Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ww914
Awhile back some of us group bought CHT gauges and wideband air/fuel mixture gauges. Any reports on how they are working out for you?

It may be overkill, but I love my CHT display. It may be more info than I need, but it's nice to see what is going on.

As far as the air/fuel gauge goes, I absolutely think that this is the only way to go to tune your carbs to perfection. I am sure this has been said before, but now I am a true believer. I can't keep my eye off the dam thing. Not sure if that is a good thing or not, but I sure know if I am running lean or rich at every throttle position. I suppose when I get it tuned they way I want, I won't stare at it as much.

Here are the three new gauges I have installed:

The top one is the MGL Avionics TC-2 4 channel CHT gauge.
The middle one is the AEM Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio gauge.
The bottom one is an oil pressure gauge.
I built this new insert and saved the original setup.

Click to view attachment

This is how I installed the probes. I didn't use existing spark plugs holes, but cut new holes and inserted grommets.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

wndsnd
QUOTE(ww914 @ Aug 1 2012, 10:23 AM) *

Awhile back some of us group bought CHT gauges and wideband air/fuel mixture gauges. Any reports on how they are working out for you?

It may be overkill, but I love my CHT display. It may be more info than I need, but it's nice to see what is going on.

I probably missed it but did you repost what guages you are using and possibly a picture?
bembry
How much did those run you?
jsayre914
Looks great!

I have got the leads on my plugs but still have not had time to hook up the gauge. I have been busy gettin all the bugs worked out, the gauge is next on my list.

beerchug.gif
ww914
QUOTE(bembry @ Aug 1 2012, 03:44 PM) *

How much did those run you?

A little over $550, which includes the new insert. I did all the work.
aharder
Looks Great !! beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Good work Warren.
rnellums
Did you remove the engine to put the CHT's on? or just the engine tin? or are you a magician? I'm trying to decide whether to drop the motor out of the racecar to do it or not.
ww914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Aug 2 2012, 06:17 AM) *

Did you remove the engine to put the CHT's on? or just the engine tin? or are you a magician? I'm trying to decide whether to drop the motor out of the racecar to do it or not.

No, I am not a magician, I actually drilled the holes and attached the leads before I installed the engine. I did not remove the engine tins. I did rig up a small hose on my shop vac to catch most of the drilling debris that was inserted through the tin spark plug hole. The idea here is to be able to see the lead in place before installing the spark plugs. Of course, it is easy with the engine out. Haven't done it yet with the engine in.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.