about what date works best for you guys. Post your choice of August 18th. or August 25th. Majority will dictate the date.

I tried to edit the first post to add a poll, but couldn't figure it out dry.gif

Either date, August 18th. or 25th. is OK with me. Once we have a consensus, I'll post a definite date ... and of course a start time (914-ish)?

Doug, which of those two Saturdays do you want to do this on?
confused24.gif

EDIT:

Saturday, August 25th is the date ... gates open at 8:00 am-'ish
oldschool
25th looks clear to me at this point.... headbang.gif TV shows seem to add days some times.
If I come I will bring my gear and shoot the event, and post it so others can injoy aktion035.gif idea.gif maybe even bring my heat press and print some shirts (if some one does the art work)..just bring a white t-shirt.
914_teener
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jul 30 2012, 10:09 PM) *

25th looks clear to me at this point.... headbang.gif TV shows seem to add days some times.
If I come I will bring my gear and shoot the event, and post it so others can injoy aktion035.gif idea.gif maybe even bring my heat press and print some shirts (if some one does the art work)..just bring a white t-shirt.

+2
monkeyboy
I'm in. I could use some help fine tuning my Dells.
Elliot Cannon
Twenty fifth. beerchug.gif
mrbubblehead
25th is better for me too.
falconfp2001
I'm good with either
euro911
OK, I'm calling it the 25th. too then.
1TRICK6
Mark and Doug,
Any chance you'll be discussing the tuning of 3bbl 40 ida webers.
I'll bring my 6 as a guinea pig.

Jim
euro911
Simply put, carburetors atomize a fuel mixture, shouldn't matter how many throats you're dealing with.

A neighbor's Dellortos stumped me last week, though WTF.gif ... I should snag his manual to better learn the difference from Webers.

I'll let Doug chime in on what he'll be offering at the clinic ...
RiqueMar
I'm down! Let me see if I can try to make this! piratenanner.gif

No carbs, but it'd be cool to stop by and hang out!
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(1TRICK6 @ Aug 3 2012, 09:41 AM) *

Mark and Doug,

Jim

sure, bring it. ive never had the opportunity to tune a 6 cylinder. but i bet the fundamentals are the same. especially if the 3c ida's share the 2 barrel layout..... just another float bowl and barrel, i would imagine. hopefuley someone will chime in who knows what the differences are.
SLITS
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Aug 3 2012, 01:24 PM) *

Mark and Doug,

Jim

sure, bring it. ive never had the opportunity to tune a 6 cylinder. but i bet the fundamentals are the same. especially if the 3c ida's share the 2 barrel layout..... just another float bowl and barrel, i would imagine. hopefuley someone will chime in who knows what the differences are.

I'll look at some Weber sheets I have when I get back in town ... Sunday or Monday.
1TRICK6
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Aug 3 2012, 01:24 PM) *

Mark and Doug,

Jim

Count me in on the 25th.

Jim
ruby914
Mark,
I don't have carbs but looks like fun. It will be nice to check out your new shop too.
idea.gif
You may have to do this more often for us FI guys.
The only thing I know about the ruby914's AFR is, it can't be correct.

euro911
Like I mentioned earlier, all the FI guys can help to assemble the lift happy11.gif
KaptKaos
Awesome stuff! Can't wait.
mrbubblehead
i had better get crackin on my hand outs and stuff. idea.gif wacko.gif
monkeyboy
I'm in as well.
Elliot Cannon
I may have missed it on another post/thread but I will eventually need to know where your shop is. confused24.gif Address? laugh.gif
Black22
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Aug 5 2012, 11:03 AM) *

I may have missed it on another post/thread but I will eventually need to know where your shop is. confused24.gif Address? laugh.gif

agree.gif
euro911
I'm waiting to see if any additional folks want to sign up before I PM the address.

Give it a few more days ...

EDIT: I added the list of proposed attendees in the first post
arg
Mark Iam in for the aug. 25. I can bring my hammer drill if you need one. For drilling the anchor bolt holes in concret. let me know
Tony G
euro911
Thanks for the offer, Tony, but we're not planning to bolt the lift down. See you there.
euro911
Anybody else planning on attending?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.