Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ATS Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flippa
I think I am an addict, I have a 914 hoarding problem.

I just went to look at a 1973 1.7 this weekend. It is real good looking at 10 feet but it turns out that it is a typical east coast car. It has had the longs repaired once already and it was repainted. Once I started digging into it, I found the hell hole damage was not repaired, and the wall between the passanger compartment & engine bay is rotted out due to the old soundproofing material and it would need a rear floor.

I showed the seller all the damage, and he stated "well, this fucher is going to the scrap yard, I want my car trailer back." Really? idea.gif Asked him if he would part with the rims, and he threw me a price for the whole car that I couldn't pass up. I am going to evaluate it when I get it home, but have a feeling that it may be too far gone to repair.

I bought it for the rims as I really like the look of them. I searched the site but haven't found much information on them. Were these a dealer option? Anyone have any input on them?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
seanery
they've been mentioned for sure, they look like a copy of Campagnolo Alfa Romeo wheels. I think they're nice looking, but nothing beats 4 and 5 lug Fuchs (IMHO).
Porschef
I like em. All I know is they're made in Germany.

Are you planning a rest or a part out? Ifn it's the latter, shades.gif
Katmanken
AA sold them many years ago. Might have VW Beetle spacing.
mepstein
Car has a ton of nice parts. Nice score.
einic
These are bug wheels. I took a set from my super beetle and put them on my 72 914. I think they look good on it. ATS was very popular in Norway in the 80s, especially on bugs. You could get the 5,5" with E25 or E34.
URY914
I always liked them.
Dave_Darling
They were also made for 914s as well as bugs, I believe. They were very popular in Europe; check the "914 Caught by Camera" book and you'll see quite a few cars with them.

I like the look, myself! But you don't see a whole lot of them in the 'States from what I have seen.

It looks like the tires on there right now are 185s, and that the sidewall is pretty close to the fender. If so, you may not be able to fit the now-standard 205s on that car.

--DD
shuie
I have a set of these in 15x7. They are surprisingly lightweight. Cool wheels.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(shuie @ Aug 13 2012, 01:25 PM) *

I have a set of these in 15x7. They are surprisingly lightweight. Cool wheels.

Always liked them, see how the shape of the spokes is similar to the shape of sail panel of a 914 ?
RON S.
My 914-6 had 3 of those wheels on it when I got my car back in 1998.

It took me 10 years, to track down a 4th wheel to make a full set. When I did, I actually found a pair of them on Ebay over in Europe.

I got lucky as I contacted Jeroen, and he got them and sent them over here. Now I actually have 5 of them.

They do look good on a flared 914.

Here's a really old pic from back in the day when I was doing the Hell Hole/Longitudinal repairs.
Ah, good Times, Happy Days biggrin.gif

Ron
shuie
Heres a 4 lug in 15x7

IPB Image
r_towle
Dibs on the tub when you are done stipping it smile.gif

rich
flippa
THis is probably a stupid question, but is there a big difference between bug & 914 rims? I thought they were interchangable aside from being wider.

I really like the look of these rims. My 75 1.8 came with steel wheels, and I also have complete sets of Riviera and Fuch wheels. I was planning on using the Fuch, but I really like the look of these.

The ATS wheels are 5.5"x15" and they do currently have 185s on them (which are junk). I will have to look at the fender clearances before buying tires. I used to run 205s on my 74 2.0 which had Fuchs. They used to rub the front fenders a little; as I recall my buddy rolled the lip of hte front fenders when he painted it.

I have to drop the engine and evaluate if the car is worth saving. THe hell hole looks real bad from the top. I can't tell how bad until I remove the FI brain and other stuff out of the way. The car is not sagging, and the doors close OK. Passenger door gaps are good, but it kinda feels odd when you close it.

THe car is fairly unmolested; still has the fuel injection, etc. If it is too far gone it has a ton of good parts on it. Stainless steel heater boxes, brand new starter, most of a factory installed AC system, windshield looks new, newer looking suspention pieces and the rims.

I almost talked myself out of going (the wife breaks my chops over the whole car parts hording thing) but I am real glad I took the ride & bought it.
flippa
I gotta make it out your way Rich, you are a bigger horder than I am. I will have to bring the wife to show her that I'm not too bad biggrin.gif . She calls me Fred Sanford and hums the tune when I bring shit home.

If it is too far gone for me to repair, at least I know that I have a place to dump the carcass smile.gif .

I might have to fix it though, it is a pretty car. I like Olympic Blue; I had a 71 bug in High School that was almost the same color.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
The key difference in the wheels is the offset.
Put a straight edge on the rim and measure to the mounting face on the back of the wheel.
Bug wheels have a larger offset than 914 wheels so you are limited in how wide you can go with the rubber or it hits

You know you always have a place to dump a car if you dont want it...I do have a problem smile.gif
My son and I whistle the sanford and son song frequently.

We are heading to the pomona swap meet in CA in October...that will most likely net me a new porject or two.
VW, maybe, hotrod , possibly...we shall see.

rich
poorsche914
Here is a picture of the ATS with VW offset.

IPB Image

driving.gif
flippa
They gotta be for a 914 then; those are different than the ones on my car.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(flippa @ Aug 13 2012, 06:11 PM) *

THis is probably a stupid question, but is there a big difference between bug & 914 rims? I thought they were interchangable aside from being wider.

I thought that the Bug wheels were moved further out in the fender toward the outside of the car? But the picture above seems to show a wheel that would be further inboard.

... most of a factory installed AC system...

Dealer-installed. There wasn't a factory-installed one (except for on George's 916). Or possibly importer-installed, or PO-installed.

--DD
flippa
I did mean to write dealer installed blink.gif .

I had it in my 74, but never got it working. Never really need it, the car was always topless.

I found it kinda funny what a hack job AC install was in my old car, the opening in the front trunk looked like hell from underneath and there was buchery in the engine compartment as well.
bcheney
QUOTE(flippa @ Aug 13 2012, 03:07 PM) *

I think I am an addict, I have a 914 hoarding problem.

I just went to look at a 1973 1.7 this weekend. It is real good looking at 10 feet but it turns out that it is a typical east coast car. It has had the longs repaired once already and it was repainted. Once I started digging into it, I found the hell hole damage was not repaired, and the wall between the passanger compartment & engine bay is rotted out due to the old soundproofing material and it would need a rear floor.

I showed the seller all the damage, and he stated "well, this fucher is going to the scrap yard, I want my car trailer back." Really? idea.gif Asked him if he would part with the rims, and he threw me a price for the whole car that I couldn't pass up. I am going to evaluate it when I get it home, but have a feeling that it may be too far gone to repair.

I bought it for the rims as I really like the look of them. I searched the site but haven't found much information on them. Were these a dealer option? Anyone have any input on them?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

They are quality wheels. If you paint the background semi gloss black and leave the raised surface edges silver along with the lips they look great. My roommate in college had them like that. I will look for a picture and post if I find it.
bcheney
They are quality wheels. If you paint the background semi gloss black and leave the raised surface edges silver along with the lips they look great. My roommate in college had them like that. I will look for a picture and post if I find it.

Found the pic of my roomates car. They really look cool on a 914.

maf914
Years ago I bought a set of ATS wheels from Electrodyne, a Porsche parts mail-order place in Virginia. They were 5.5" x 15", with more positive offset than the stock steel wheels on my car. I went from the stock 165 x 15 tires to 185/70 x 15 tires at the time. There wasn't much room between the rear fender lip and rear wheel/tire, so I don't think anything wider would fit without pulling or rolling the fender. They were good wheels and I never had any problems with them. They did have their own wheel bolts. I later changed wheel types and sold them on the Pelican Board.

When I was working in Germany I saw a couple of 914's with GT flares using the 7" wide ATS wheels and thought they looked pretty good. I would have picked up a set, but they were apparently discontinued by ATS. The 7" wheels are noticeably deeper dished than the 5.5" wheels.

My wheels looked like the ones on flippa's light blue 914 and bcheney's friend's red car, with respect to offset. Mine were solid silver in color.
jimkelly
make sure you are running them with the correct - shouldered - lug bolts.

jim
URY914
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 14 2012, 11:47 AM) *

jim

Which can be hard to find.
flippa
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 14 2012, 12:05 PM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 14 2012, 11:47 AM) *

jim

Which can be hard to find.

So how do I know if these wheels have the correct bolts? confused24.gif Are they marked?
URY914
The mouting surface of the bolt to the wheel is flat not tapered. thesamba.com would be your best bet to find them.

I'll see if I can find a pic.
URY914
These bolts are tapered.

Click to view attachment

mittelmotor
Here's a pic of the 15x7 wheel. Jacked into position because I'm waiting on torsion bars. mad.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Aug 14 2012, 08:00 PM) *

Here's a pic of the 15x7 wheel. Jacked into position because I'm waiting on torsion bars. mad.gif

Man, that is sweet. Raveena is the best color for a 914.....

Right after Nepal Orinch aktion035.gif
mittelmotor
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 14 2012, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Aug 14 2012, 08:00 PM) *

Man, that is sweet. Raveena is the best color for a 914.....

The photo really does make it look like Raveena (my favorite too!) but it's actually Saturn Yellow. It never turns out the same way twice in pics, and the flourescent garage lights have something to do with it.

Right after Nepal Orinch aktion035.gif

draganc
Great wheels. I have a set of 15x7 that should fit on a narrow body. Not confirmed yet since my car has a have case of jack-stand at the moment.

I found the silver car on the internet with silver ATS rims and photoshoped the color to gold, pretending to be Mag wheels.

Yes, very light, made in Germany, where ATS is a very popular aftermarket brand like BBS but not as $$$. I believe ATS makes some wheels for newer Mercedes.
Type 47
Got them on my 75'
IPB Image
shuie
Here's a 15x7 four lug on a 205/50 Hoosier. Fenders pulled and the lips are rolled.

IPB Image
draganc
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Aug 15 2012, 05:40 PM) *

Got them on my 75'
IPB Image

Great looking car collection. Are those ATS 5.5 or 7 inch wide and how about the tire size?
Dragan
maf914
The wheels on the black 914 are 5.5". The spokes on the 5.5" wheels are almost flush with the outside of the wheel rim. The spokes on the 7" wheels are recessed into the wheels and the rims have a deeper dished look. See Mittelmotor's and Shuie's photos above.
Bub
ATS Wheels are about the sexiest wheels ever. If Porsches are like the Volvo market they were never offered here. I have 10 of those for vintage Volvo's ,(been a Volvo tech for about 20 years). If I could find a set for a 914 I'd be in heaven.

My first post,BTW!
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Bub @ Sep 8 2012, 10:12 PM) *

ATS Wheels are about the sexiest wheels ever. If Porsches are like the Volvo market they were never offered here. I have 10 of those for vintage Volvo's ,(been a Volvo tech for about 20 years). If I could find a set for a 914 I'd be in heaven.

My first post,BTW!

welcome.png

Got any that fit a '65 122S Wagon??? idea.gif
Bub
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 8 2012, 10:42 PM) *

My first post,BTW!

welcome.png

Wish I did. All mine fit 140's,164's etc. In Sweden they have them that fit later Volvo 240's. Much like the ones for 914's and VW bugs the offset is key......
Bub
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Sep 8 2012, 10:42 PM) *

My first post,BTW!

welcome.png

Should have mentioned I do have bolt in 4 wheel disc brake upgardes for early Volvos that would accommodate those wheels!
mittelmotor

My first post,BTW!

Congrats on first post! Welcome!

Here's a coupe of shots of the 15x7s on my car. Veeerrry tight with a 225/50-15 on the back, with a moderate fender pull and rolled lip. Car is not aligned yet, but a quick jackstand/string alignment shows the left rear is near zero toe (where I want it) and right rear is slightly toed out...but there's more space to work with, so it all should work out. Had to go with the 225...love the look, and I need to hook up my LS1 horsepower! piratenanner.gif

Left rear has a very light rub/squeak when hitting a big bump...very livable. I bet 205s would work easily here, maybe without a pull.

Plenty of room up front; tires here are 205/50-15. My car has 911 struts/hubs/brakes, so I'm not sure how lateral spacing compares with stock 914.
euro911
Mine don't look anywhere as nice as you guys', but I like the styling

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.