Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor drop for valve adjustment 2.7 Conversion??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
ohmy.gif My wrench just called me and said the bottom valve covers will not clear the trailing arms on my car. It's a 74 conversion with a 2.7. He states a motor drop is the only way to adjust the bottom, this to me sounds weird. Anyone with a 2.7 can you confirm this, He measured the studs and the space he has before pulling them so he has not actually tried to manipulate them off. I expected exhaust to have to come off, but not a motor drop. Ferg. sad.gif
Lawrence
Do you have turbo covers on the lowers?

When I put my turbo covers on, they wouldn't fit unless they were milled down a bit. Makes me wonder if someone didn't happen to weasel a set into place, and now he can't get them off.

Headers or HEs?

I'll be curious to hear how this turns out.

-Rusty
Gint
It's been in there all is this time and hitting?

Do you have the turbo lower covers?
Ferg
Yep turbo covers and heat but not factory heat, have not figured out what kind of exchangers are on it, but definately aftermarket. So what he is doing is checking the top side to determine how my valves are, the are not noisy, I've only had this car a month, and this is more of a base line tune up to see where I'm at. According to the PO it has 8k since full rebuild and one adjust after break in. Sounds like he could possibly dremmil out some extra material on the turbo covers to clear it eh?
Gint
I've never trimmed a set, so I can't say. There is a thread on this BBS with a pic somewhere. Do a search.

MDB2.gif
Gint
Here it is.

One of my own threads even. I knew I'd seen pics somewhere. Page 2, Brad posted before and after trimming pics. It looks a little involved to be doing with the motor in the car.
Ferg
Thanks mike, just found it as well. Hopefully the tops are in good enough spec to not worry about the bottoms for a little bit, my wrench or myself was not prepared to drop the motor this week. Once again this board answers the question in 20 min or less. Amazing. Thanks Ferg. clap56.gif
Brad Roberts
With pics !!!

Thanks Gint. I owe you (Like I owe everyone)

I love this board.

B
meursault
Granted, I haven't tried this with turbo valve covers, but I had clearance problems with the regular style stuff on a previous conversion car of mine. I replaced some of the upper studs with bolts to get access. It's a possible solution if you're squeamish about shaving those turbo valve covers.
Gint
Thanks Gint. I owe you (Like I owe everyone)

Hey, I was just re-directing to pics you yourself posted Brad. If I remember correctly, you were trying to help me.
Ferg
Here's how its gonna be. He checked all the top and none were more than a couple thousands off, and according to him, all the plugs were very good and even ect. I'll get it back tonight, and next week, a different shop is gonna do a partial drop, remove the lower covers and do the grind, and adjust the bottom valves. Kinda glad I did not attemt this myself cause it would have been my first time doing 911 valves, and the car would be on stands for weeks at the rate I work. rolleyes.gif . Thanks again to Ginter and all. I have pic's but they are to large as soon as I get them on my website I will post a link. Ferg.
Gint
Why a different shop? And which shop?
Ferg
It's gonna go to carquip, less than one mile away, they have a grinder there and have done this before. They can't even look at it until next week. I was gonna have them do everthing to begin with but they did not want to touch my car... and sent me to The guy who has it now. He really did not want to do the drop himself. confused24.gif Ferg.
Gint
I'm surprised Carquip is going to even do it.
Lawrence
What's Carquip?
Gint
They are a shop in Boulder that USED to do P-car work. They still sell new and used Porsche parts. They advertise in Pano even. I'm not really certain what their main line of business is at this point though.

They are also the host of the one and only annual PCA Swap Meet in February. I might try to organize a swap for fall after the race season is over. I think all the locals could benefit from a second swap.
Ferg
Bunch of very nice people... www.carquip.com they have a lot of used parts ect. They have been around a while and have some pretty hard to find stuff, mostly 911 but some good 914 stuff as well. Plus a wicked cool old bmw motorcycle with a 4 cam carrera 356 motor in it. I'm not joking. Ferg.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.