Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Type Fuel Cap for the Rocket is almost finished
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RON S.
My next project for the rocket will be to convert the Fuel and oil caps over to the Blau 110mm for the fuel, and 80mm cap for the oil tank.

I just received these caps today from a guy over in Europe. I answered an old posting in the classifieds over on the bird board, and I shocked that he still had a few sets left. I got the caps and the filler necks. The Fuel cap is as received, and is actually polished Stainless Steel. The oil cap is polished Aluminum. Both are genuine Blau caps as stamped on the bottom. Made in Austria.

The caps in the pics are just laid there for size reference.

On the fuel side I am going to have the fuel cap go up through the hood, and have a locking gas gap hidden below the Blau cap when it is removed. The Blau gap will be secured with a lanyard to keep it from getting stolen. I'm going to raise mine up high enough so the cap is level with the hood line.

On the oil side I'll probably butcher up a 911 oil inlet to mount the cap to.

Both caps will have a handle made to remove them easily like the GT units. This looks to be a good fall project.

Ron
shuie
Cool. Im going through the hood with mine also.

Dave at TRE can source the Blau caps and necks if anyone else is looking.
http://www.tremotorsports.com/

GeorgeK from the S Registry/Pelican is a nice guy too. He has had a source for these from prior to 2005 and has shipped a bunch of them to the US.

RON S.
Got some work done on the cap installation. Scary day as it was time to cut the hole in a perfectly good Getty GT type hood. No going back now

I made a 1/2'' spacer to set it up high enough to go through the hood, but not set to high.
I also removed the original cap flanges from the neck, and that allowed for the setting of the new fuel neck.
I found that the neck from a 67-72 Ford F-series pickup will slide right into the 914 neck very snuggly.
Then I went to the auto parts store and got a STANT locking gas cap to fit the new receiver.

It all fits under the 110mm Blau cap with no clearance issues.

The hardest part today was cringing when I took a jigsaw to my Getty GT hood.
Scared to death I'd ruin it, but it turned out okay.
After the initial hole was cut, I printed out a hole template, taped it to the hood, and slowly opened up the with my Dremel. I used the barrel sander attachment to get the hole just right w/out ruining the paint. I finished off the hole with a piece of rubber edging to smooth the look.
Next up is welding up the receiver, and lasering out the bat handle for the cap.

Ron
RON S.

A few more to complete today's work.

Ron
Harpo
I love the look of this. I spoke to someone at TRE who told me thiers starts as galvanized then they have a two step powder coating process after they attach the GT handle. I also traded PM's with George on the bird site and his are also available, although the details are still unclear

My question is if I cut a hole in my factory hood do I have to either roll the lip or some how reinforce the hood to prevent oil canning?

Thanks

David
RON S.
QUOTE(Harpo @ Aug 27 2012, 03:10 PM) *

I love the look of this. I spoke to someone at TRE who told me thiers starts as galvanized then they have a two step powder coating process after they attach the GT handle. I also traded PM's with George on the bird site and his are also available, although the details are still unclear

My question is if I cut a hole in my factory hood do I have to either roll the lip or some how reinforce the hood to prevent oil canning?

Thanks

David

Dave,
I thought really long and hard about calling TRE for info. Their kit is tailored for a 911 so all I would've been interested in would have been the cap and receiver. Plus, @ 700.00 bucks or so, it is a pricey piece.
So, I answered this add from the Bird board.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ap-new-nos.html

The add was a year old, and I figured the caps would all be gone. I emailed the seller, over in the Netherlands, and he sent me a note back saying still had a couple sets left. I confirmed that his caps were genuine Blau, and that the fuel cap was 110mm and stainless, and that the oil cap was 86mm and aluminum.

So, 1 Paypal transaction on $210.00 later, I acquired 2 caps and 2 receivers.
I received them from the seller in about 1 week, all the way from Europe.
A Good guy to deal with. he sent pictures over every step of the shipment. Packaging, the box, my address on the box, and the postal tracking#.
I think he still has a set or 2 left.

I'm glad I jumped on I when I did, I've envied the look, on every 914 I've seen it done to.

Also, I'm not sure about your hood, but mine is fiberglass, and it doesnt seem to affect it's structural integrity. If yours is steel, I'm sure it is stronger. Some rubber edge protector from Mcmaster or others will clean up the hole after it's cut.

Ron sunglasses.gif
Harpo
TRE quoted me $215 (I believe) for just the cap. George quoted me $180 for one cap & one receiver. I preferr the stainless Steel but I like the GT handle from TRE. It looks like our very own brake extraordinare (Eric) makes the GT handle.

Thanks

DAvid
shuie
That looks really good. Nice work!

Im also going to use the stock filler neck plate. I'd rather have the smaller opening to hold the gas nozzle instead of a big 4"+ open hole where anything can fly or fall down into the tank. I'll cut it and weld it to the inside of my filler neck.

The last filler necks I bought from Dave at TRE were ~$35, IIRC. That is probably about what they cost wholesale. GeorgeK sold them at his cost when he was shipping them to the US back before 2005. This is the short metal pipe section attached to the 356B cap in the pic below. It needs to be attached to the tank, or an extended piece of pipe if you want to go through the hood.

I don't know what they cost now, but you could buy the Blau repro caps from the VW shops like Wolfsburg West, etc., for ~$20 a few years ago. I bought half-a-dozen of them to keep as spares. edit: I just checked Wolfsburg West and they are currently out of stock and listed for $33.

If you need to extend the filler neck ask a diesel service shop that installs truck exhausts for a piece of scrap pipe. They will probably have a scrap bin w/short sections of several different sizes of pipe. Just find a short piece that will slip fit the filler neck. 4" will be really close. The shop I went to gave me a section of stainless scrap that was perfect.

For the overflow bowl, you can use a cheap stainless dog or cat food bowl from Walmart for ~$2.

You still need to cut & fit everything, get it aligned, drill the hole in the hood, install some kind of lip on the hood, and then silver solder or braze it all together, but at least the components are available and not too expensive.

I started test fitting my parts last week. Gratuitous pics...

IPB Image

IPB Image
OU8AVW
I have a special tool for cutting holes.

Click to view attachment
jasons
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Aug 31 2012, 11:06 AM) *

I have a special tool for cutting holes.

I am guessing he roughed the hole in to pinpoint the location of the yet to be installed filler neck. You can always clean up an ugly small hole. However a clean yet misplaced big hole is harder to correct.

RON S.
QUOTE(shuie @ Aug 31 2012, 10:46 AM) *

For the overflow bowl, you can use a cheap stainless dog or cat food bowl from Walmart for ~$2.

Shuie,
That stainless dog food bowl is a great idea on the Cheap.

Also just to update,

I have programmed The Bat Handle for the cap, and Bought a 12''x12'' piece of .048 #8 High Polish stainless from McMaster-Carr, to have the handle and base plates laser cut.

I am awaiting the quote from my Laser cutter to cut up the sheet. /the yield on the sheet is going to be 13 handle/base plate sets, so I'll have plenty left over.

Hopefully, next week I'll get the quote back and will give them the go ahead to cut up the handles.
I should be able to wrap this up in a month.

Ron
Looks great!
Harpo
Here is what I have come up with so far. The Ford gas tank neck is proud of the Porsche neck by 10mm. Waiting patiently for the blau caps from the neatherlands.

Click to view attachment
RON S.

David,

Lookin good so far, I can see by the pic that you've got the later style Ford neck with the shorter cap retaining lip.

The Stant Cap# 10491 will fit it with no mods.

One note, of caution, do not weld the new neck and receiver together until you have the Blau cap and receiver in hand....

When you get the new cap and receiver and place both over the Stant cap you'll notice the interference, and you'll have to compensate for it.

Ron
911_2.2T
QUOTE(Harpo @ Sep 3 2012, 08:02 PM) *

Waiting patiently for the blau caps from the neatherlands.

David,
The caps and necks are on its way sunglasses.gif
I have one set left currently, but I can get more Fuel caps and necks if needed to make new sets. Just became a member of this community since I was surprised by the sudden interest in the sets...

Ron,
Great job on this! You might want to make the fin a little less high up.
I'll drop you a picture of the one I have on my 911 hotrod.
You might want to make a dozen or more of these, I think there is plenty of interest for separate polished fins.
(and apologies for hyjacking this post)

As a side note on the sets I have:
I actually started offering these as a set when there was little interest in just the oil caps, to get rid of my stock.
The Oil caps are actually the rare part of this set, since they are the genuine 60's - 70's Aluminum Blau artifact with cork seal and all. If you watch the Le Mans movie closely, you will see a shot of the pits with the mechanics working the 917 where they have 2 of these oil caps lying around between the tools.
I doubt that anyone else is currently offering these same Oil caps, they have been NLA for over 20 years or more. I happened to stumble on some old stock in Austriaand bought the guys entire box w00t.gif

Currently more fiddeling with the 911's, but I must say that the 914-6GT is an appealing machine! My current ride is here:
http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...ighlight=hotrod
RON S.
I finally got the parts for the fuel filler neck aligned, fit, and tack welded together for final fitment.

I took a air cleaner cap from a 8hp horizontal Briggs engine and used it to make the rain catch tray that will be welded to he receiver, but sit under the hood.

Another week or to, and the finished filler neck will go off to the powder coater for a shot of semi-gloss black. I also found a stainless steel sink strainer at Lowes for about 4 bucks that I will insert between the filler neck and the gas tank, just to keep crap from falling into the fuel tank due to it now having such a large opening.

Ron sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif biggrin.gif
RON S.
Fit up pics of the rain tray...

Next up will be to get the pieces waterjetted for the bat handle that I'll have tig welded to the Blau Cap.

I have made 2 different designs to try out. I with a flat top, and another with a curved top that matches the curve of the top of the Blau cap.

Ron
Harpo
Looks good Ron. I'm still waiting patiently for mine, hopefully tomorrow.

David
Harpo
Yea they finally arrived. Now to order some sheet stock from mcmaster carr to extend it 1/2 inch

Click to view attachment
RON S.
QUOTE(Harpo @ Sep 12 2012, 04:06 PM) *

Yea they finally arrived. Now to order some sheet stock from mcmaster carr to extend it 1/2 inch

Click to view attachment

Dave,

Brand new in the box Huh beerchug.gif I know your feelin good.

I gotta tell you. remember when you asked Alex if he would only sell you the fuel cap because that was the only one you really were interested in??? well, I communicated w/Alex the other day, and he told me that the brand new NOS aluminum oil caps that we now posess have been out of production from Blau for over 20 years. That he found them almost by accident, and bought out the guy's entire stash years ago, on a maybe that someday he may have a use for them. He also bought all his stainless fuel caps and said that they are getting hard to source in Europe

Can you say rare.... KaChing$$$$$$. Point is, even if you don't use the oil cap, someday you may be able to get your entire investment back by a sale of that 1 cap.

They are great pieces aren't they.. biggrin.gif

Ron
RON S.

I've gotten the fuel filler tube fully welded up, and fitting the way it will forever. The drain hose and vent hose are set and functional.

Last up is setting the height of the rain water catch ray. I'll do that over the weekend, and cleanup the welds. Next week, the filler will go off to the powder coater for a shot of semi-gloss black to finish.

I had my local gasket company whittle me up a 1/4'' thick neoprene gasket that raises the whole unit up a little more for what I fell is a nice height. With the varying gasket thicknesses I can adjust the total height to what ever I wish.

Now if I could only get my quote back to finish he bat handle dry.gif I'd fell a lot better.

Ron
Harpo
Yes, I was very happy with the caps. The gas cap is huge! Looks very nice Ron.

DAvid
RON S.
It has taken a while to get a couple of designs lasered but here are the 2 I've settled on.

One design is a curved top, and the other design has a flat top. Both are 4 hole designs.
The material is .048 thick stainless, came mirror polished on one side.

Please give me some feedback, good or bad. Does it look to weak??, too heavy??

In the pics, nothing is welded up yet. Pieces are just sitting there loosely.

I also will post pics soon of 2 of the standup parts back to back, sitting on the base for more feedback.

Ron
RON S.
I took several shots because the reflectivity of the finish seemed to make the parts look transparent..

Here are some more curved, then the flat handles.

Ron
Harpo
Looks great Ron. The reason why I'm leaning towards doubling up the top piece is that I want it to be rigid and I want the mirror finish on both sides.

Sending PM

DAvid
RON S.

I thought I should post some pics of the finished filler..

Sorry if they are Blurry....

You can't see it, but I also took a stainless steel sink strainer from Lowes, and modified it to fit below the bottom gasket.
I put it there to stop anything from falling into the tank with the cap off.
Wow. Great work
porbmw
Nice!
Very nice! smile.gif
RON S.
Today I'm posting pics of the handle with double thickness uprights.

First the curved design..
RON S.
Lastly the flat top design. Keep in mind that nothing is welded, and the uprights are held together with cellophane tape.

I'll pick one or the other, and weld it up....
RON S.
I finally got my parts back from my cutter the other day.

I also got my 1st sample piece back from my Tig welder. No real warpage, and not much burn through either.

The handle on the cap is welded together, but not welded to the cap yet...

Next week, I'll drop off all the extra parts to my Tigger welder.gif for final welding.

Then to finish it off, I'll send my completed cap out to a polisher to buff it to perfection....
Harpo
Look great Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.