Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My rusty 73 1.7 build thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
metalmorphosis
Hello 914 world! Ive been lazily lurking here for way too long and finally decided
to change that tonight. So heres my 1st contribution to all this 914 awesomeness.
This is my 914 back in 2010 when I started the rust repair. I'm almost done with
rust repair now and I have lots of pics but I have to resize and post latter. It seems like these pics are gonna work even though they are big so I guess we'll see what happens.
dlee6204
welcome.png

Winston Salem eh? You're awfully close biggrin.gif I'm always on the lookout for more locals.
metalmorphosis
Heres a few more from 2010. Kind of k-rusty. Hey Doug it would be awesome to
meet another 914er in winston hopefully I'll be back on the road by the end of aug or eairly sept. By the way I think this thread is in the right place if not let me know.
metalmorphosis
Check out my "jackstands"
scotty b
That's trouble just waiting to happen. Nice knowing ya beerchug.gif
billh1963
Wow! That's quite a project biggrin.gif

It"s always good to see one being saved! beer.gif
Porschef
Stylin' rims...what are they? Nice project; indeed, you should do something about your elevation system.... blink.gif
JawjaPorsche
When you said RUSTY build thread, you were not kidding! Good luck with your project.
mepstein
Please add me to your life insurance. $$$
arkitect
Looks like you have it braced thru the doors and across the width. Are you putting it on a rotisserie?

How do you have your car supported in the back?

Dave
Spoke
Good luck with the rustoration.

As others said, get some real jackstands under the car. Your blocks may work well but having redundant supports are a good thing.
metalmorphosis
Hey guys I appreciate all of y'alls concern about my "jackstands" but the car is rocksolid. And no jackstands that I know of will go as high as I have the car. Plus the foot print of my stands are are aprox 2' sq. The front is 2 x 4 cribbing and under the back is 24" pipe w aprox .75" wall w a frame I made that bolts to the trans mounts. Now gettin it up there was very sketchy and hopefully in 2 to 4 wks its coming down but I've had it up there for 2 yrs of beatin and bangin and welding.
Also as soon as I reduce the size of my pics I'll post alot more because I finished the metalwork this past weekend and all the structural rust is long gone.
So I guess this means nobody wants to come hang out under it w me?

Gabe
fasthonda

Rust wise that car really isn't too bad imo. Nice job taking out the spotwelds. Did you use a spotweld removal bit or just a drill?

The supsension console did'nt look to bad, not sure if I would have cut that out.

Keep up the good work.

Michael
metalmorphosis
Hey Michael I just use a drill I do own a spot weld cutter but I always go for the drill.
And yea the suspention console needed work not to mention everything it mounted to had to go. Also I see your from gville sc thats my hometown. Anyway heres more pics of the bad from around sept oct 2010. And I haven't resized yet but I guess that doesn't really matter other than I can only fit 2 per post. What do you guys use to resize pics?
metalmorphosis
more k-rust
tscrihfield
Howdy! welcome.png

Looks great thus far! Keep it up!

Thomas
metalmorphosis
So I think I've posted enough doom and gloom rust pics from 2010, I think its time for a ray of hope. Jumping ahead to May of 2011 some repair wok done. I can't find (or didn't take) pics of pass long and wheel house goin in. But if its more rust you want wait till we get to the drivers side. More on that latter.
metalmorphosis
Ok 2 more the btm of the firewall and a sneak peek at that drivers side.
tadink
YOU are doing great work - keep it up! hat's off to saving one of these things - don't lose your mojo!

td welcome.png
JStroud
Great job! You're taking on quite the project there, you're way more ambitious and talented then I am, to me that would have been a parts car.

Good for you! beerchug.gif

Jeff
saigon71
Taking on a project like this is a huge endeavor. Your work looks good - keep rolling and keep the pics coming. beerchug.gif

To re-size pics, I open them in paint.

rnellums
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Aug 2 2012, 08:00 AM) *

Taking on a project like this is a huge endeavor. Your work looks good - keep rolling and keep the pics coming. beerchug.gif

To re-size pics, I open them in paint.

If you have Microsoft office, Microsoft picture manager has a handy resize function.
metalmorphosis
Heres a little more of the pass side going back together. Everything seemed to line back up really nicely I spent alot of time measuring all this stuff before tacking it in place. And to get back to Porschef's question about the wheels they are... I hate to admit it but aftermarket honda prelude wheels. They are 17 x 7s and I got them for super cheap from a guy i used to work with. I'm out of time for now , more later.
metalmorphosis
So I got to re-meet dlee6204 today and see his sweet 914. Its awesome to have all you guys collection of knowledge and meet up with nice folks locally who love 914s. Can't wait till I can go ridin around w some of you 914 peps. So back to the build pics, these are from July 2011 and are of the bad dr side. I remember being so bummed about having to open up the whole dr long. I guess I was in denial, that I might not have to. Wrong! But I had to get rid of all the rust I could see. So out came the drill and grinder and welder.
metalmorphosis
A lil more
metalmorphosis
And here its starting to get some repairs and some good ol Rust Bullet.
metalmorphosis
Sometime in aug 2011 I guess I felt the urge to cut half the dr side off. I repaired and reinstalled the pc at the btm of the frt door jam. And checkin fittment of the og outter long along w some of the pass long to patch the dr side back up.
metalmorphosis
Well I had hoped to paint my engine compartment and the bottom of the floors this wkend but fell just short. But aside from masking off a few things and minor prep work I am ready to paint next work session. Anyway back to the build pics, these next 2 are a little out of chronological order and are from around oct 2010. They just show the first test fit of the driver side floor. I was probably tring to decide where to cut the front edge of the floor. Thats all for now may get more posted in an hr or so.
tscrihfield
Is that an red/orange tree fiddy six (356) in the background... If so do tell!

Thomas
metalmorphosis
No Thomas I wish it was a 356 but its only my 70 vw fastback, which is no longer mine. If I would've had $2000 back in the mid/late 90's I could have had one. O well I guess almost all of us have the one that got away stories. But at least I have my rockin, rusty 914! And thank goodness its not so rusty anymore! I almost can't believe its been 2 yrs that I've been workin on this thing. My goal now is to fire it up before the end of aug. So i'll get back to the pics so y'all can get caught up to how it currently looks. Heres 2 of the dr long pretty much buttoned up. And I'll find a pic of the fasty and post it later, if I don't forget.
billh1963
Looks like great progress!!!!!!!!!!!!! welder.gif
tscrihfield
QUOTE(metalmorphosis @ Aug 5 2012, 11:17 PM) *

No Thomas I wish it was a 356 but its only my 70 vw fastback, which is no longer mine. If I would've had $2000 back in the mid/late 90's I could have had one. O well I guess almost all of us have the one that got away stories. But at least I have my rockin, rusty 914! And thank goodness its not so rusty anymore! I almost can't believe its been 2 yrs that I've been workin on this thing. My goal now is to fire it up before the end of aug. So i'll get back to the pics so y'all can get caught up to how it currently looks. Heres 2 of the dr long pretty much buttoned up. And I'll find a pic of the fasty and post it later, if I don't forget.

Ahh now I see. Sure had me fooled for a minute. Well don't discount the 914 or yur work! It looks awesome!!!

Thomas
RON S.

Very good work!!!

I've been there and done that, and you'll have no better day, than the last day you'll need to turn on your welder.

One thing to watch for constantly is keep an eye on the body, ever so slightly twisting like a bread tie.
All that welding will cause metal to move. if it is ever going to twist, you'll notice it in the roof lid alignment.

You should put that left side sail panel back on, and always keep checking the back end of the lid for a proper fit.

Keep it up, looks great... smilie_pokal.gif

Ron
metalmorphosis
Hello again everyone, its been almost 2 wks since posting anything. I just got back from my whirlwind trip to new england and I'm glad to be back in the land of sweet tea and biscuits. Anyway back to the build thread pics, heres some of the motor when I started takin it apart to clean it up. I didn't rebuild it as it runs fine just wanted to clean it. Once I removed the tins I found all this, don't know how the poor thing cooled itself.
metalmorphosis
Heres a few after shots.
metalmorphosis
Before I get back to the body, I forgot to mention that the motor got more than a major cleaning. It got new pushrod tube seals, oil cooler seals, heads torqued and valves adjusted, spark plugs, all new vacuum lines, powder coated tins,, and other new odds and ends. I'll have to find and/or take some pics of it now to post later. So now I'll get back to the body. These are from March of this yr I put the driver door back on to start the fitment of the sail panel, doorjam, and org fender. So everythings moving along fine so far, just takin my time tryin to get the panels just right.
metalmorphosis
And now for the sill plate.
metalmorphosis
Heres more of the drivers side goin back together except its permenent now. No more clamps and sheet metal screws, we have spot welds! Also, as you can see I've painted everything so my new metal is protected. So now I've got a bare doorjam that needs a new vin sticker. Although that will have to wait till it gets painted which may be awhile. On another note I found some pics last night that I couldn't find eariler that show more of the pass long repair in detail. I'll post a few of them later even though they will be a little out of order.
metalmorphosis
A few more.
metalmorphosis
Here we go back to the lost but now found out of order pass long pics. Earlier you got pics of the k-rust still in place and then next thing you know the new metal is in. These are just some more details in the middle of all that. Hope you enjoy! So back to Oct 2010 when my poor little car was alomst cut in half and I had all my scrap tubing holding it together.
metalmorphosis
Inner wheelhouse
metalmorphosis
All traces of the k-rusty long gone and the new pcs being test fitted.
dlee6204
Holy Smokes! w00t.gif
metalmorphosis
Inner long half being installed and presto change-o no more rusty long.
metalmorphosis
Heres a little more of the engine compartment area. And this concludes my long lost out of order pics.
billh1963
Threads like these prove that almost any car can be saved!

Although the current values of 914's makes these kinds of repairs hard to justify (if you are paying someone), it is great to know that some people have the skill and perseverance to bring a car back from the brink!

Well done, sir...well done! beerchug.gif
JawjaPorsche
Man that is awesome! You are the man! beerchug.gif
draganc
QUOTE(metalmorphosis @ Aug 23 2012, 07:14 PM) *

Heres a little more of the engine compartment area. And this concludes my long lost out of order pics.

Very nice panel fit!! I have done some of that rust repair and can appreciate your work.

How do you like the "Rust bullet"? I have used in on my repairs and like it a lot, much better than POR15. And since I have a silver rust bucket, it almost fits perfect.

Dragan
metalmorphosis
First I'd like to say thanks for the kind words about my old k-rusty 914! And yeah Dragan my experince w rust bullet is that its a great product, I do as it recommends and apply 2 coats. I've also used a rust converter called rust-mort which seems to do a good job too. I do my best to show rust no mercy. So far I've been jumping all around chronologically, so fire up the delorean and set the flux capacitor to June/July of this year. Heres a little pass side sail panel, door jam, sill plate repair pics.
metalmorphosis
And some inner fire wall and btm of floor action.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.