Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My rusty 73 1.7 build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
metalmorphosis
And from below the hell hole area pretty much done and e-brake tubes back on along w the rear jack point triangles on.
metalmorphosis
Its been about 2 wks since posting any pics so its time to get back to it! Heres a few of the ft fender tacked back on. I'm leaving it just tacked for now because I think I'm gonna cut it back off again later. It seems a little low compared w the hood and years ago when I pulled the damage out from my fender bender I felt like it may need to be pulled up some more. Even though my car isn't getting any paint right now I want panel fit and gaps to be as good as I can get them. So we'll see how this ends up later.
metalmorphosis
Heres my air drier I made on the cheap and it seemed to work too! Its just coiled alum tubing in ice water then to a cheapy water separator. And the before pic of the engine compartment.
metalmorphosis
A few more before pics
metalmorphosis
Here I am in my crazy painting get up. It started raining as soon as I finished the first coat but that wasn't stopping me! And heres the engine compartment after painting.
metalmorphosis
Heres a few more after painting but due to bad lighting you can't see anything on the pass side. And one of the flr pans too.
metalmorphosis
So weekend before last it was time to take it off the "jackstands"! Doug offered to help me with getting it down and I would like to say thanks again for the help! The first pic is from aprox 2 yrs ago when it was going up and the second is from 2 wks ago when it came down. I still can hardly believe its not in the air anymore!!!!
metalmorphosis
Almost there, and finally 4 wheels on the ground!!!!!
metalmorphosis
One last one for tonight
tscrihfield
Sir, my hat is off to you for innovation and ability to overcome! This is some serious Work you've done! Post more!

Thomas
dlee6204
QUOTE(metalmorphosis @ Sep 8 2012, 12:10 AM) *

One last one for tonight

thumb3d.gif
trojanhorsepower
Man you W-S folks are killing me. I have to stop working on the DD's and get to work on the car that matters!

-Pete
metalmorphosis
Hey Pete W-S is about to have another one back on the road, so yea get to work on the car that matters! Anyway I cleaned my stainless heat exchangers the other day and they were still grimmy on the inside. I want my heat to smell as non oily as possible so off to the radiator shop they went. The insides look great and didn't cost an arm and a leg. The 2nd pic is a little blurry but you get the idea.
metalmorphosis
Also got my new 30r9 fuel lines from Tangerine racing today. Thanks Chris! Also throwin in a pic on the engine.
metalmorphosis
Last one for tonight, heres whats next when the 914 is done. Notchback yeah!!!
metalmorphosis
I haven't posted anything lately so its time to get back at it. Heres my nice new fuel lines and clamps installed. And another of the engine with all new vacuum lines, I hope to find me a black dist cap and get new spark plug wires sooner or later.
metalmorphosis
Heres some fuel pump and stainless line action
metalmorphosis
I don't want to reinstall the org air cleaner housing and hide the nice clean engine. So heres what I'm doing, silicone coupler, stainless clamps, stainless pipe, and cone air filter. The first pic is the coupler and the second is tring to decide where I want the air filter to end up.
metalmorphosis
So heres what I've come up with. I still have to weld on a little bracket I made and some nipples for vacuum lines.
metalmorphosis
last one for tonight
jersey914

Looks great ...... please don't do like so many before you, and stop the thread before the finish! I wanna see a pristine 73' when you are done!

Thanks for sharing!
metalmorphosis
So today was the day for the motor to go back in my car!!!!!!!!!!!!! After 2 long yrs of rust repair I'm almost done w this phase of my 914 project. Doug was kind enough to come over and help me w the installation, thanks again Doug! Now all I have left to do is get the gas tank boiled out and reinstalled, the rear window and shift linkage, and a few wires and cables. Of course there are tons more to be done to this car like the interior and bodywork and paint, but those things will be later. So enough with the talkin here comes the pics.
metalmorphosis
Closer. And finally its in the hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jockellis
Could you talk some more about the wheels. Did you change bolt pattern on disks?
Very nice work.
metalmorphosis
I got the wheels for super cheap from a guy I used to work with. They are 17 x 7 honda prelude wheels and when I first dry fitted them I could tell they would fit, although just barely. The front was the easy part, I just redrilled the rotors and pressed in studs(I'm a machinest and welder by the way). The back was a major pain since getting the hub off is such a hassle. So I machined a drill jig that bolted to the og bolt pattern and had the new pattern where it needed to be w drill bushings. Then I spent lots of time w a hand drill drillin holes in the hub, then I tapped the holes and used screw in studs. It was a major pain in the a@# like I said, but I was very determined to get them on. I was also concerned about runout and vibration but they run true.
jockellis
I work in a machine shop with over 50 five axis CNC milling centers from Starrag, Leichti, Okuma plus a lot of old junk. But I do NDT. What kind of mill did you use for your project? Are you a programmer
metalmorphosis
I did all this 3/4 yrs ago so I don't remember if I used my rung-fu bench top mill at home or the bridgeport at work. But I did it on manual equipment because it was onesie twosie work. And we only have 3 axis mills and 2 axis turning centers at work and I'm the shop forman so I do a little of everything including welding. And I do programing which I really enjoy doing, but I got into this trade as a welder so I still enjoy the molten metal thing too. Also I'd love to play w a 5 axis mill someday.
metalmorphosis
I haven't posted anything in about a month but I have been tinkering when I've had time. The gas tank has been 1 of my hold ups, but its fixed and installed now.It has been boiled out, a rusty spot patched. and re-lined. But the big news is I started it today!!!!!!!!! It seems as though I have injectors not wanting to work on the 1/2 side. I have spark and signal to the injectors so I guess my next move is to soak those 2 injectors in some carb cleaner and/or a few other tests to figure out whats goin on. But it runs and idles ok for only 2 cylinders. I wish I had video of it running but I don't, yet. Its running in these pics so just use your imagination.
metalmorphosis
Also I found some pics of my old fastback that was mentioned eariler so heres my last one for tonight.
metalmorphosis
I DROVE MY CAR TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!! I got my injectors back from Witchhunter 2 days ago and got them installed today. I had to bleed the brakes and do a few other odds and ends then the time finally came. For the first time in over 2 years I legally drove on public streets. I definitely still have alot to do but it's almost done for now. I don't have any pics to post other than my injectors and sooner or later I'm gonna post some video but I gotta figure that one out first.
metalmorphosis
I just wanted to show y'all the latest and greatest thing I've done to my car. So as you'll see from the pics its flat black now. This was an unplanned thing and was a rush job and I must admit I kinda miss my krusty blue. The only other thing to report is I have some seatbelt retractors out of a boxster that I'm gonna be installing soon and since its cold out I'm about to get back on the upolstrey.
Both of which I'll probly start other threads to detail how that works out. Thats all for now.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(metalmorphosis @ Jan 2 2013, 06:25 PM) *

I just wanted to show y'all the latest and greatest thing I've done to my car. So as you'll see from the pics its flat black now. This was an unplanned thing and was a rush job and I must admit I kinda miss my krusty blue. The only other thing to report is I have some seatbelt retractors out of a boxster that I'm gonna be installing soon and since its cold out I'm about to get back on the upolstrey.
Both of which I'll probly start other threads to detail how that works out. Thats all for now.

Nice work! Your welds are excellent. amazing panel repairs. sharp looking machine
norville
QUOTE(metalmorphosis @ Jan 2 2013, 08:25 PM) *

I like it, that was my plan on paint prior to you doing it so, I'm claiming it mine...

great save here..
JawjaPorsche
What is on the shelves? Looks like gym weights.
metalmorphosis
Hey Jawja its flanges, we make valves for the marine industry and thanks again for the injectors!
dlee6204
Lookin good!

When are we going for a drive? driving.gif
metalmorphosis
Anytime Doug, so far I haven't went more than 10 miles from the house though. Gotta get my trust built up w it, but so far its running great. Still got some hooptyness w a few vacuum lines and need to get me a t stat ordered from awesome powder coat but hey the heat is even hooked up (on 1 side). Also want to find out more about the seatbelts mentioned in the current thread from seatbeltplanet.com?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.