Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ethanol Rated Fuel Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbrunk1
Was replacing all the fuel lines.

What brand or things do you look for to make sure it can handle ethanol.

2.0L FI 1973 moving to front and have 8mm stainless down the tunnel.

Do the newer rubber lines have a stamped marking?
TheCabinetmaker
We used to use Goodyear 30r, but there are several now that are high pressure, and compatible with all fuels. i use coline. Be sure to use the high pressure band clamps.some are marked. Yes.
Black22
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 31 2012, 06:36 PM) *

We used to use Goodyear 30r

30r9
JawjaPorsche
I got my hoses from NAPA plus fuel injector clamps. Ethanol will still eat up your hoses so check them regularly. If you can find a gas station that sells 100%, so much the better.
SLITS
Goodyear SAE 30R9 . Good luck finding it. I bought two 25' rolls (3/8" & 5/16") Cost was $250. It used to have a blue liner, but they had trouble with it rolling back when installed. It's now black. It's for our lovely ethanol based fuels.

Don't know if anyone else markets SAE 30R9.
Mike Bellis
Anything that is CARB certified or legal for EFI in California will work.
SLITS
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 31 2012, 06:42 PM) *

Anything that is CARB certified or legal for EFI in California will work.

And you believe the gubermint pukes? biggrin.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 31 2012, 06:41 PM) *

Goodyear SAE 30R9 . Good luck finding it. I bought two 25' rolls (3/8" & 5/16") Cost was $250. It used to have a blue liner, but they had trouble with it rolling back when installed. It's now black. It's for our lovely ethanol based fuels.

Don't know if anyone else markets SAE 30R9.

I just bought a 25' roll of 5/16" 30r9 from amazon 106.00 shipped.

Jeff
McMark
I just looked into all this and agree with above. But one thought that I had while doing research was that the "Not for fuel injection" hose has a working pressure of 50 psi and a burst pressure in the range of 100psi. I can understand why the manufacturer would print that on there (cover their asses), but since our system runs well below the working pressure of the carb line, why shouldn't we save money and use it?
Bartlett 914
I recently found 30r9 at advance auto (a local flaps) very reasonable price. NAPA did not have it
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 31 2012, 09:36 PM) *

I just looked into all this and agree with above. But one thought that I had while doing research was that the "Not for fuel injection" hose has a working pressure of 50 psi and a burst pressure in the range of 100psi. I can understand why the manufacturer would print that on there (cover their asses), but since our system runs well below the working pressure of the carb line, why shouldn't we save money and use it?

In my experience, the pressurized fuel causes the hoses to soften and swell in only a few months time. After seeing that, I won't even use it for carbs.
McMark
With Goodyear 30R9? They have a low pressure and a high pressure of the ethanol safe line.
nathansnathan
30r9 is the SAE rating for the high pressure. 30r7 is the equivalent low pressure version. They have a flourolastemer (sp) (like silicone) lining. I bought some of the low pressure stuff in 3/8 for maybe $60 for 25'. It's too bad the EU doesn't have such crappy gas or we could get it in metric.

I wonder what they use in Brazil? ... nevermind beerchug.gif
IPB Image
ChrisFoley
30R7 doesn't have the lining AFAIK.
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 1 2012, 10:13 AM) *

30R7 doesn't have the lining AFAIK.

dammit you're right, it's just Nitrile, good thing I've put off installing it.
McMark
Ahhhh, apparently I misunderstood the specs, or they're different for the Gates Barricade hose. I probably will never use the low-pressure line, but I will always wonder since the Gates Barricade line indicates it's the same construction quality (NOT 30R7) which implies the fuel injection line is simply better rated for pressure. Oh well. It's not like we're even talking about a worthwhile cost savings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GZxw7hwR6k
ape914
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Aug 1 2012, 10:01 AM) *

30r9 is the SAE rating for the high pressure. 30r7 is the equivalent low pressure version. They have a flourolastemer (sp) (like silicone) lining. I bought some of the low pressure stuff in 3/8 for maybe $60 for 25'. It's too bad the EU doesn't have such crappy gas or we could get it in metric.

I wonder what they use in Brazil? ... nevermind beerchug.gif
IPB Image

Actually 30R7 and 30R9 are different mainly in that 30R9 is lined to resist the oxygenated fuels, 30R7 is not. these ratings are by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)

30R9 also has a considerably lower permiability to gasoline than 30R7 i think it was something like over thirty times less permiable to gasoline vapours. Hence 30R7 is not allowed to be used as a replacement on newer smog controlled cars. use of 30r9 reduces the hydrocarbon smog problem. even when a car is just sitting, it is polluting by outgassing of the fuel. 30r9 reduces the hoses role as a source for this pollution.

30R7 will degrade in high oxygenated gasoline. 30R7 used to be specified for FI pressures. now we are starting to see 30R7 marked as unsafe for FI pressures. that is because the new fuels will weaken 30R7 over long exposures and can cause it to fail at high pressure.
patssle
I've had this same problem, but for my jet skis. Rebuilding the carbs on my 1995 Seadoo and been trying to find affordable fuel hose. Ugh!

I have found this and Gates is a big manufacturer: http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/do...ricade4page.pdf

Haven't bought it, but found it cheap on Amazon - reseller has good reviews. (for carbs - this size is 1/4") http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Rubber-Company...e/dp/B00498CX2M
damesandhotrods
Maybe there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

Salon.Com
benalishhero
FWIW, I have been using Gates hose rated for EFI in E10 land for a number of years no problem....
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 31 2012, 07:36 PM) *

I had non EFI hose after the pump, in the front trunk. I worked for a long time. The constant pressure and release (pump on/off) over time wore out the internal threads. It burst one day on the freeway. I watched the gas gauge move to empty as I drove. Running 43psi rail.

I will never use non EFI rated hose again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.