Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which 17" wheel?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
I currently have Fuchs 16 x 8&9s, and want to get a set of 17" wheels so there are better track tire choices (will be running 225/45/17 and 245/40/17).

Which 17" wheel do you think would look best on a 914? I've narrowed my choices down to:

Lindsey Racing 17" Fuchs P2
Fikse Profil 10
Kinesis K27

I'm leaning towards the Lindsey Racing 17" Fuchs because Fuchs' just look so right on a 914. But, I already have a set of 16" Fuchs so thought I'd consider something else. I'm afraid the other wheels will look too "modern" on a 914.

I don't have many good side pictures of my car, but here is one...

Whaddya think?

-Steve
siverson
17" Fuchs:
siverson
Fikse:
siverson
Kinesis:
Mueller
I have those Fikse rims....nice to be able to repair 'em by replacing a rim half (had to do this once)....the rims are a PITA to keep clean with all the little spokes...

Those Fuchs look "okay", but to me, the center section looks too small compared to the outer half (ratio looks wrong)
Andyrew
Honestly IF it where my car, I'd get the Fikse... I love that updated look.

If its track...

Which ones are lighter?

Andrew
siverson
I think they are all very close in both weight and price...

-Steve
MattR
My vote is for the Fikse wheels.
Bigbohr
QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 23 2004, 10:27 PM)
... want to get a set of 17" wheels so there are better track tire choices (will be running 225/45/17 and 245/40/17)

Sorry for not keeping to your shortlist, but if you want rims for tracktires why not go with cupwheels? Many people don't like how they look on a 914 but who cares for a track wheel. I paid $400 for a set of those with correct offset for a 914. For Fikses etc. you'll have to pay more than that for each wheel.
That said, if you want to have good looking wheels I think those Lindsey wheels are cool beans!
Jeroen
If it's just for track wheels... I agree with bighbohr
Go get a set of Cup1 wheels which can be had in the correct offset (so no spacers needed and you can swap em with your 16" Fuchs easily)

If money is no object... Go for the 3 piece 17" Fuchs wheels that HRE makes wub.gif
siverson
Hmmm... That's not a bad idea, but I thought all of the later wheels would require use of spacers. Which wheel are you talking about?

-Steve

This one?
siverson
Or this one?
siverson
Or this one?
Jeroen
First pic is the Cup1 wheel in 16"
Came on the 964 and 968 cars

Second pic is the Cup1 wheel in 17"
Came on the same cars as above

Third pic is the 17" Cup2 wheel
Came on the 993

You can get the 17" cup1 and cup2 design as replica's (same manufacturer as the originals), but with offsets for earlier 911s ('till 1989) so you won't need spacers.
ChrisReale
FWIW, I have seen, handled, fondled, caressed, rubbed a Fikse wheel, and they are very well made. They are local to the Seattle area, so many guys who AX in that area use them on their 911's. Never seen them on 914's, but Im sure it will work out great rocking nana.gif
fiid
I'd love to see some pics of these on the car.

Also - don't forget you can get 5-lug or 4lug revolution wheels which are 17s.

Fiid.
soloracer
kinesis 914
soloracer
Fikse 914
soloracer
914 with C2 Rims
Mueller
AKAIK, no factory Cup wheels are available with the correct offset for a 914 w/flares...the aftermarket Cup wheels are very heavy and a few have cracked (during track use)

C2 rims are the incorrect offset as well (spacers still needed)...by going with any of the 3 custom choices, no spacers are needed.
Jeroen
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 25 2004, 03:51 AM)
AKAIK, no factory Cup wheels are available with the correct offset for a 914 w/flares...the aftermarket Cup wheels are very heavy and a few have cracked (during track use)

The early offset cupwheels are not sold by Porsche, but they are available from the same manufacturer that makes the original 964/993 wheels. These are made in Italy (cant recall the brand name right now).

They are slightly heavier than the stock 964/993 wheels, but that's logical because the spacers are part of the wheel.

They are also available from some other brands/manufacturers.
Just make sure you get TüV approved wheels (German or European brands) and you will have no cracking or other safety issues

cheers,

Jeroen
Aaron Cox
mille miglia?
914Timo
the aftermarket Cup wheels are very heavy

agree.gif

Fikse would be my choice.
machina
there is a nice set of Fikse's on e-bay. Offsets and widths for a 930 but you can order new rim halfs to make them work.
Jeroen
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 25 2004, 05:01 AM)
mille miglia?

yep, that's them...
iamchappy
If you like the Fuch look, here are the HRE 311's
DougC
I say Lindsey's 17" Fuchs. Wonder if anyone's put them on a 914? I've never seen a picture on one..

Doug C
Nick
For the HRE 311s is the center "fuch" section of the wheel larger than the Lindsey P2/P3? Is the difference between HRE and Lindsey that HRE makes the 311 from scratch and Lindsey takes your old fuch and welds on a wider rim/ taller. I guess the simpler way of putting this is do the HRE wheels have better proportions between the center of the rim in a 17 size than the Lindsey?

Nick
siverson
I think both 17" Fuchs are made from 16x6 Fuchs, so the centers are the same.

-Steve
seanery
my buddy paul had the HRE's on his carrera (pic below) they were nice wheels but took 3 times to get made the right size/offset.

I like the Lindsey wheels myself and am considering them for bluecar.
Stutgart46
Hey soloracer, do you have any more pics of that Yellow/Kinesis car? Man that looks good from the side.
soloracer
As you wish. Pic #1
soloracer
soloracer
soloracer
soloracer
soloracer
soloracer
The car was for sale on e-bay some time ago. I believe it sold for around $23000US.
gopack
I vote for kinesis, but i like these better
THis is the car that inspired me to start my project!
watsonrx13
Soloracer, are the fenders Sheridan's standard bodyworks?

Does anyone have any pics of how these fenders are attached?
94teener
These are nice 17 inch wheels:
94teener
Another pic:
Stutgart46
Soloracer, Thanks for posting the pics.
All of these cars look great.
You know that yellow car must have had a ton of $$$ in it. If it sold for $23K, someone got a deal.
Series9
I like the Cup IIs. Yes, I had to use spacers and 100mm studs, but they're what I wanted. They'll be powder coated flat black soon.

From your list: Fikse.
fiid
clap56.gif yum.

I like the Fikses.

Say after me:

Fikse Fuch Fikse Fuch Fikse Fuch Fukse Fich Fikse Fuch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.