Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Microsquirt Start up/tune work party BBQ
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JStroud
As some of you know my car is at McMarks shop, Original Customs in Sonoma, for some rust repairs, and need upgrades. I've got a new 2056 sitting in my garage, and I purchased McMarks Microsquirt/crank fire FI kit. Here's the project thread.

After the car gets home and put back together, which needs to happen quickly I'm trying to get it done in time to drive it to RRC in Utah, aktion035.gif driving.gif Mark is going to come here to finish the final installation of his kit and help me get it fired up...and maybe some tuning done.

The fire up is going to be on Sunday August 26, 2012. I'm going to make it a jsharp.gif My address and contact info are on the contact page of my website, in my signature.

So anyone in the area or willing to drive here is welcome, if you're interested in this system or just want to go for a drive and party party.gif ...come on by.

How big this gets is up to you....we can workparty BBQ for the day...or workparty BBQ, party, bonefire, camp. I have 3 acres out in the country, lots of room, a pool and spa, horse shoes, and pool volleyball.

So you tell me what you want to make this, I'm providing, various BBQ meats, fruit tray, macaroni salad, some beer, soda, and water.

Here are some pictures of the BBQ we had last year.

Lennies yellow car before its conversion to black, with Jeeperjohn56 blue 914 behind it.

Click to view attachment

Then Conedodgers car, hey Rob look no flares!

Click to view attachment

KG6DXN's 914 need a little help getting here, after the freeway decided to do an instant oil change by ripping his oil plug off the bottom of his engine on the way here, But it didn't stop Mike and his wife, they showed up with the 914.

Click to view attachment

I only took pictures of the 914's, I thought I had pictures of the people but can't seem to find them. confused24.gif

And this is what we'll be starting up!

Click to view attachment

So let me know the interest and we'll plan from there.

Jeff Stroud
Galt Ca
(that was for you Elliot)
jeeperjohn56
Hey Jeff, That sounds great but will just be done with surgery on my left hand will have to see how I'm feeling. Won't be able to wrench, but can hand you tools. My body is falling apart, have a cast on right foot for the last five weeks and getting it off on the 7th of Aug. And then I need surgery for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. And this just a start,I'm having other problems also, god it sucks getting old. John
Lennies914
I don't think I'll be able to make this one. Should be moving my wife to NY that weekend. sad.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Jul 31 2012, 02:40 AM) *

Hey Jeff, That sounds great but will just be done with surgery on my left hand will have to see how I'm feeling. Won't be able to wrench, but can hand you tools. My body is falling apart, have a cast on right foot for the last five weeks and getting it off on the 7th of Aug. And then I need surgery for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. And this just a start,I'm having other problems also, god it sucks getting old. John

That sucks John, hope you're doing better soon. My uncle just had the carpal tunnel surgery, on both hands, was in and out in one day, said only took a couple of days to feel better and be able to use them with no pain. Hope yours goes well.

If you can make it we'd enjoy your company, if not feel better.

Jeff
JStroud
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jul 31 2012, 06:20 AM) *

I don't think I'll be able to make this one. Should be moving my wife to NY that weekend. sad.gif

What an idea......does she know yet lol-2.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Just kidding Sandy. That's OK lennie, you'll just have to come over before then and help me put back all the stuff you took off. poke.gif

If you need any help, truck/trailer, to move stuff local let me know.

Jeff
Jeffs9146
Sorry Jeff I have commitments that week!!

Have fun!! beerchug.gif
JimN73
Jeff, I've put it on my calendar. Weather is an issue, oil pressure drops when outside temps go over 90. Generally holds 30 - 40 psi at lower temps but drops to 25 when the temps go up.

The engine gets a new oil pump when the microsquirt conversion happens, til then I'm careful about driving in the heat

Jim
ConeDodger
Jeff,
You clearly have 'the disease' so why don't you skip a step and buy my engine and put it in your car. You know you want to go 'that' fast... biggrin.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jul 31 2012, 07:34 AM) *

Sorry Jeff I have commitments that week!!

Have fun!! beerchug.gif

Maybe next time, if it starts I'll be having fun. beer.gif

Jeff
JStroud
QUOTE(JimN73 @ Jul 31 2012, 08:46 PM) *

Jeff, I've put it on my calendar. Weather is an issue, oil pressure drops when outside temps go over 90. Generally holds 30 - 40 psi at lower temps but drops to 25 when the temps go up.

The engine gets a new oil pump when the microsquirt conversion happens, til then I'm careful about driving in the heat

Jim

Sounds good Jim, hope you can make it.

Jeff
JStroud
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 31 2012, 09:20 PM) *

Jeff,
You clearly have 'the disease' so why don't you skip a step and buy my engine and put it in your car. You know you want to go 'that' fast... biggrin.gif

That's true Rob, I have gone a little crazy lately. That's why I can't afford your motor now, Ive been dumping every spare dime into this motor, and now the car.
But it's just an investment.....right. beerchug.gif

Jeff
biosurfer1
I'll probably swing by at some point too...here's to hoping for cool weather
ConeDodger
For those thinking about helping out, Jeff's garage is immaculate and would be a joy to work in. Jeff and his wife are terrific hosts! biggrin.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 1 2012, 12:37 PM) *

For those thinking about helping out, Jeff's garage is immaculate and would be a joy to work in. Jeff and his wife are terrific hosts! biggrin.gif

Thanks Rob, and to help battle the heat, I added air conditioning to the garage today, just a swamp cooler, but man what a difference...102 today, 104 tomorrow.

Hopefully the 25th will be cooler. The occassional dip in the pool helps. beer.gif

Jeff
JStroud
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Aug 1 2012, 10:35 AM) *

I'll probably swing by at some point too...here's to hoping for cool weather

Dogs will be locked up and gates open at 8:00 AM, stop by at anytime, I'm sure the wrenching will be going on most of the day, and cooler weather has been ordered found some on Amazon cheap....hope it gets here on time beer3.gif av-943.gif

Jeff

Lennies914
I might make it after all. We've moved the move date out a month. biggrin.gif

Huh, idea.gif You might have to hide that car for me a couple extra weeks. dry.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 2 2012, 06:25 AM) *

I might make it after all. We've moved the move date out a month. biggrin.gif

Huh, idea.gif You might have to hide that car for me a couple extra weeks. dry.gif

Sounds good, should be a fun day.

What car confused24.gif

Jeff
jeeperjohn56
Hey Jeff, What are you hiding for Lennie? Pic's please. John
JStroud
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Aug 4 2012, 12:01 AM) *

That's up to Lennie, if I posted pictures it wouldn't be hidden anymore. happy11.gif

Jeff
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Aug 3 2012, 11:01 PM) *

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! John! Sandy and her evil dog will hear! blink.gif
jeeperjohn56
She'll find out soon anyway, It;s best to let them know now than later, it will only cost you a week's worth of sex laugh.gif . Then all you'll have to do is buy her what she wants. Then you buy what you need for new project. lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
A WEEKS WORTH OF SEX!!! unsure.gif
jeeperjohn56
I know from experience,my first two guns, one week, first rice rocket motorcycle two months, I have learn to tell them before they find out. My second 914 I had Lennie park the trailer right in front of the house, so she would see it. I still have to sell my Jeep to make her happy. But after thirty years together she's getting use to me. slap.gif
JStroud
Talked to McMark today repairs will be done and cars coming home tomorrow. piratenanner.gif
Can't wait to see how it looks.....no more holes!

Might have to take a few days off work to get back on schedule, still a lot to do before the 25th, but I'm determined to get it done and take it to Albuqurque and then RRC. driving.gif

Jeff
JStroud
Mark got the repairs completed, and the cars back home. Got the trunk, engine compartment, under the trunk, and floorboards sandblasted and cleaned up. Car is back in the garage for final cleanup and a little paint.

Then all the parts go back on, it's going to be close but I should have it ready for the 25th.

Regardless I'm going to be ready to BBQ and beer3.gif
Hope some of you can make it, should be a fun day as long as the weather cooperates.

Jeff
JStroud
icon_bump.gif
JStroud
Well it doesn't look like enough interest for a BBQ party, the wife's made other plans and will be gone for the day, so it looks like just a work party. I'll have BBQ ribs , macaroni salad, chips/dip, fruit, beer, soda and water for anyone who wants to stop by and check out our progress, or help. beer3.gif

I'm taking Friday off to get the new engine installed, anyone off on Friday that wants to come by is welcome, I'll be in the garage all day.

At least the weather will be nicer 12 degrees cooler than last weekend piratenanner.gif

Jeff
JStroud
Talked to McMark today, since there was no interest in making this a BBQ/Party, Mark is going to spend the day Saturday with his lovely wife Allison.
Sunday he will be here to help with the final installation of his microsquirt system, and fire the new engine. Maybe even get some tuning done.

So the new plan is, I will be in the garage Friday and Saturday, getting the car put back together, Saturday I plan on installing the new engine, anyone who wants to come by saturday and give a hand is welcome, I'll have plenty to eat and drink for both days. McMark will be here on Sunday for the final hook ups and the fire up.
Again anyone interested in stopping by either day is welcome, Gates will be open at 8:00am both days.

Weather is cooperating, in the 80's both days piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif

Jeff
ConeDodger
Jeff, PM me your address again. I might take a trip over the hill in the Z if I get through everything else I want to get done...
JimN73
[quote name='jsconst' date='Aug 21 2012, 09:45 PM' post='1727387']
Talked to McMark today, since there was no interest in making this a BBQ/Party, Mark is going to spend the day Saturday with his lovely wife Allison.
Sunday he will be here to help with the final installation of his microsquirt system, and fire the new engine. Maybe even get some tuning done.

So the new plan is, I will be in the garage Friday and Saturday, getting the car put back together, Saturday I plan on installing the new engine, anyone who wants to come by saturday and give a hand is welcome, I'll have plenty to eat and drink for both days. McMark will be here on Sunday for the final hook ups and the fire up.
Again anyone interested in stopping by either day is welcome, Gates will be open at 8:00am both days.

Weather is cooperating, in the 80's both days piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif

Jeff
[/quote

I'll plan on Sunday, Jeff. Be good to help with the MS part of the job.

Jim
JStroud
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 22 2012, 06:31 AM) *

Jeff, PM me your address again. I might take a trip over the hill in the Z if I get through everything else I want to get done...

Cool, hope you can make it Rob, even if its in a Z lol-2.gif

Jeff
Lennies914
I'll be there either Saturday or Sunday, not sure which yet. beerchug.gif

I'm guessing Saturday would be best for you? Let me know.
JStroud
QUOTE(JimN73 @ Aug 22 2012, 08:43 AM) *

I'll plan on Sunday, Jeff. Be good to help with the MS part of the job.

Jim

Sounds good Jim, Mark said he would be here around 9:00 - 9:30, but stop by anytime.

See you Then,

Jeff
JStroud
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 22 2012, 07:40 PM) *

I'll be there either Saturday or Sunday, not sure which yet. beerchug.gif

I'm guessing Saturday would be best for you? Let me know.

Thanks Lennie, ya probably saturday if that works for you, installing the new engine that day. But if Sundays better, I can just tell kevin he has to work saturday, then when he shows up he can help me put it in happy11.gif

See you this weekend beer3.gif

Jeff
ConeDodger
Ahhhh! I just checked the call schedule and I am the call person for Sunday. I can't give up Saturday in the garage so I'm out... Sorry Jeff! sad.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 23 2012, 06:25 AM) *

Ahhhh! I just checked the call schedule and I am the call person for Sunday. I can't give up Saturday in the garage so I'm out... Sorry Jeff! sad.gif

No worries Rob, work tends to get in the way of fun sometimes, but it's what pays for the fun, so whatta ya gonna do.

See you next time.

Jeff
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jsconst @ Aug 23 2012, 05:40 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 23 2012, 06:25 AM) *

No worries Rob, work tends to get in the way of fun sometimes, but it's what pays for the fun, so whatta ya gonna do.

See you next time.

Jeff

I just really wanted to see me some Megasquirt tuning... sad.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 23 2012, 12:24 PM) *

Jeff lives in the perfect area for street tuning without a dyno. Miles and miles of pastures and ranches.

I'd come too but I have my own set of issues... sad.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 23 2012, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 23 2012, 12:24 PM) *

Jeff lives in the perfect area for street tuning without a dyno. Miles and miles of pastures and ranches.

I'd come too but I have my own set of issues... sad.gif

Ya hopefully we get to the point of street tuning, that would be awesome. driving.gif

That's ok Mike your project makes mine look like paint by numbers av-943.gif

Keep working at it, we all want to see that car back on the road first.gif
But if you need a break, come by and drink some beer and eat some ribs.

Jeff
JStroud
Got the center tunnel treated today, some touch up painting done, and dynamat installed on the firewall both sides, and the floors. Cleaned up some parts, and started cooking the ribs....it's a two day process, low and slow.

Lennies coming over tomorrow to help put things back together beer3.gif and eventually get the new engine installed beer3.gif chowtime.gif beer3.gif

Stop by if you're free, or we'll drink all the beer beer3.gif

Jeff
Lennies914
I'm getting a late start, but will leave soon. biggrin.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Aug 25 2012, 07:50 AM) *

I'm getting a late start, but will leave soon. biggrin.gif

No problem, off to a late start myself, one of the rat terriers decided to start having pups at 4:00am......been a hectic morning.

Getting all the parts out of the storage area now, is it too early beer3.gif

Can't wait to hear this motor run piratenanner.gif

Jeff
JStroud
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif THE MOTOR IS IN piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Lennie came over this morning, beer3.gif we got the new fuel lines beer3.gif and cables run through the tunnel, beer3.gif worked out a few electrical issues, beer3.gif and fuel line/filter problems, beer3.gif then sat down and ate some ribs and salad. beer3.gif Had a few beers beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

Then this afternoon the new motor went in. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Thanks for all your help Lennie, I owe you big time. first.gif beerchug.gif

Ok now for some pictures.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Still have all the cables and connections to finish, but having the motor finally in sure feels good aktion035.gif

Now to hear it run! shades.gif

Jeff
JimN73
Looks real nice when it's new and shiny. I'd just as soon that mine not be so pretty, I'd feel compelled to keep it clean.

See you in the morning.

Jim
JStroud
Well the garage is all cleaned up from yesterday, and ready for round two. Looks like the cooler weather I purchased last week off Amazon arrived lol-2.gif yesterday was mid 80's, today low 80's aktion035.gif Should be another good day for wrenching and BBQ. chowtime.gif

Time to get busy, stop by if you can, Lennie and I didn't drink all the beer....but we tried beer3.gif

Jeff
Lennies914
popcorn[1].gif
JStroud
Well we came thiiiisssss close. Unfortunately we were short a couple of threaded spacers to get the coil brackets installed properly, I didn't want to have to take things back off to install them later, and poor McMark was a little under the weather so the start up didn't happen today, but we did get a lot done.

Mark got the wiring harness completed and most of the electrical connections done, shouldn't take too much to finish up once I get the other spacers.
Jim and I got the fuel tank back in, all the cables and shift rods connected, seat brackets in, a bunch of electrical put back, ate some ribs beer3.gif

We sent McMark home early and drank beer the rest of the afternoon beer3.gif

Thanks Mark, hope you're feeling better.

Thanks for all the help today Jim, as always enjoyed your company! beer.gif

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.